Improving fitness Watch

AntiLearner
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
for 3 weeks I was doing little cardio, more weights and eating about 1000 more (clean) calories than usual. I was hoping to gain muscle and weight, but now I want to work towards getting fitter instead as I've gained fat with little muscle. would this routine work? my stats; 5'6, 18, 57kg. I know that you're prob thinking I should be trying to gain more weight still, but for now I only want to improve my fitness and reduce fat so I'm leaner and so that my stamina's improved, and if it's possible still gain some muscle by continuing with weights. what do you think;

monday - chest, triceps, and 20 mins of moderate-paced cardio
tuesday - 20 mins moderate, 20-30 mins HIIT
wednesday - biceps, legs, 20 mins cardio
thursday - 20 mins moderate, 20-30 mins HIIT
friday - back, shoulders, 20 mins cardio

what would I be achieving? fat loss primarily right, but would I still be gaining muscle as I will still be lifting on 3 days? I want to target fat loss first, but I don't want to be left as a bag of bones, which is why I want to lift weights still. if I have 4 meals a day, say;

breakfast - porridge, fruit
post w/o - tuna mayo sandwich
lunch - eggs and beans/fish and mash
dinner - chicken and veg
plus nuts, fruit, oats, milk, water throughout the day.

would that be good? I want to achieve better athletic fitness atm, not focusing on getting bigger anymore. I think I'll work towards that once I've improved my fitness with this routine. do you think I'll be achieving what I want this way?
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you've eaten enough but put on fat not muscle, you're either not sleeping enough, not eating clean enough, eating waaay too much, not working out hard enough.

57kg should be very lean already.

Swap shoulders and back, or better give shoulders their own day. If you're going heavy on rows etc you will be using your arms pretty well in those exercises.

Diet seems good, could be better though. Protein in the morning, use nuts, whey or something in the porrdige. or have a couple of eggs. How much you're eating depends on your BMR though.

If you want athleticfitness try weight circuits
rache11a
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm wanting to loose a stone in weight. Does anyone have any advice on which excercise is the best to do? Please don't say running as I'm terrible at it.
I have an excercise bike, will this make any difference if I do 45 mins a day?
thanks
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rache11a)
I'm wanting to loose a stone in weight. Does anyone have any advice on which excercise is the best to do? Please don't say running as I'm terrible at it.
I have an excercise bike, will this make any difference if I do 45 mins a day?
thanks
nice hijack

yes using an exercise bike for 45 minutes a day will make a difference. Make sure you actually put some effort in though.
rache11a
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How blunt. Of course I will.
It's just I once read that doing the same routine of excercise daily starts to not make a difference after a while, as you're using the same muscles or something?!
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AntiLearner)
for 3 weeks I was doing little cardio, more weights and eating about 1000 more (clean) calories than usual. I was hoping to gain muscle and weight, but now I want to work towards getting fitter instead as I've gained fat with little muscle. would this routine work? my stats; 5'6, 18, 57kg. I know that you're prob thinking I should be trying to gain more weight still, but for now I only want to improve my fitness and reduce fat so I'm leaner and so that my stamina's improved, and if it's possible still gain some muscle by continuing with weights. what do you think;

monday - chest, triceps, and 20 mins of moderate-paced cardio
tuesday - 20 mins moderate, 20-30 mins HIIT
wednesday - biceps, legs, 20 mins cardio
thursday - 20 mins moderate, 20-30 mins HIIT
friday - back, shoulders, 20 mins cardio

what would I be achieving? fat loss primarily right, but would I still be gaining muscle as I will still be lifting on 3 days? I want to target fat loss first, but I don't want to be left as a bag of bones, which is why I want to lift weights still. if I have 4 meals a day, say;

breakfast - porridge, fruit
post w/o - tuna mayo sandwich
lunch - eggs and beans/fish and mash
dinner - chicken and veg
plus nuts, fruit, oats, milk, water throughout the day.

would that be good? I want to achieve better athletic fitness atm, not focusing on getting bigger anymore. I think I'll work towards that once I've improved my fitness with this routine. do you think I'll be achieving what I want this way?
How much did you weigh when you started? I can't see how you would have put on noticeable fat that quickly because you've not been doing it very long?!
AntiLearner
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
How much did you weigh when you started? I can't see how you would have put on noticeable fat that quickly because you've not been doing it very long?!
cheers for the advice Bebbs.

I know I've put on half a stone since, not sure how much that is in kgs. went from 8st5lbs to 9st. I think it might be because I'm not a hardgainer then? and I was eating a lot more than usual, and since I wasn't very active before I started maybe that's why I put on noticeable fat.
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's just I once read that doing the same routine of excercise daily starts to not make a difference after a while, as you're using the same muscles or something?!
By effort I mean come off drenched in sweat and looking gross.

You body will adapt to the exercise but thats probably a bit of a red herring. Really you want your body to adapt (ie use more energy, increase muscle size, lose fat) so it's not necessarily a bad thing. To make sure however that you don't lapse, increase your speed/watt output or distance every week so that it gets tougher on your body. That way you hopefully wont plateau.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

progressive overload.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads