The Student Room Group

Teachers refusing to let me know my predicted grades!!

Hi everyone,

Im going through a bit of a predicament here. As you may know, predicted grades are an inportant part of the application process. Well, my teachers aren't telling me or others what our predicted grades are. So, we dont know what universities we can apply to were unsure about grade requirements etc. !!

Theyre claiming its a new policy that they just started for this year where theyre not giving any predicted grades out or our references. Saying that it 'doesnt bother us'. Thing is, all other colleges in this area (Midlands) are giving predicted grades out?? So its just us missing out!

Funny thing is, theyve still got these posters on the wall claiming "you must know your predicted grade!" and im sure its an ofsted requirement for all students to know what theyre aiming for

Any one out there with some advice in what i can do in this situation? Any help from universities or people who know the the standards would be greatly appreciated xx
Original post by Lxdia_
Hi everyone,

Im going through a bit of a predicament here. As you may know, predicted grades are an inportant part of the application process. Well, my teachers aren't telling me or others what our predicted grades are. So, we dont know what universities we can apply to were unsure about grade requirements etc. !!

Theyre claiming its a new policy that they just started for this year where theyre not giving any predicted grades out or our references. Saying that it 'doesnt bother us'. Thing is, all other colleges in this area (Midlands) are giving predicted grades out?? So its just us missing out!

Funny thing is, theyve still got these posters on the wall claiming "you must know your predicted grade!" and im sure its an ofsted requirement for all students to know what theyre aiming for

Any one out there with some advice in what i can do in this situation? Any help from universities or people who know the the standards would be greatly appreciated xx

This is a serious concern. Tell your parents to speak with the teachers. If they refuse to give it then the parents should come together and demand the school releases the information.

You do know that it’s literally impossible to apply to university without predicted grades? How will you pick your universities if teachers do not give their professional judgement on what you will get at the end of the A level course. If the school is not giving it then make your own predicted grades I guess.

Look at what you got in the mocks. You should more or less get the same grade maybe 1 grade up for one subject.

E.g.

BBB for mocks might make ABB for real ones
BBC for mocks might make BBB for real ones

And so on. Use this baseline to apply to universities you think you have the highest chance of getting in
Hey
Are you in year 13?

It's necessary to know your predicted grades because if you are (presumably) applying to university/higher education, the courses will have entry requirements and so you need to know whether your predictions meet those requirements. Otherwise it may be difficult to make sensible decisions on where you want to apply, and where you would stand a good chance of an interview or offer.

I would say, speak again to your teachers individually, if they refuse, get your parents to speak to them and explain that you need to know these so you can make well-informed decisions in your application.
They should be telling you so that you can apply to appropriate unis. I would understand if they predict them and submit them to the head of year or something before telling students, as there has been a lot of problems with teachers feeling under pressure to predict higher grades/students asking for them to be made higher - but by this point in the year they should be telling you due to medical/oxbridge applications needing to be in and people wanting to apply sooner rather than later! I would talk to your head of year/tutor and see what they can advise :yes:
Original post by Lxdia_
Hi everyone,

It's nothing t do with Ofsted but, yes, you do meed to know. Speak to the Head of Sixth form and if they refuse then get your parents involved,
Scream at them.. how dare they deny you a basic human right.

People at my school were entitled to select their own predicted grades. You need to apply the right amount of pressure and let your UCAS referee they're going to be in trouble if they don't set your grades at a high bar of AAA at an absolute minimum.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Celal2001
Look at what you got in the mocks. You should more or less get the same grade maybe 1 grade up for one subject.

E.g.

BBB for mocks might make ABB for real ones
BBC for mocks might make BBB for real ones

And so on. Use this baseline to apply to universities you think you have the highest chance of getting in

I don't think this is accurate. I think it's reasonable to assume you can do much better than you did in mocks, and the teachers at my school usually predict one above each grade. They actually predicted exactly right for me, I got AABB in mocks and got A*AAA in the real thing (which is what they predicted).

To OP you definitely should pester them for the grades. Don't stop asking until they give them to you, then if they're not what you want, ask them to change them.
Original post by Uori32qu
I don't think this is accurate. I think it's reasonable to assume you can do much better than you did in mocks, and the teachers at my school usually predict one above each grade. They actually predicted exactly right for me, I got AABB in mocks and got A*AAA in the real thing (which is what they predicted).

To OP you definitely should pester them for the grades. Don't stop asking until they give them to you, then if they're not what you want, ask them to change them.

They look at your GCSEs too aswell as your original predicted grades. I don’t know what’s wrong with my school, they predicted the same grades as I got for my mock as if I will not do any better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending