Pulchra-animo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi all,
I'm studying A-levels by correspondence so I don't have any teacher's advice- just the content.
Can anyone tell me anything about the actual A2 exams? How do I write an opinion article? How do I structure the essays? How to start with an argument with such broad questions? Does anyone have any ideas for the coursework?
Emily_5410
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Pulchra-animo)
Hi all,
I'm studying A-levels by correspondence so I don't have any teacher's advice- just the content.
Can anyone tell me anything about the actual A2 exams? How do I write an opinion article? How do I structure the essays? How to start with an argument with such broad questions? Does anyone have any ideas for the coursework?
What exam board are you on?
Pulchra-animo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
AQA! forgot to say, sorry 🙄
Emily_5410
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It’s ok! I did OCR but what topics are you doing? I can still try to help if I can
Pulchra-animo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Emily_5410)
It’s ok! I did OCR but what topics are you doing? I can still try to help if I can
Sorry, again, forgot to mention that and I'm late to reply! The course involves these topics:
1) Methods of language analysis
2) Spoken English
3) Language and power
4) Accent and dialect
5) Language and gender
6) Early child language acquisition
7) Reading & Writing
8) Language change and diversity
then two coursework pieces - original writing and then language investigation
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I do AQA, so I could tell you, but the specification online gives you a very nice idea of what you're up against.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 2 months ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Pulchra-animo)
Hi all,
Questions of the type you're asking really suggest that you would benefit from a private tutor to help guide and structure your learning. Is this a possibility for you?
Emily_5410
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! I didn’t do most of those topics but I did do child language acquisition so I can try to help! I’m not sure it’ll be the same but to structure an essay, I would first look at the ages of the children in the transcript without actually looking at the rest of the transcript and create hypothesis based on age alone. eg/ “The child is aged 4 years and 2 months and would therefore be placed firmly within the post telegraphic stage (stage 7) in which we would expect to find language that is increasingly similar adult speech with very few errors...” etc, or whatever you’ve learnt about stages.

That’s when I look at the transcript. I would normally find 3-4 pieces of evidence including virtuous errors and where IPA has been used to translate, the structure of sentences, the use of pronouns, links to theory and speech acts like under and overextension.

Once you’ve made that analysis, you can conclude with whether your hypothesis was correct. More often than not the child will fit to your hypothesised stage but if not mention why and what stage you would actually place them in.

A nice trick I learnt was that you can say all of that and then say “but it is impossible to guarantee accuracy in the assumed stage from a single transcript of this particular child’s language usage.” and that way, you’re assuring the examiner that you know what you’re talking about and can still extra gain marks even if it isn’t the stage that they have in their mark scheme!

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (53)
23.98%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.57%