Stop the carrying of knives in Britain Watch

HannahLouise02
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
There is an e-petition going to ban the carrying of knives and impose a 5 year prison sentence on anyone found with a knife.

The petition deadline is today. Please sign it.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ban-knives/

This is all in reaction to the 17th teenager being killed in the capital this year. It has to stop.

Thanks.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
couldnt agree more so i'll try not to.
why would anyone carry a knife unless they were going to stab someone?
or to look hard.
Ang|ophi|e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Since I live in the States I can't sign the petition, but I agree with you completely. Over here they just passed a law where its okay to have a gun in your car. I think it's stupid.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ang|ophi|e)
Since I live in the States I can't sign the petition, but I agree with you completely. Over here they just passed a law where its okay to have a gun in your car. I think it's stupid.
i bet if anyone got shot it was their fault for getting in the way of the bullet.
Ducki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmmm, I'm not going to sign it, as banning knives sets a precedent (not that this Govt needs one) and paves the way for banning lots of other things.

Also, more rigorour enforcement of existing laws and education and outreach working is the way to go, not criminalising yet more people, which seems to be the trend under this Govt. I mean, banning firearms in DC in the USA didn't exactly stop people using them, did it?
Ang|ophi|e
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
i bet if anyone got shot it was their fault for getting in the way of the bullet.
I think its very sad that in today's world we have to resort to carrying weapons in order to protect ourselves. I know a law where if an intruder is in your house and he isn't facing you, you can get in trouble for shooting him. Pathetic.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
These petitions are merely a way of people who have lost family members feeling they are doing something to change things, they aren't. The simple fact of the matter is a bunch of women wearing 'stop knives' t-shirts and making the 99% of citizens who don't carry knives go on a march doesn't help things. The idea that this petition will do anything is nonsical, how about you petition the government to make sure that those who carry knives actually see the inside of a prison at all because at the moment you can easily get a suspended sentence or even a caution if you're under 18...

I think the best thing we can do is follow Merseysides lead, those who have been caught carrying knives/drugs are targetted constantly and get searched so often there is no room for them to carry anything. I don't think that they're searching them for drugs, but where there are drugs there are usually weapons thanks to the illegality of them; if drugs were legalised there would be very few gang killings because there would be no money to fight over. Secondly they need to impose an extremely long sentence on those who get caught re-activating guns because they are as responsible for murder as those who buy and use them, if you stop the re-activators you stop the flow of weapons.
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't see how this petition will help? What about banning bricks as well, because one of the teenagers got killed by a brick. The banning of knives wont change anything. Guns are completely illegal in the country yet people still use them. Banning wont change anything, the people themselves are the root cause of the problem.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ang|ophi|e)
I think its very sad that in today's world we have to resort to carrying weapons in order to protect ourselves. I know a law where if an intruder is in your house and he isn't facing you, you can get in trouble for shooting him. Pathetic.
how would they know if he was facing you or not? but i do agree its rediculous.
Adampolar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
couldnt agree more so i'll try not to.
why would anyone carry a knife unless they were going to stab someone?
or to look hard.
So you want some one to get a 5 year prison sentance for trying to look hard?

I won't sign this, it will open up the doorway to banning a lot of things, and I am trying to hold on to my freedoms.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Phil.Murray)
Pretty much the same as the law governing self-defence in England and Wales. To be honest, I see no problem with such a rule. A person who's in your house but facing away from you poses minimal immediate threat to your personal safety: killing them or seriously injuring them would be wholly disproportionate to the threat they pose.
so you have to wait till they turn round any show their massive sawn off shotgun then you can shoot them if they dont shoot you first.
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
Entry/exit wounds show what side they were shot from.
lincs_b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What about people who carry knives for their job. I knew a lad who went to the pub after work and got so drunk that when he crashed his bike on the way home he just lay on the grass and went to sleep. The police came and searched him and in his bag was a Stanley knife that he used at work, he was arrested. I know he was really stupid but there was no intention to harm anyone.
Ducki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pretty much the same as the law governing self-defence in England and Wales. To be honest, I see no problem with such a rule. A person who's in your house but facing away from you poses minimal immediate threat to your personal safety: killing them or seriously injuring them would be wholly disproportionate to the threat they pose.
Typical lawyer speak, trying to define 'reasonable' and 'excessive' force in a nice comfy courtroom, miles away from the location of the incident and with no experience of reacting or how to react during such circumstances.
Adampolar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
Bullet wounds might provide a hint.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adampolar)
So you want some one to get a 5 year prison sentance for trying to look hard?

I won't sign this, it will open up the doorway to banning a lot of things, and I am trying to hold on to my freedoms.
there not going to do anything, the petition is just a way of showing our concern for knife crime in the uk and try and pressure them to do something.
manderlay in flames
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ducki)
Hmmm, I'm not going to sign it, as banning knives sets a precedent (not that this Govt needs one) and paves the way for banning lots of other things.

Also, more rigorour enforcement of existing laws and education and outreach working is the way to go, not criminalising yet more people, which seems to be the trend under this Govt. I mean, banning firearms in DC in the USA didn't exactly stop people using them, did it?
It was still legal everywhere else tho...

The precedent stuff is just crap tbh.
Adampolar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How is this any different to banning guns (for the most part), or drugs?
It isn't too different really, and look at the **** storm banning those two things has got us in.
εїз pinga εїз
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It won't work though. The kind of people using their knives to kill people are not the kind to worry about being caught carrying one.
rosemkate
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
iam not going to sign it cos it won't actually deter people from carrying knives
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.14%
No - but I will (41)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (281)
46.6%

Watched Threads