The Student Room Group

Sedation

That’s the whole point, I don’t want to be asleep I want to be awake. I’ve been scared of anaesthetics all my life and sedation doesn’t sound much different to anaesthetic, if they can’t do it while I’m awake I’m not having it done
My darling, I think you’d much rather be knocked out cold with anaesthetics than endure the immense pain from a major (or minor) surgery.
What exactly about anaesthetics or sedation do you not like? Do you have an underlying fear of never waking up? Or a doctor or nurse making a mistake with your anaesthetics? x
Original post by itscourtchicks
My darling, I think you’d much rather be knocked out cold with anaesthetics than endure the immense pain from a major (or minor) surgery.
What exactly about anaesthetics or sedation do you not like? Do you have an underlying fear of never waking up? Or a doctor or nurse making a mistake with your anaesthetics? x

I don’t know where my anaesthetic phobia comes from. I just want to be fully awake and alert,that’s why I want to know how sedatives make you feel.
Original post by Hayleykristen45
I don’t know where my anaesthetic phobia comes from. I just want to be fully awake and alert,that’s why I want to know how sedatives make you feel.

Our minds are just so complex that it’s really quite hard to pinpoint the origin why we do anything (or in this case why exactly we are afraid of something in this case). Your fear is actually quite a rational one in a way, as there are credible/valid things to be afraid of.
I don’t have any experience with anaesthetics or conscious sedation - but they are something I’d be quite anxious about too, especially the sedation.
That’s the whole point, I don’t want to be asleep I want to be awake. I’ve been scared of anaesthetics all my life and sedation doesn’t sound much different to anaesthetic, if they can’t do it while I’m awake I’m not having it done

I’m having a peg ( feeding tube) removed my endoscopy. If they could just yank it out I would be more than happy, I want to know exactly what they are doing and be 100% alert, if I have to be asleep it’s being cancelled
i was sedated for a sigmoidoscopy not long ago actually! Personally, if i was asked to do the same procedure again, I would ask for anaesthetic. I’m sure it differs slightly by person but for me personally, the sedative just made me feel extremely dizzy, sort of drunk and extremely confused which in turn made me panic harder than i was already panicking. I was aware and I could talk and I could hear, but it was more like being on the very unpleasant side of drunk and didn’t really do much to dull the discomfort and such of the procedure. i hope this helps! :-) I’ve also been anaesthetised in the past so if you want to ask any questions about that too I’m happy to answer!
Original post by sapphoish
i was sedated for a sigmoidoscopy not long ago actually! Personally, if i was asked to do the same procedure again, I would ask for anaesthetic. I’m sure it differs slightly by person but for me personally, the sedative just made me feel extremely dizzy, sort of drunk and extremely confused which in turn made me panic harder than i was already panicking. I was aware and I could talk and I could hear, but it was more like being on the very unpleasant side of drunk and didn’t really do much to dull the discomfort and such of the procedure. i hope this helps! :-) I’ve also been anaesthetised in the past so if you want to ask any questions about that too I’m happy to answer!

I’m supposed to have an endoscopy done by sedation, but I don’t like the sound of it either. I heard it can affect your breathing, and even though your awake your totally out of it. I don’t like the sound of sedation so I think I might cancel the procedure.
i might be wrong so don’t quote me on this- but I think it is actually possible to have an endoscopy without any anaesthetic or sedative. For my procedure sedation was totally optional so it might be the same for yours. If you really think you can’t face the sedation or anaesthetic you deserve to have that boundary respected and i’m sure you can ask about options without before immediately cancelling what could be an important procedure- good luck with it and everything :-)!

I’m supposed to have an endoscopy done by sedation, but I don’t like the sound of it either. I heard it can affect your breathing, and even though your awake your totally out of it. I don’t like the sound of sedation so I think I might cancel the procedure.
I’m having a peg ( feeding tube) removed my endoscopy. If they could just yank it out I would be more than happy, I want to know exactly what they are doing and be 100% alert, if I have to be asleep it’s being cancelled

You can ask to be awake, they would give you a local anaesthetic spray (lidocaine) in the mouth to make the endoscopy tube go down easier. However, you’re still going to have some discomfort.

Talk to your doctors about this worry and see what they can do to help. I’m having surgery on Wednesday and It will be a full GA, it can be daunting at first but the anaesthetists are there to support you. I’ve had other surgeries done under a local, so you’re welcome to message me if you need a chat :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hazzabear
You can ask to be awake, they would give you a local anaesthetic spray (lidocaine) in the mouth to make the endoscopy tube go down easier. However, you’re still going to have some discomfort.

Talk to your doctors about this worry and see what they can do to help. I’m having surgery on Wednesday and It will be a full GA, it can be daunting at first but the anaesthetists are there to support you. I’ve had other surgeries done under a local, so you’re welcome to message me if you need a chat :smile:

I’ve told my nurse if I can’t be awake she can cancel it
I’ve told my nurse if I can’t be awake she can cancel it

Good luck with your surgery, your braver than me
Original post by sapphoish
i might be wrong so don’t quote me on this- but I think it is actually possible to have an endoscopy without any anaesthetic or sedative. For my procedure sedation was totally optional so it might be the same for yours. If you really think you can’t face the sedation or anaesthetic you deserve to have that boundary respected and i’m sure you can ask about options without before immediately cancelling what could be an important procedure- good luck with it and everything :-)!

It’s a feeding tube that’s being removed, it can stay in for life but it can cause infections. I really want it out but the thought is really freaking me out
Original post by itscourtchicks
Our minds are just so complex that it’s really quite hard to pinpoint the origin why we do anything (or in this case why exactly we are afraid of something in this case). Your fear is actually quite a rational one in a way, as there are credible/valid things to be afraid of.
I don’t have any experience with anaesthetics or conscious sedation - but they are something I’d be quite anxious about too, especially the sedation.

I’m thinking of cancelling my procedure, if I’m panicking now I will be 10 times worse if I decide to have it done.

Quick Reply

Latest