The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Postgraduate 2020 Applicants

Hello!

Starting a thread here for all University of Edinburgh Postgraduate applicants.

I applied for a MSc in International Political Theory nearly three weeks ago, and have yet to hear from them.

I’m an American, and I’ve also applied to Durham, St Andrews and Bristol. Offer from Durham, and no news from the other schools.

Has anyone heard from Edinburgh?

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I have applied to the Sociology and Global Change Msc at Edinburgh literally Saturday so I am guessing I will hear back in 3 weeks. Nervous! I have also applied to LSE, Glasgow, and Bristol thus far and will apply to UCL and SOAS too when their applications open.
Reply 2
Original post by yoli1998
Hi! I have applied to the Sociology and Global Change Msc at Edinburgh literally Saturday so I am guessing I will hear back in 3 weeks. Nervous! I have also applied to LSE, Glasgow, and Bristol thus far and will apply to UCL and SOAS too when their applications open.

Nice! I’ve heard three-four week response from Edinburgh isn’t that uncommon, so I’m really hoping I hear something this week. Edinburgh is my top choice, as it has the best program for my interests and the city is amazing.
Reply 3
Hey! I'm planning to apply for an MTh by research in World Christianity. I'm an American and I'm about to graduate in December with my MDiv. I'm pretty busy right now with finishing this degree so that's why I can't get the application done until December. As y'all have already said, I've heard it only takes 3-4 weeks to hear back from Edinburgh.

One thing that has really helped me prepare is talking with my potential supervisors. I met them at two conferences this past year and I've also spoken over FaceTime with one of them regarding my research proposal and other tasks. Edinburgh is my top choice but I've also submitted an application to Cambridge because they have more funding opportunities. Wish everyone all the best in their applications!
Reply 4
Original post by rllb610
Hey! I'm planning to apply for an MTh by research in World Christianity. I'm an American and I'm about to graduate in December with my MDiv. I'm pretty busy right now with finishing this degree so that's why I can't get the application done until December. As y'all have already said, I've heard it only takes 3-4 weeks to hear back from Edinburgh.

One thing that has really helped me prepare is talking with my potential supervisors. I met them at two conferences this past year and I've also spoken over FaceTime with one of them regarding my research proposal and other tasks. Edinburgh is my top choice but I've also submitted an application to Cambridge because they have more funding opportunities. Wish everyone all the best in their applications!

Sweet! Best of luck!

I reached out to the programme director and a prof who has a similar research interests to me for introductions. I applied to a taught programme, but it seems like best practice to throw your name out to a couple of the faculty members.
Reply 5
I just received an offer for my program! Just over three weeks to hear a response.

Has anyone else heard back?
Hi everyone! Congratulations to those who already hold an offer, it must be quite a great feeling!
I’m considering applying for a research masters at Edinburgh. The more I think of the University and the city the more amazing I find the prospect.
But, according to some posts I’ve seen elsewhere on this site, offers from Edinburgh come with a deadline for acceptance/deposit. Is that always the case? I fear that the deadline given upon (hopefully) admission could be too early before I hear from the London universities, therefore finding myself in a complicated position regarding either accepting before knowing the outcome of my other applications or losing the deposit. Any advice? Maybe one should apply late to Edinburgh in order to give other universities time to issue their decisions?
Reply 7
Original post by Figaro42
Hi everyone! Congratulations to those who already hold an offer, it must be quite a great feeling!
I’m considering applying for a research masters at Edinburgh. The more I think of the University and the city the more amazing I find the prospect.
But, according to some posts I’ve seen elsewhere on this site, offers from Edinburgh come with a deadline for acceptance/deposit. Is that always the case? I fear that the deadline given upon (hopefully) admission could be too early before I hear from the London universities, therefore finding myself in a complicated position regarding either accepting before knowing the outcome of my other applications or losing the deposit. Any advice? Maybe one should apply late to Edinburgh in order to give other universities time to issue their decisions?

I’m an overseas applicant and offer holder, and they did not require a deposit from me. They wanted me to respond by November 22 (same date as an offer from Durham I received) and I just firmed my offer the other day.

Good luck!
Reply 8
Yes I applied for a course around 2nd October. I received a conditional offer on the 10th (must achieve at least a 2.i. in my undergrad)! Seems reasonable and expected. I also applied to other courses at different departments but have yet to hear back.
Original post by Costigan95
I’m an overseas applicant and offer holder, and they did not require a deposit from me. They wanted me to respond by November 22 (same date as an offer from Durham I received) and I just firmed my offer the other day.

Good luck!

Thank you! Looks like I will have to time my application so the confirmation deadline won’t conflict with the London decision schedule. Probably by late November. Very excited anyway! Good luck to everyone!
I've just applied for the PhD in French.
I already hold an unconditional offer from my alma mater, UCL, for a similar PhD, and am applying to UChicago for a PhD in French as well.
Hopefully I get funding for at least of one these universities.
Nice! I’ve heard three-four week response from Edinburgh isn’t that uncommon, so I’m really hoping I hear something this week. Edinburgh is my top choice, as it has the best program for my interests and the city is amazing.

did you hear back?
Hi if I applied on the 19th of October is it likely ill hear back by the end of the week?
Reply 13
did you hear back?

I did! Accepted an offer about a week ago.
Reply 14
Hi if I applied on the 19th of October is it likely ill hear back by the end of the week?

I received a conditional offer (mix up with my degree certificate scan) exactly three weeks after I applied. I wouldn’t get to anxious until the three week mark. Depends on the programme too.
What Course did you apply for?

I received a conditional offer (mix up with my degree certificate scan) exactly three weeks after I applied. I wouldn’t get to anxious until the three week mark. Depends on the programme too.
Reply 16
What Course did you apply for?

International Political Theory MSc
Hello, wanted to chime in and meet others who are looking to study at Edinburgh next fall!

I have an offer to study MSc in Contemporary History (applied mid October and heard back last week).

I'm from the US, and I also wanted to see if anyone has any sense of what chances of getting funding for taught programs at Edinburgh look like?
Hi question for anyone who has an offer so far: did your application change application status before you got the offer (as in the status went from 'Application received' to 'Being processed' to 'All details received' to 'Ready for a decision' to 'Decision'?) My has been on 'applications received' since I submitted and its been almost 3 weeks. And under documents, my transcripts has been 'Uploaded, pending verification' since I submitted as well.
Reply 19
Hi question for anyone who has an offer so far: did your application change application status before you got the offer (as in the status went from 'Application received' to 'Being processed' to 'All details received' to 'Ready for a decision' to 'Decision'?) My has been on 'applications received' since I submitted and its been almost 3 weeks. And under documents, my transcripts has been 'Uploaded, pending verification' since I submitted as well.

Mine went from received to being issued an offer. The portal emails you whenever something changes

Quick Reply

Latest