The Student Room Group

Hernia or Rectus Abdominal Muscle Strain?

Hi guys,
Over the weekend, I did some push-ups (honestly, not much, just like 5 lmao, but I'm quite weak & I really forced myself to try for em) & ever since then, everytime I lie down or stand up from lying down, my lower abdomen hurts a lot.
I didn't think much of it until today - and I've now decided to stop doing pushups or straining the muscle until the pain goes away.
However, I also overthink a lot and self-diagnose myself a lot through Google; I am worrying that it could be a hernia, not just a muscle strain. I am bloated, which is why I am worrying that it could be a possible hernia.
Could anyone help me, like give me peace of mind of what you think it is?
I am a 16 year old female - if the pain persists I will see my GP, but my parents are currently overseas (only back Thursday evening, so I will give it until then).
Reply 1
Bloating isnt a sign of hernia. I would think hernia if i saw a pouch which would dissapear upon lying down. If you poked the pouch you would feel internal organs etc.
Probably just muscle strain so relax for a while and take it easy. Gentle stretches before excercise in the future might prevent this.
Do you have any lumps poking through your stomach muscles that make you think you have a hernia? Because pain after exercising just sounds like muscle strain...

Quick Reply

Latest