Jungleseu1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi.

I've been having doubts about my degree. I chose geography but after doing one assigment have decided it isn't for me (I just hate maths and it takes days for me to work it out even with help).

I raised it with my form tutor on Friday 18th October and saw the reception of both the history and politics departments (I'd like to transfer to one of those). Both said the deadline for transfers had passed (7th October).

What should I do?
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jungleseu1)
Hi.

I've been having doubts about my degree. I chose geography but after doing one assigment have decided it isn't for me (I just hate maths and it takes days for me to work it out even with help).

I raised it with my form tutor on Friday 18th October and saw the reception of both the history and politics departments (I'd like to transfer to one of those). Both said the deadline for transfers had passed (7th October).

What should I do?
Well you've got two choices:
a) Drop out. You could take a gap year and apply again for unis before the January 15th equal consideration deadline to go next September for your new choice of subject.
b) Continue on for the next 3 years and then take a different route post degree to get into an area you're more interested in. You have to consider if you think you have the motivation to do this for 3 years though!
Talk to student support and see what they recommend, they'll be able to talk through all your options and potential consequences of each path
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi.

What should I do?
On top of the above is option c)

Finish the year while applying to restart in a different degree next year.

If you think you can pass the year, like the social side of university and don’t have a better way to spend your time it’s better than dropping out. You will get a CertHE (equivalent to an HNC) to show for your year studying (it’s pass/fail so you only need to get a passing mark) and you might find that the course is a lot less maths-y than the first assignment made you think so you keep your option open to carry on into 2nd year if you decide the grass isn’t greener.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There is also option d), which is finish the year in your current course then arrange to transfer into year 1 (most likely) of a different course at Southampton internally. They may stipulate some minimum progression mark to switch into that first year (e.g. getting at least a pass in the year, or possibly more; although I doubt they'd expect more for politics at least at Southampton, not as familiar with the history dept there) however.

Do be sure of what you're potentially going into though - politics has a reasonable amount of quantitative work involved (probably a similar level to geography), so if you are completely opposed to having any maths in your degree, you may want to steer clear of that subject too. Most social sciences will expect you to have at least some facility in statistics by the end of the course, and thus will include relevant modules to develop that.
Jungleseu1
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
On top of the above is option c)

Finish the year while applying to restart in a different degree next year.

If you think you can pass the year, like the social side of university and don’t have a better way to spend your time it’s better than dropping out. You will get a CertHE (equivalent to an HNC) to show for your year studying (it’s pass/fail so you only need to get a passing mark) and you might find that the course is a lot less maths-y than the first assignment made you think so you keep your option open to carry on into 2nd year if you decide the grass isn’t greener.
Can't really do that. My parents are funding my degree and have a limited amount of money to fund it.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can't really do that. My parents are funding my degree and have a limited amount of money to fund it.
(Sorry I assumed from the choice of Geography that you were a UK student with access to loans)
Looking at your older posts you've already changed degree once and university once https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...050&highlight=

Are you sure you want to get a degree? It might be better to leave and do something else for a while, work and earn some money and work out what it is that you want to do long term. History at Manchester > Geography at Manchester > Geography at Southampton > History or Politics at Southampton doesn't really look like you're making good decisions at the moment.
Jungleseu1
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
(Sorry I assumed from the choice of Geography that you were a UK student with access to loans)
Looking at your older posts you've already changed degree once and university once https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...050&highlight=

Are you sure you want to get a degree? It might be better to leave and do something else for a while, work and earn some money and work out what it is that you want to do long term. History at Manchester > Geography at Manchester > Geography at Southampton > History or Politics at Southampton doesn't really look like you're making good decisions at the moment.
So a few things. I also left Manchester for other reasons aswell. It was the burdersome beauocracy mainly. My parents came up for a period of time aswell and they expereicned the same - being moved from department to department even when we had spoken to the "correct people." It wasnt just me. Also if you look at the what uni page there are criticisms of the student support e.g don't know who to speak to etc. Also my friends (I eventually met) experienced the same. It just meant that even the most basic things e.g choosing a minor often got lost in admin. For example applied for my minor in September (in disaster managment). However said they coudnlt find my online form. Then had to go to IT. Them denying it. Eventually they find my form....at the end of October after about a month of chasing them up and wasting 4 afternoons being passed on from department to department. Just one example. I'm not a particularly fussy person either. I am lenient. This was the experience I had when dealing with mice in accomodation, a broken light in my room (took 2 weeks for a 5 minute job to be done)etc. With mice my flat mates had to bring mouse droppings to reception for them to believe us. I could rant on but I've said enough there. These were only a few of the issues.

I was also depressed at the time (from about December) but things seem to be improving (with treatment etc). I would say I'm happy at Southampton as well ...which is something I could definatly not say even in the first few weeks at Manchester.

Part of my decision to do geography is wanting to be more employable. I enjoy the subject (mostly) however you probably won't catch me talking about it casually (like history)). I think that clarifies everything. I also would like a degree ( I enjoy learning and studying). Again I would agree I havnt exactly made life easy for myself . I would take a degree at Southampton over Manchester any day. Things work and people are staighforward (instead of getting contradictory information). The only issue I found was getting my student card and that was sorted in 3 days.

I've also got a bit of money saved up (odd jobs,pub work,printer work) and have a finacial plan for the next 3 years. I suppose that last sentence was to say I'm not a person who is unwilling to get a job etc and lives off their parents' money. I understand what a privalidged postion I am in (to have a degree funded by my parents is very lucky). I realize I could have also come across in the complelty wrong way as well. What I'm trying to say is I'm not a complete mess. A lot of the decisions made were intetwined with a really awful expereience. Also apolgies if this came across as agressive..I can be a bit blunt sometimes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (142)
18.83%
Labour (322)
42.71%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.29%
Green Party (41)
5.44%
Brexit Party (21)
2.79%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.27%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.8%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)