Weighting of Degree Watch

Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
How do you find out how much each year of your degree is worth?I've been looking all over the wesbite, but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm looking for UCL and Modern Languages (French and Italian), if anyone can tellme how to find it?
thyssen1207
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haven't you got a handbook?

Also, try calling your department or speaking to your tutor.

My course (Economics, Birmingham) is 0:25:75
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The first year will all but definitely count for nothing; the second and third years will be in a ratio such as 25:75 or 40:60 or similar.

It's best asking the faculty, to be certain, though.
-Em-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
The first year will all but definitely count for nothing.
Don't bank on it. A number of people I've spoken to have been in for a nasty shock on that front. In my case it's not so bad, since my course is weighted 1:3:5:7 (Computer Science MEng) - 6.25% in the first year - but for those on the BSc, it's 1:3:5, which comes out at about 11% and my friends doing Psychology have already done 18% of their degree (this is all at York).

And, as far as I know, wherever you go, you'll need to get a passing grade in the first year to stay on the course.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -Em-)
Don't bank on it. A number of people I've spoken to have been in for a nasty shock on that front. In my case it's not so bad, since my course is weighted 1:3:5:7 (Computer Science MEng) - 6.25% in the first year - but for those on the BSc, it's 1:3:5, which comes out at about 11% and my friends doing Psychology have already done 18% of their degree (this is all at York).

And, as far as I know, wherever you go, you'll need to get a passing grade in the first year to stay on the course.
Ah, that's interesting. But I think that on the whole the first year doesn't count toward your classification. Maybe York is just cruel!
Joanna May
Rep:
?
I'm not starting until 2009, so I dont really want to bother them while they're all busy with this year's acommodation and questions from people starting in September. I just wondered if anyone could help me navigate the website, since it doesnt seem to say anywhere...
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm pretty sure the first year does count towards your classification at UCL, although I don't remember to what degree. I have a handbook for Scandinavian Studies that I will have a look in and get back to you. I'd imagine that Modern Languages do a similar thing as they're in the same faculty.

EDIT: Aha, EierVonSatan had a better idea!
bkcr20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The first year at UCL definitely counts for something!!
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The weighting is 1:3:5:5 for Scan Studies.
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Thanks, guys. I already read through the Italian handbook though, and it didn't say. It just gave a list of the credits you had to make each year, which was the same for all three
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Thanks you mumintroll, that's brilliant
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (255)
38.93%
No - but I will (45)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.18%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.02%

Watched Threads