Want to make new friends, I have none Watch

want2findout
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all.

I’ve been living in my new student Accommodation since the beginning of October and have only seen my flatmates once. I’m quite lonely because I have no one else around nor to talk to. I don’t have much friends in university either. I’m in second year and I could do with meeting new people. I joined a few societies from my university but didn’t gain much from it and those I talked to there didn’t put as much effort in getting to know me, like I did with them. I’m feeling a bit down about it because I’m just feeling so alone all the time. Any advice would be appreciated or those in similar situations I’d love to hear your experience as well
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by want2findout)
Hi all.

I’ve been living in my new student Accommodation since the beginning of October and have only seen my flatmates once. I’m quite lonely because I have no one else around nor to talk to. I don’t have much friends in university either. I’m in second year and I could do with meeting new people. I joined a few societies from my university but didn’t gain much from it and those I talked to there didn’t put as much effort in getting to know me, like I did with them. I’m feeling a bit down about it because I’m just feeling so alone all the time. Any advice would be appreciated or those in similar situations I’d love to hear your experience as well
I would persevere with societies. Don't expect effort to be 100% reciprocated, as people may already have other friends, but if you keep trying, you're likely to find people you click with! Expect to have to make all of the first moves, though and maybe be a bit pushy! Plus, being in a society gives you social stuff to do, and gives you a chance to go out, even if you don't feel super close to people.

Does your course run any social events? If not, could you suggest something?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi

I've been in a similiar situation before and I can relate. I just recently I started year 10 in a new school. I'm sure university is probably different and much more harder but maybe my strategy will work. Previously I had been going to a really small private school since I was in year 6. There was never more than twenty five people in a class and the school building was quite straight forward. Then we moved cities and my parents decided ot send me to a normal school. I wasnt used to being in a unfamiliar enviroment with new people. I already had lots of friends and I was used to being liked for who I am. I'm actually a very shy person and when I started the new school it felt really awkward. The school was huge and there were new people in every class which was a whole new experience for me. But I learned it really helps to talk to people. Just ask questions related to work or find any excuse to talk to them. Because they might only talk to you if you talk to them. And I guess another good way would be to find social activities. Maybe join something your interested in so you can find someone who shares your interests. Those are the tips I can give. I hope I've been helpful.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

I've been in a similiar situation before and I can relate. I just recently I started year 10 in a new school. I'm sure university is probably different and much more harder but maybe my strategy will work. Previously I had been going to a really small private school since I was in year 6. There was never more than twenty five people in a class and the school building was quite straight forward. Then we moved cities and my parents decided ot send me to a normal school. I wasnt used to being in a unfamiliar enviroment with new people. I already had lots of friends and I was used to being liked for who I am. I'm actually a very shy person and when I started the new school it felt really awkward. The school was huge and there were new people in every class which was a whole new experience for me. But I learned it really helps to talk to people. Just ask questions related to work or find any excuse to talk to them. Because they might only talk to you if you talk to them. And I guess another good way would be to find social activities. Maybe join something your interested in so you can find someone who shares your interests. Those are the tips I can give. I hope I've been helpful.
I think this is a really good strategy for school, and I hope it works out for you!

I think it can be harder at uni, as the OP will see the same/similar people in most lectures/seminars- but it's still worth talking to people when you get the chance.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey!

I know it sounds rubbish, but it takes a fair bit to make some good friends. You have to constantly make the effort and, eventually, they'll start making it back.

Just try to persevere as annoying and difficult as it is. My entire first year class didn't speak to anyone and once we made the effort, we started becoming fast friends and get along swell in our final year.

A little fake it until you make it will go a long way if you lack confidence.
Joshua
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (117)
63.59%
No (67)
36.41%

Watched Threads