The Student Room Group

Comparing Russian and English qualifications

Hey,
I have very uncommon situation... So I hope somebody can help me :smile:

I'm Russian, I graduated from school at the age of 16 and currently a student of University, I've just finished my first year.
Since Russian Certificate of Secondary Education is not sufficient on its own as preparation for studying in UK, I asked Cambridge Undergraduate Admissions Office (and yes, all I want is Cambridge :smile: ) and they said that my school years + 2 years in local University can be enough for applying to Cambridge partway without completing my first degree here and asked to provide my grades...
And finally the qestion is:
are my first year grades in this situation so important? Cause I guess I can be accepted if my qualification can be equal with qualifications of English applicants, and for them only A-Level grades are important (=grades that I will get at the end of my second year in Moscow), aren't they? I don't understand :frown:

Maybe someone can make it clear for me.
Reply 1
Well, they'll be important because presumably you'll be applying before you've finished your second year - so you'll be in the same situation as someone in England who is applying with their AS exams finished, but not their A2's. So you'll only have a predicted estimate of your final results from your second year, so your first year results will be the only confirmed results they'll be able to use to judge you.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your response.
So can person doing A-level apply if his\her grades in AS are not very good, but A2's will be excellent for sure?

And then I don't know which grades I should provide... I had 4 exams in the 1st semestr and 5 exams in the 2nd semestr (they are all various). Maybe I had better to provide grades of subjects which are relevant to the course I've chosen, or all? Or maybe only those which I got in the end of the year? I'm so confused.
Reply 3
You should provide them with all of them. And, to be fair, if someone doesn't have very good AS results, then they don't stand much of a chance. But that might not completely translate to university results, if you explain the situation to them - or get your referee to - they'll be able to take it all into account when making their minds up.
Reply 4
Thank you.

And will the Admissions Office check the data I will provide besides inspecting transcriptions of my record book? I worry about this because if they would need to call to check my information, nobody in my University will be able to confirm my grades, because nobody can speak English (except English teachers who don't know anything about my grades)

Latest