Experiences with ADs. Watch

lincs_b
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've read up on all the facts but I was hoping that someone might be able to give me an actual experience of what it is like to take anti-depressants.

How did you feel before taking them? How long did it take for the anti-depressants to help if they did? Are you still taking them now? How long or how many trips back to your doctor did it take to get the dosage right?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How did you feel before taking them?
Suicidal, like ****, self harm, isolated, rubbish, angry, anxious, no motivation/concentration, crying a lot, way too much sleep

How long did it take for the anti-depressants to help if they did?
I'm a bit of a special case, it took about 8 different tries before I found the correct AD. The others made me feel sick, felt empty/dead, gave me insomnia, made me eat more, made me suicidal, constipation, etc etc. Everyone is different, you might feel better on the first try, or it might take ages. Now I've found the right ones they cause a bit of trouble with sleep but overall I'm feeling quite a bit better. Still not great though.

Are you still taking them now?
Yes and probably will be for some time yet

How long or how many trips back to your doctor did it take to get the dosage right?
Over a year of taking different antidepressants, seeing a GP then referred to a psychiatrist.

Hope that's helpful. Remember everyone is different and one person's experiences are unlikely to match your own. If you've got any more questions or whatever you can pm me or ask here.
becki08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
suicidal, low, no concentration, no motivation, self-harming etc

First time they didn't work so came off them. Second time was given the same type as the first time - started working within a month, then stopped working so changed to another type which again started working within a month and still help.

Yes

How long or how many trips back to your doctor did it take to get the dosage right?
First given them in jan 06. Taken off of them after a suicide attempt in march 06. Put back on them in october 06 - 2 weeks later dosage was increased. Changed to a different type about May 07 and the dosage was right.

Everyone is different though. I hope you find them helpful
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Suicidal, like ****, self harm, isolated, rubbish, angry, anxious, no motivation/concentration, crying a lot, way too much sleep

I'm a bit of a special case, it took about 8 different tries before I found the correct AD. The others made me feel sick, felt empty/dead, gave me insomnia, made me eat more, made me suicidal, constipation, etc etc. Everyone is different, you might feel better on the first try, or it might take ages. Now I've found the right ones they cause a bit of trouble with sleep but overall I'm feeling quite a bit better. Still not great though.

Yes and probably will be for some time yet

Over a year of taking different antidepressants, seeing a GP then referred to a psychiatrist.

Hope that's helpful. Remember everyone is different and one person's experiences are unlikely to match your own. If you've got any more questions or whatever you can pm me or ask here.

This is pretty much identical to my story although luckily the second dosage of my third variety are still working well and I was put on them about 4 months after I was first prescribed ADs..

They have helped an immense amount.. they did solve anything, but they gave me the ability to start sorting my life out. I also cant see myself coming off them any time soon...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (82)
39.23%
No - but I will (9)
4.31%
No - I don't want to (13)
6.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
50.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise