The Student Room Group

uni choices for economics

I put down UCL, warwick, durham, bath and loughborough on ucas. After speaking to my head of year he advised me that I need another safe option (such as manchester or lancaster) aswell as loughborough. However as economics is very competetive I wanted the best possible chance of recieving an offer from a top Uni hence my original decision.

Can anyone advice me on what to do here, as I can't decide. Thanks
Reply 1
I completely understand wanting to apply solely to aspirational universities because the prospect of attending a less competitive course seems pointless to you. I applied a few weeks ago, and that thought was always at the back of my mind.

After much deliberation, I ended up only applying to Russel Group universities, and because my predicted grades were high, two universities that seemed aspirational are now rather achievable since many universities give lower offers to more competitive applicants to entice them towards their uni above all others.

My argument was that if I didn't receive any offers, then I'd take a gap year and reapply once I actually have my results. The likelihood now is that I won't have to do that.

By the way, for anybody reading, I'm not saying that attending a Russel Group University is essential, because it really isn't. It all comes down to how the course suits you as an individual, and your own personal choices.

Despite all of this, I would advise that you still apply to safe universities, because you really don't want to take the risk, especially with a difficult subject such as Economics. I understand wanting to maximise your chances of receiving an offer from a competitive uni, but overall it's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth the gamble. If you genuinely believe that your application is competitive enough to apply where you want, then go for it. But please, please approach with caution, because you don't want to end up in clearing, in UCAS Extra, or God forbid with no where to go.

Hope this helps.

:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Calliso
I completely understand wanting to apply solely to aspirational universities because the prospect of attending a less competitive course seems pointless to you. I applied a few weeks ago, and that thought was always at the back of my mind.

After much deliberation, I ended up only applying to Russel Group universities, and because my predicted grades were high, two universities that seemed aspirational are now rather achievable since many universities give lower offers to more competitive applicants to entice them towards their uni above all others.

My argument was that if I didn't receive any offers, then I'd take a gap year and reapply once I actually have my results. The likelihood now is that I won't have to do that.

By the way, for anybody reading, I'm not saying that attending a Russel Group University is essential, because it really isn't. It all comes down to how the course suits you as an individual, and your own personal choices.

Despite all of this, I would advise that you still apply to safe universities, because you really don't want to take the risk, especially with a difficult subject such as Economics. I understand wanting to maximise your chances of receiving an offer from a competitive uni, but overall it's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth the gamble. If you genuinely believe that your application is competitive enough to apply where you want, then go for it. But please, please approach with caution, because you don't want to end up in clearing, in UCAS Extra, or God forbid with no where to go.

Hope this helps.

:smile:

Thanks for the reply I appreciate your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest