[Debate]- Extinction Rebellion, did they go too far? Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
As many will be aware Extinction Rebellion's 2 week October protest ended last week.

Basic Outline of their demands here.

The Met Police arrested 1700 people according to the Guardian. The poloce also effectively banned protests from all areas except those which were pre-agreed (cannot find this RN).

XR were not deterred however and blockaded and protested at locations such as London City Airport, The Bank of England and the surrounding area, Oxford circus (and on he same day a man climbed Elizabeth Tower) and most infamously, Canning Town Tube station, where the protesters were met less than favourably.

Do we think by getting in the way of ordinary people XR is targeting the wrong people and losing their support. Short term people who cannot use the train to get to work will use a taxi for example, this does not help the environment. Or is the climate emergency so grave that people can afford their commute to be delayed? Does blocking the jubilee line actually help?

Another interesting article by Sky News's Ian King.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well it didn't end, despite being ordered to cease their protests they continued all through last week and have continued this week. Today they have been protesting outside the DfE demanding even more indoctrination of children than already happens.

They also went further than banning them apart from where agreed and banned them completely due to their failure to comply with the initial order.
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 3 weeks ago
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unfortunately Extinction Rebellion have gone way too far in their activism and have basically just turned the public against them, which does not help their cause.

I remember watching a video of the Canning Town tube station incident(s) and one frustrated commuter pointed out 'aren't we supposed to be taking public transport to help the environment?' which for me just summed up the whole situation.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Given that I am a Thatcherite, backed Esther McVey in the leadership contest and wrote the Bill to proscribe Extinction Rebellion as a terrorist group (which I think I was vindicated by recent events), this House can guess where I stand on this issue.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Given that I am a Thatcherite, backed Esther McVey in the leadership contest and wrote the Bill to proscribe Extinction Rebellion as a terrorist group (which I think I was vindicated by recent events), this House can guess where I stand on this issue.
Certainly.
I still contend that they're far more of a nuisance than a terrorist group.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Certainly.
I still contend that they're far more of a nuisance than a terrorist group.
Indeed, the bill failed not because of the loony left backing them, but the rational right recognising them to be far from terrorists, just pains in the arse that require a little bit of force to shift
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They’re not terrorists but their anarcho-communist ideas are fatally flawed and incredibly dangerous for our country if implemented, which is why we should thoroughly reject Corbyn’s proposal of a “Green New Deal.”
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They were blocking roads for hours. They kept cars on the road for longer and increased CO2 emissions. Afterwards, they went to a fast-food restaurant for their meaty lunch and finished the day by booking a holding to the other side of the world. They are hypocritical eco terrorists without answers to the world's problems
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Targeting tube and DLR trains, blocking parts of central London with almost no cars, makes no sense and has lost them support.
Bailey14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I totally agree with the principles behind the protests by Extinction Rebellion. The Climate Emergency is an important issue and we should tackle it. However, Extinction Rebellion has lost my support after the more-extreme measures they have taken in the past few months, including attempting to disrupt the public transport system, which is supposed to be a better way of commuting then by road.

I have a lot of medical appointments in Central London, as do many others, and by disrupting the Tube and DLR network, along with buses and roads... It actually could be damaging peoples access to healthcare. People have a range of appointments for very serious medical problems, they have important meetings, and they could be late to their workplaces which could potentially affect their income and Extinction Rebellion must bear that in mind.

There are different ways of campaigning and protesting, I believe that the methods that Extinction Rebellion are not the way forward.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Connor27)
They’re not terrorists but their anarcho-communist ideas are fatally flawed and incredibly dangerous for our country if implemented, which is why we should thoroughly reject Corbyn’s proposal of a “Green New Deal.”
Aye. Proscription wasn't the best way to go about that and I regret handling the issue in that way and thus giving the loonies in the house (names not given to protect the guilty) a stick to beat us C/conservatives, L/libertarians and anyone sceptical of St Greta of Thunbergia with.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Linking environmentalism to radical leftism is odd to me. Britain is already mostly in agreement on the issue of climate change, so why are they alienating people?
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
Linking environmentalism to radical leftism is odd to me. Britain is already mostly in agreement on the issue of climate change, so why are they alienating people?
These people are doing everything terrorists seek to do without the actual killing part. They are easy to alienate and deserve to be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (117)
63.59%
No (67)
36.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise