krinyapajti
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!
I've not seen many music applicants out here on TSR so thought this thread might bring us all together!

If you want you can introduce yourself, saying the following:
GCSEs:
Predicted/achieved A level grades (and what subjects you do other than music if you fancy):
AS grades (if you did them):
Your instrument:
Which college:
Any other universities you applied to:

Hopefully there are lots of you out there!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello rachsilb101 ,

It sounds like a good idea to submit an English essay alongside a music one. That's what I did when I applied in 2006, as my school's music syllabus didn't really involve essay writing :ninja:

Regarding the standard of the essay, they will definitely not expect it to be the standard of an Oxford undergraduate essay - don't worry. The leap from school to Oxford's music course is (for UK students at least) huge, so the first term or so at Oxford is a lot of mistake-making and bumbling around while you learn how to write an Oxford-standard essay. So they can't expect it of you, dw
rachsilb101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Hello rachsilb101 ,

It sounds like a good idea to submit an English essay alongside a music one. That's what I did when I applied in 2006, as my school's music syllabus didn't really involve essay writing :ninja:

Regarding the standard of the essay, they will definitely not expect it to be the standard of an Oxford undergraduate essay - don't worry. The leap from school to Oxford's music course is (for UK students at least) huge, so the first term or so at Oxford is a lot of mistake-making and bumbling around while you learn how to write an Oxford-standard essay. So they can't expect it of you, dw
Wow thanks so much for the advice!! Yeah that all makes sense to me - I thought the jump would be pretty big from school to Oxford considering music education at school varies quite a lot!
My syllabus also doesn’t really require essay writing so I’m just submitting an English essay as I’ve said along with a music one that I’ve done out of class - though I’m kinda still proofing it lol I know it’s close to the date work is due.
rachsilb101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by krinyapajti)
Hi!
I've not seen many music applicants out here on TSR so thought this thread might bring us all together!

If you want you can introduce yourself, saying the following:
GCSEs:
Predicted/achieved A level grades (and what subjects you do other than music if you fancy):
AS grades (if you did them):
Your instrument:
Which college:
Any other universities you applied to:

Hopefully there are lots of you out there!
Also - what others unis did you apply for??
krinyapajti
Rep:
?
(Original post by rachsilb101)
Also - what others unis did you apply for??
Only Oxford 😂 figured if I dont get in I'll just keep reapplying, I really love their music course! what about you?
rachsilb101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only Oxford 😂 figured if I dont get in I'll just keep reapplying, I really love their music course! what about you?
Hahah that was my original intention - I also loooveeee their music course, but I decided to apply to Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh and Kings as well!!
krinyapajti
Rep:
?
Hahah that was my original intention - I also loooveeee their music course, but I decided to apply to Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh and Kings as well!!
ooooh! have any of them gotten back to you yet?
rachsilb101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ooooh! have any of them gotten back to you yet?
Nooooooo kind of stressed about it I won’t lie
krinyapajti
Rep:
?
Nooooooo kind of stressed about it I won’t lie
Oh hahah I get you
Wait I just realised all the unis you applied to are in the UK seems like you want to experience the UK student life!
rachsilb101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh hahah I get you
Wait I just realised all the unis you applied to are in the UK seems like you want to experience the UK student life!
Hahaha yes i do! And as an update I received an offer from Durham yesterday! It is one of the best music schools in the UK so I’m really happy - of course Oxford is my first choice though.......
krinyapajti
Rep:
?
Hahaha yes i do! And as an update I received an offer from Durham yesterday! It is one of the best music schools in the UK so I’m really happy - of course Oxford is my first choice though.......
heeeeeey congratulations! it's one of the best music schools? oh interesting, I didn't know!
did you appply to any conservatoires?
rachsilb101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
heeeeeey congratulations! it's one of the best music schools? oh interesting, I didn't know!
did you appply to any conservatoires?
Yeah it was ranked number one this year for music!!! No I didn’t - as much as I do love performance, I’d like to focus on other areas like musicology for example, I’ll still take a performance module however
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congratulations! :king1:
krinyapajti
Rep:
?
Yeah it was ranked number one this year for music!!! No I didn’t - as much as I do love performance, I’d like to focus on other areas like musicology for example, I’ll still take a performance module however
Oh I see! I'm the exact same way
Pianist02
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I’m applying to music from Spain! I applied to: Oxford, Durham, Birmingham, Glasgow and City unis. I suppose being an international applicant takes more time to receive offers... anyway good luck to all music applicants!!
krinyapajti
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pianist02)
Hi, I’m applying to music from Spain! I applied to: Oxford, Durham, Birmingham, Glasgow and City unis. I suppose being an international applicant takes more time to receive offers... anyway good luck to all music applicants!!
Hola!
Wow Spain is great!
I actually don't think it takes longer to get your offer because they send them all out in January but tbh I might be wrong.
Which college did you apply to?
rachsilb101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Congratulations! :king1:
Thank you!!
rachsilb101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pianist02)
Hello!!! I’m also an international applicant - from Australia, what instrument do you play?
Pianist02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hola!
Wow Spain is great!
I actually don't think it takes longer to get your offer because they send them all out in January but tbh I might be wrong.
Which college did you apply to?
I'm applying to Somerville😊
Pianist02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello!!! I’m also an international applicant - from Australia, what instrument do you play?
I play the piano! What about you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (365)
44.46%
No (86)
10.48%
I'm not old enough (370)
45.07%

Watched Threads