The Student Room Group

Choosing my A-levels

I’m currently in year 11 and in the process of applying to a sixth form college. I’m taking chemistry and biology at A-level and thinking of doing maths (possibly further maths if my grades are high enough) also. I was wondering if this is going to be a lot of work and if I could achieve high grades with the workload and combination of subjects.
I’m currently predicted these grades at GCSE:
Chemistry- 9
Biology- 7/8
Maths- 7/8
Any science is a lot of work since it’s difficult. You could totally achieve high as long as you work hard and smartly.
They are definitely really hard subjects, because A Levels is a huge step from GCSEs. If you’re willing to stay motivated in doing all the work then go for it. good luck!
Your predicted grades are amazing! :smile:
What do you want to be?
Of course, is it possible, many have achieved it with the right mindset and revision.
But do you actually need further maths? Do you have a vague idea of what you want to do in university?
Reply 4
Original post by adviceisallineed
They are definitely really hard subjects, because A Levels is a huge step from GCSEs. If you’re willing to stay motivated in doing all the work then go for it. good luck!
Your predicted grades are amazing! :smile:
What do you want to be?

Thank you!! I want to go into medicine and I’m thinking about becoming a surgeon :smile:
Original post by georgiaaa21
Thank you!! I want to go into medicine and I’m thinking about becoming a surgeon :smile:

That’s really good, good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kurro
Of course, is it possible, many have achieved it with the right mindset and revision.
But do you actually need further maths? Do you have a vague idea of what you want to do in university?

I want to study medicine and I’m thinking that if I did end up doing further maths it would make my application stand out a bit more for uni as I’ve heard medicine is a competitive area
Reply 7
Does anyone have any experience in studying these three a-levels together?? Would be helpful for feedback thanks
Your subject combination sounds good for medicine, stick to single maths unless you get a 9 in the GCSE. You don't need it and having one less a-level will give you more time to prepare for entrance tests into medicine and gives you more time to spend getting relevant work experience or volunteering.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest