The Student Room Group

Implant Contraception

Hi guys, I have been on the Nexplanon implant for over 3 years now. I had my first one changed about 3 months ago so I am now on my 2nd one. However, during my whole time on the implant I have had regular, monthly periods however this month I have not got a period and I do feel sick in the mornings but I thought that was normal as I get it quite a lot but I was just wondering if there’s any chance I could be pregnant? When I got my second one put in they put it in a different place so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it? Sorry for blabbing on but any advice would be appreciated! Feel free to ask any questions if I haven’t covered it x
Reply 1
There's always a chance of contraception failing; even the implant (regardless of the fact it's 99.99999% effective. Maybe just take a pregnancy test at some point. Likelihood is that you wont be pregnant though, and maybe the stress of thinking you are is delaying you're period?
Reply 2
It can change from implant to implant. My first two implants I never had a single one whereas I've just had it replaced onto on my third and they've started up regularly. Also if you've only changed it recently that can cause everything to go pear shaped anyway for a couple months whilst the body settles back down into a "routine".
No harm in getting a test done but I'd recommend going to your GP and getting it rather than buying one which has higher risk of false positive result.
Reply 3
Yeah that’s very true! Okay will do, and yeah that is a high possibility, thank you so much!

Original post by grape:)
There's always a chance of contraception failing; even the implant (regardless of the fact it's 99.99999% effective. Maybe just take a pregnancy test at some point. Likelihood is that you wont be pregnant though, and maybe the stress of thinking you are is delaying you're period?
Reply 4
Okay yeah that’s very true I guess I have jumped to conclusions and worried because it’s never really happened before! You’ve put my mind at ease thank you very much.

Original post by Marfyy2
It can change from implant to implant. My first two implants I never had a single one whereas I've just had it replaced onto on my third and they've started up regularly. Also if you've only changed it recently that can cause everything to go pear shaped anyway for a couple months whilst the body settles back down into a "routine".
No harm in getting a test done but I'd recommend going to your GP and getting it rather than buying one which has higher risk of false positive result.
Original post by SophieG240
Hi guys, I have been on the Nexplanon implant for over 3 years now. I had my first one changed about 3 months ago so I am now on my 2nd one. However, during my whole time on the implant I have had regular, monthly periods however this month I have not got a period and I do feel sick in the mornings but I thought that was normal as I get it quite a lot but I was just wondering if there’s any chance I could be pregnant? When I got my second one put in they put it in a different place so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it? Sorry for blabbing on but any advice would be appreciated! Feel free to ask any questions if I haven’t covered it x

I think it’s best you took a pregnancy test
Reply 6
Okay will do thank you
Original post by SophieG240

I'm on my second one and the effects seem different when they're changed. They stopped my period altogether. If you're concerned about pregnancy (it's still possible and I think it happened to me), then take a pregnancy test, but I think it's probably just side effects.
Reply 8
Okay that’s a bit of a relief then thank you so much
Do remember that when the implant is new the level of hormone in your system is vastly higher. It's very easy to forget exactly what it was like 3 years ago and just remember things more recently.

Take a pregnancy test if it will put your mind at rest but this is the safest form of contraception, I think you will be fine.
Original post by Marfyy2

GPs use the exact same tests as the ones you can buy over the counter .
Reply 11
Okay thank you very much!!!

Quick Reply