Which Uni: Manchester vs Lancaster? Watch

bringme
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Dear all,

I’ve just luckily offered admissions from:
- MSc E-Business & Innovation, Lancaster University (unconditional)
- MSc Management, Technology & Innovation, Uni of Manchester (cond.)
- MSc Management and Information Systems, Nottingham Trent (cond.)

Since I don't really know these universities well, I need some help. Which one do you think I should go for -- in term of teaching quality, job opportunities, (international) reputation, prestige, location, and so on. I already secured a full sponsorship here, so money won’t be a problem.

After graduation, I want to get a job in strategic IT consulting field. (Foreign student can work at least for a year under HMSP scheme, right?) Then I’ll return to my home country to continue working in the corporate world or start my own consulting firm.

I’m also considering continuing to the PhD program, but I still not sure as it requires much more intellectual capacity and commitment than in master degree.

So, what do you think? I will be really thankful for any suggestions, arguments etc. Thanks a lot for your help.
bringme
No one knows these universities? Come on, I'm waiting for your help.
hermaphrodite
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bringme)
No one knows these universities? Come on, I'm waiting for your help.
Everyone knows Manchester . . . go to Manchester!!!
flexiblefish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
most people will know the universities and the towns, its just that no one knows about the merits of the course, adn over here on the Postgrad section we do not tend to say flipant remarks suchas "go to manchester/lancaster it has a higher reputation, it is higher in the times league tables.

How do you think any of us can have any meaningful imput into your descision making process if we do not know anything about the courses.

But if you want such a flipant remark....Lancaster its got less crime, nice compact campus, nice pseudo-college system, everything you need is at hand.

course any good? No idea.
bringme
Well, since I never went to the UK, its hard for me to make a decision.
Campus' websites and brochures might have biases.
Any comment, input, pros-cons, ANYTHING will be very much appreciated
flexiblefish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Manchester- big city university, surrunded by a city with all the facilities you could want for the UKs 2nd/3rd largest city (depending on criteria), it is where there is plenty of nightlife, pubs, gigs...but along with that you get the usual social segregation, crime, pollution.

Lancaser is a Campus university n the edge of a small city. The town has everything you need but without luxuries. There is less to do (i suppose) and if you live on campus you are pretty much isolated from the town, but the campus has 9 bars or so, tak-aways cafes, book shops, cinema, banks etc etc... so you do not have to really go that far anyway.

As for universities, much of a muchness, but that that does not matter, as it is the course content is what you should be looking at. They are both in the North of England about 40 miles apart so the climate will be the same.

Lancaster uni is smaller so on the whole from folk i know wo have attanded there, they get lots of support and personal contact time. e.g my GF did her Undergrad there and on her course there was less than 25, which is crazy for uni course sizes.

What do you want from a uni/town/course.... might be easier to fit your personal to the uni.

i.e. are you looking to go clubbing everynight, or happy to study. Do you like the hussle and bustle of a big city or would you rather have a quiet life?
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Who runs the Lancaster course?
cantthinkofaname
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Manchester is a really nice uni with a good campus and good rep, go there. (lancaster is also fairly good-esp for sport).
Lothar Warlock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For postgraduate Business, Lancaster is ranked higher in the world rankings (22nd to be precise). From this statement, the decision is yours.
bringme
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Who runs the Lancaster course?
Lancaster >> Lancaster University Management School
Manchester >> Manchester Business School
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bringme)
Lancaster >> Lancaster University Management School
Manchester >> Manchester Business School
Okay, well I suppose you know that the management school at Lancaster is one of the best in the world.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Okay, well I suppose you know that the management school at Lancaster is one of the best in the world.
Bit of a shame nobody else does/cares. Go to Manchester.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barny)
Bit of a shame nobody else does/cares. Go to Manchester.
Yes they do. It's a bit of shame that you assume that because you think it, it must be majority opinion. You think an international quality managment school is not going to have any links with business?
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ChemistBoy you have such a warped view of the world. You've been an academic your whole life, if you actually went to the real world you would realise that most people have heard of Oxford and Cambridge and a handful of other Uni's. Lancaster is almost never in that handful of others. If you went to a job interview most employers would recognise Manchester as an institution of good quality, most would never have heard of Lancaster. I don't mean the HR department of a graduate employer here, I mean the average employer on the street and also the people who work in these businesses but don't do the recruiting.
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barny)
most would never have heard of Lancaster
Did you pull that statistic out of your arse?
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barny)
I mean the average employer on the street and also the people who work in these businesses but don't do the recruiting.
Possibly, your average employer "on the street" can often be ignorant of higher education and will only recognise a number of universities.

However, the OP may not be looking at going into a job with an employers "on the street". I'm not sure the OP is looking at staying in the UK.

The point is that Lancaster does have the "prestige" both nationally and internationally as a management school (although the same can be said of Manchester's business school).

I don't think there's a massive difference myself. Course content and environment should be more of a concern. I believe that the environment of both has already been mentioned? Manchester is a large city, one of the largest in the country. It offers all of the facilities that one would expect.

Lancaster is small and quite historic. Both are reasonably close to each other and travelling from Lancaster to MAnchester for a day out is by no means impossible.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barny)
ChemistBoy you have such a warped view of the world. You've been an academic your whole life, if you actually went to the real world you would realise that most people have heard of Oxford and Cambridge and a handful of other Uni's. Lancaster is almost never in that handful of others.
No I haven't. Seems that making assumptions about things you know nothing about is your speciality. Of course I'm sure your years of business recruitment experience mean you are an expert, right? When did you get that experience, was that before or after finishing your first year at Nottingham?

If you went to a job interview most employers would recognise Manchester as an institution of good quality, most would never have heard of Lancaster. I don't mean the HR department of a graduate employer here, I mean the average employer on the street and also the people who work in these businesses but don't do the recruiting.
Well, considering that LUMS has coporate clients that include very large companies such as AstraZeneca, Airbus and BAE systems to mention a few then I think that some people in business will have heard of it. It's all there on the website for all to see, clearly there are some serious links in business and that does affect graduate employability.
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for negging me Barny. All I wanted to know was where you got your information from =.=
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barny)
ChemistBoy you have such a warped view of the world. You've been an academic your whole life, if you actually went to the real world you would realise that most people have heard of Oxford and Cambridge and a handful of other Uni's.
I read this out to my boyfriend, who has worked for KPMG amongst others, and he laughed merrily (then again he's a Warwick grad, so perhaps it takes a plate glass alum to know one...). 'Most people' do not tend to be dedicated graduate employers. Simply because my Nan hasn't heard of Lancaster doesn't mean that a person working for a large firm whose job it is to assess applications won't have done.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Manchester has a better rep, but at post-graduate level it hardly matters, so just go to the one you prefer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.59%
No - but I will (35)
6.57%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.75%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (251)
47.09%

Watched Threads