marveldinosaur
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So after never being allowed to bull with cotton wool at Halton, the instructors advised us to start doing it when we left as it's apparently easier and gives a better shine.

So I tried it, and have scratched my shoes awfully! Luckily realised and stopped after one toe cap of one shoe. I've been bulling with my selvyt cloth again over it but the scratches aren't coming out!

Any more experienced people got any tips on how to rectify it? Do I just keep going over it, or should I strip them and if so, how?? I'm so annoyed because they were so good before this😂
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by marveldinosaur)
So after never being allowed to bull with cotton wool at Halton, the instructors advised us to start doing it when we left as it's apparently easier and gives a better shine.
Why?!

So I tried it, and have scratched my shoes awfully! Luckily realised and stopped after one toe cap of one shoe. I've been bulling with my selvyt cloth again over it but the scratches aren't coming out!

Any more experienced people got any tips on how to rectify it? Do I just keep going over it, or should I strip them and if so, how?? I'm so annoyed because they were so good before this😂
What type of cotton wool are you using?
I use cotton wool balls, rip them in half, get them damp (not wet), polish on, then have at the shoe. Good layer all over. Progressively less polish and more water, small circles, light pressure. Keep going and the shine begins to come through. Eventually you're just using a wet cotton wool ball to finish off the bulling.

It's worked for me for longer than I care to remember.
marveldinosaur
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Why?!

What type of cotton wool are you using?
I use cotton wool balls, rip them in half, get them damp (not wet), polish on, then have at the shoe. Good layer all over. Progressively less polish and more water, small circles, light pressure. Keep going and the shine begins to come through. Eventually you're just using a wet cotton wool ball to finish off the bulling.

It's worked for me for longer than I care to remember.
They said they want recruits to stop using it as too many people fail the Day 63 Inspection for having little bits of cotton wool on their shoes😒

And okay thank you! I will give that a go, hopefully won't wreck them any more😭
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by marveldinosaur)
They said they want recruits to stop using it as too many people fail the Day 63 Inspection for having little bits of cotton wool on their shoes😒

And okay thank you! I will give that a go, hopefully won't wreck them any more😭
I never got on board with Selvyt clothes. Always left the grain of the material in the polish.
Y333EEE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How I do mine!

-Soak the Sylvet
-Wring as much water out of it as you possibly can
- Tiny dab of some fresh black polish
-Do an area about 1/4 the size of the toecap with it and repeat until you have desired shine

Worked for me throughout my career thus far, saves a lot of time as well 🤷*♂️
jadlewis03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
see I have always used cotton wool buds for my parade shoes and never had an issue however if you layer the polish first and then melt it with a lighter before bulling them with tights I find it comes up with a better shine especially if you use wet cotton buds with a little polish on afterwards.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Canopy cloth
Krusty101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Cotton wool balls are the best method in my opinion, I could never bull my shoes and just relied on other people doing them for me (mainly the cadets) after Halton I started using cotton wool balls and it is far easier. The method stated above works a treat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (134)
18.64%
Labour (306)
42.56%
Liberal Democrats (143)
19.89%
Green Party (41)
5.7%
Brexit Party (21)
2.92%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.28%
SNP (9)
1.25%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.83%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.14%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.14%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)