oversubscribed universities? Watch

shriya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
which university is the most oversubscribed for medicine?
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All of them - by as 'little' as 4 or 5 applicants per place (OxBridge), to 30-plus applicants per place (usually BSMS).

Which is most oversubscribed changes from year to year, as people try to play a game they can't win...
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All. No shortcuts into this course unfortunantly.
AEH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I were to say Newcastle had a applicant ratio of 4-1 this cycle, do you think it would have the same next year?

Just to be clear, I made that up entirely, in case any of you wazzocks are getting ideas.
nk9230
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shriya)
which university is the most oversubscribed for medicine?
here in the United States its the Mt. Sinai School for Medicine, All of the Ivy Leagues (Harvard, Princeton etc.), and i do belive MIT.
username43584
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
All of them - by as 'little' as 4 or 5 applicants per place (OxBridge), to 30-plus applicants per place (usually BSMS).

Which is most oversubscribed changes from year to year, as people try to play a game they can't win...
Why is BSMS always so oversubscribed?
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Who knows - perceptions of a new school being easier? Fantastic location: beaches, good bars, lovely town? erm... It's consistently been heavily oversubscribed in applicant terms since it opened
arpeggio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thought it was because BSMS has a smaller intake than most (about 100 places?) but the same number of people applying, so a higher applicant: offer ratio.
username43584
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought of the smaller intake theory, but it seems weird that it is so consistently oversubscribed. As said, it usually varies depending on who was undersubscribed the year before.
tomster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought it was because they had a lower grade requirement to every other university.
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's got to be the Brighton location. Surely. It's a very attractive place to want to study and live in
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I liked it - it was my only application to a place that contrasted with the others!
Speedbird2008
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:banghead:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
4 or 5 applicants per place (OxBridge)
When I went on the Oxford open day they told us they were one of the most popular course, with about 15 applicants per place. But I imagine it would change pretty drastically every year.
username43584
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonnyofengland)
When I went on the Oxford open day they told us they were one of the most popular course, with about 15 applicants per place. But I imagine it would change pretty drastically every year.
Amusingly I haven't thrown out my prospectus yet. For 2006/7 entry, the university average was 5.4 applicants per place. In terms of college it ranged from 3.1 (St Hildas) to 9.3 (Magdalen). College ratios vary year on year. Both my colleges had average application ratios in 06/07 but had two of the highest ratios in 07/08.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by becca2389)
Amusingly I haven't thrown out my prospectus yet. For 2006/7 entry, the university average was 5.4 applicants per place. In terms of college it ranged from 3.1 (St Hildas) to 9.3 (Magdalen). College ratios vary year on year. Both my colleges had average application ratios in 06/07 but had two of the highest ratios in 07/08.
I think that's because people tend to look at the statistics, and then apply to colleges with low ratios. So effectively you get a yo-yo effect of applicants to places. I don't think I'm going to take that much notice of them really, as they seem to vary a lot from year to year, and we were told that all the data was two years old anyway!
Sprout_hair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From what I'v read.. deffo Brighton and Southampton is the most oversubscribed..
I think it's because Southampton don't interview and Brighton is just a lovely close knit med school and from what i'v heard the students are really well supported!
username43584
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think that's because people tend to look at the statistics, and then apply to colleges with low ratios. So effectively you get a yo-yo effect of applicants to places. I don't think I'm going to take that much notice of them really, as they seem to vary a lot from year to year, and we were told that all the data was two years old anyway!
Applicants are so predictable! But yes, I reckon the ratio stays about the same overall, and 15:1 is more characteristic of colleges like Magdalen where everyone wants to apply just because it's Magdalen (which put me off applying even though I quite liked it!)
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Although some (:cool: ) are consistently higher - hence when they gave the stats they tended to be 3 year averages. But apply where you want!
ThePenguinMafia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Who knows - perceptions of a new school being easier? Fantastic location: beaches, good bars, lovely town? erm... It's consistently been heavily oversubscribed in applicant terms since it opened
were'nt they offering ABB offers or something? Or am I merely showing my age when I think of ABB offers and medicine?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (468)
38.08%
No - but I will (95)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.11%

Watched Threads