Why is it that...? (FAO those who keep tabs on current affairs) Watch

Chocca
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
...we nearly all know the names of Jimmy Mizen, Ben Kinsella and Robert Knox, but hardly anyone can recall the names of any of the black youths stabbed to death in London this year?

I'm itching to know.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The answer you are looking for is because they are all white, but I disagree. Them three hadn't been involved in any gangs or the sort plus their families and friends had been extremely vocal after the killings.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just vocality. The same reason why we we could all write the biography of Madeline McCann, and yet know nothing about thousands of other children in similar predicaments.
Gaylei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Kriss
was a Scottish fifteen-year-old who was kidnapped, beaten and murdered in Glasgow in 2004. Five "British" Muslim men were later found guilty of racially-motivated violence; those convicted of murder were all sentenced to life imprisonment.

Stephen was a black British teenager from South-East London who was stabbed to death while waiting for a bus on the evening of 22 April 1993.[1]

After the initial investigation, five suspects were arrested but never convicted.[2]
aka tej
Report 10 years ago
The above does not mean anything - pehaps the lack of evidence had something to do with it? If they had both been convicted, then perhaps sentences could be comparable. I don't know the names of any of the recent victims. Although I do remember the name of Stephen Lawrence, this is probably because it occured 500 yards from my house.
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ben Kinsella and Robert Knox are vaguely related to fame and therefore their deaths were exposed more. I'm sure it's nothing to do with race :rolleyes:
mfm89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Be nice if it wasnt to do with race, but i think there is an element of it. The media presume the public will be less interested because its more common to have black on black murders. certainly national news tend to focus on those few white boys who were killed, follow the campaigns of their relatives. Local/london news does report better on black teenagers who were killed, like Kodjo Yenga.
Probably bit of class stuff aswell like, as someone mentioned, the whole McCann thing.
Indeed.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chocca)
...we nearly all know the names of Jimmy Mizen, Ben Kinsella and Robert Knox...
Who?

Update: Oh, I see what you mean. Sorry, I thought you were talking about actual celebs.
Lady Venom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Probably because they are the most recent killings and therefore on the tip of everyone's tongue? I don't think it's race related - merely just 2 white people in quick succession?
_jackofdiamonds
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chocca)
...we nearly all know the names of Jimmy Mizen, Ben Kinsella and Robert Knox, but hardly anyone can recall the names of any of the black youths stabbed to death in London this year?

I'm itching to know.
Why do black youths make up the majority of knife crime victims yet are a minority of the total population, I'm itching to know.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well the answer is in the question; it's the news. Black people knife and shoot each other so regularly that it's hardly news when it happens anymore, when a white person gets killed it's more of a rareity and more often than not recently they've been 'innocent'.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by _jackofdiamonds)
Why do black youths make up the majority of knife crime victims yet are a minority of the total population, I'm itching to know.
Because they worship violence in their culture... obviously the only way you could EVER get out of a poor situation is through either a) drugs or b) violence. They have generally turned their back on education and getting them back to more productive ventures is nigh on impossible because it's not as easy as music or drug dealing. As a group white people deplore chavs, just look through the threads of hate in here towards them, yet almost every single black person is basically a chav - they are so inextricably tied there is no need to even label them something different.
LearningMath
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Black youths are way more prone to get involved in gangs and hence knife crime. The public are not as interested because thats just how it is, its not as uncommon to hear of a black lad stabbed/in a fatal fight.

Blame it on what you will, there is no conclusive reason, but a higher percentage of black lads get involved in gangs. I believe there is a dispatches episode on CH4 soon, cant remember its name, just remember that lad going 'Black attack!' :rolleyes:
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not because they're white, but because they were innocent. Most of the other deaths were gang related.

Do you remember last year when a black QPR footballer died when he was breaking up a fight?
He was all over the newspapers for a few weeks.
Mrgd291190
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Perhaps because when people are in danger we band together. Thus an attack or death of a white person affects white people more and as the majority of the population is white...It's not racist per se - it happens with any label that links us. Thomas ap Rhys Pryce's death interested me the both, because of a joint nationality (sorta) and a shared (possible) future career. If someone who died was revealed to be a fan of South Park or enjoyed photography then I'd be more interested.

Y'know, just my two cents.
ssk2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because they worship violence in their culture... obviously the only way you could EVER get out of a poor situation is through either a) drugs or b) violence. They have generally turned their back on education and getting them back to more productive ventures is nigh on impossible because it's not as easy as music or drug dealing. As a group white people deplore chavs, just look through the threads of hate in here towards them, yet almost every single black person is basically a chav - they are so inextricably tied there is no need to even label them something different.
The sad thing is, you're being deadly serious....
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ssk2)
The sad thing is, you're being deadly serious....
The sad thing is, you don't argue back. You might put forward 1 weak and feable argument, or an insult, but you'll leave it a few pages then come back and repeat it. The fact that you're too stupid to know how to quote properly is of course a reflection of your intelligence which is poor at best.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have asked myself this question so many times over the laast few months. I think it is down to racism. Black youths are almost expected to take part in gang violence, and the media seems to be 'shocked' when it happens to anyone white.

When a black youth is stabbed or shot in London, it doesnt tend to even get as far as the National news anymore, its usually just on BBC London. If a white child is attacked it is practically headline news (or it was in the case of Ben Kinsella).

I'd love to believe it wasnt racism, but it really does seem that way.
LearningMath
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mollymustard)
I have asked myself this question so many times over the laast few months. I think it is down to racism. Black youths are almost expected to take part in gang violence, and the media seems to be 'shocked' when it happens to anyone white.

When a black youth is stabbed or shot in London, it doesnt tend to even get as far as the National news anymore, its usually just on BBC London. If a white child is attacked it is practically headline news (or it was in the case of Ben Kinsella).

Its not racism... Its the truth. As i stated above a higher percentage of black youths are involved in gangs/crime. It follows that people will be less shocked/outraged etc when a black lad dies from a knife.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mollymustard)

All the white people mentioned who got stabbed were stabbed on nights out or whatever thing they were doing that was non-gang related. Why would they bother to report that a person who was involved in a gang got killed in a gang land killing regardless of their colour? It's just pointless. It's like reporting that somebody who went fishing managed to catch a fish - it's just a by product of what that person is involved in and so nobody cares.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads