The Student Room Group
Reply 1
GSMD exams & LAMDA exams, though whats your purpose for doing the courses? Do you just want to act, cause if so I'd advise just doing drama and musical theatre performances. Much more fun and you learn just as much.

EDIT: Sorry this is in the university section, so I guess you mean university courses. Well both GSMD and LAMDA have well respected university courses in London.
Reply 2
Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA as it's known). It's probably one of the best in the UK, and is part of the University of London chain.

If you want to go all out then also consider Lee Strasburg's Institute in New York and/or LA. Thats churned out some very famous people including De Niro, Marilyn Monroe, Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, Julia Roberts, and er, Sienna Miller.

Visit both there wiki profiles and homepages.
Reply 3
There are several very good Drama schools within London which is obviously the centre of the Arts within England, however don't discount other cities!

Looking specifically at Drama Schools and Performing Arts dedicated schools/colleges/universities:

London - in no specific order;

CSSD (Central School of Speech and Drama)
LAMDA (London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art)
GSMD (Guildhall School of Music and Drama)
RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Art)
ALRA (Academy of Live and Recorded Arts)
UAL (University of the Arts London)

Out of London - again in no specific order;

RWCMD (Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama) - Cardiff
LIPA (Liverpool Insititute of Performing Arts) - Liverpool
BOVTS (Bristol Old Vic Theatre School) - Bristol
BSA (Birmingham School of Acting) - Birmingham
RB (Rose Bruford) - Somewhere in Kent...can't remember exactly!

That is most definitely not an exhaustive list, and is just the Drama Schools I can pull off the top of my head. There are obviously many other Drama courses at more 'mainstream' universities.

As for looking at the 'best' schools/universities, you should have a look at the CDS (Conference of Drama Schools) and NCDT (National Council for Drama Training), both of these organisations 'accredit' certain courses or educational establishments and are a good guide to industry recognised courses. They are also a rough guide to the best courses that are there.

Good luck in your search, I hope that gives you a few places to start looking! If you need a hand with any audition preparation, or what auditions involve then shoot me a PM!

MJ
Reply 4
Places like Mountview and Guildford which haven't been mentioned are good as well.
I recommend trying BSA if you're going to apply for acting. The audition itself was brilliant.

Manchester Met has an amazing acting course.

Try just normal uni course as well, places like Uclan and York St Johns and what not. If your'e going to apply for acting and drama, you need to go for places like that too.

Latest