Why Are some British Girls So Unhealthy? :( Watch

This discussion is closed.
MissBeckyx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm European but moved here when I was a teenager, the way most British girls take care of themselves is shocking. I dont mean any disrespect by the way they are beautiful, although have a different makeup style to girls where I'm from, but young women here do things I don't see girls from other countries doing:

-They binge drink so much.. like a LOT. Yes girls everywhere go out, but only in the UK have I seen girls drink unhealthy amounts again, again realise its bad for them and still do nothing

-They eat really badly, not just on nights out (where girls often eat too much at takeaways, after drinking too much. ?). But in my home country, girls often learn to cook or at least have fresher food whereas here they just eat fast food all the time

-They don't exercise a lot and are active, or if they do they think they can eat what they want as above (again no disrespect, but SO MANY girls I know go to the gym regularly but its not enough to burn off what they eat which is all crap, like a whole pack of biscuits).

So why are some British girls so unhealthy? Its a shame because I think you have some of the most beautiful girls in Europe, the classy "British rose." Emma Watson etc.
username4998248
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Feminism.
MissBeckyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by jcx_)
Feminism.
But most countries in Europe are feminist, for example Sweden Denmark Norway etc. are arguably even more left wing and feminist than the UK and their women are some of their hottest.

I do see that on Instagram, British girls will have their peers praising them for drinking too much etc. on nights out. I think its sad.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oh lawd this is gonna be one hell of a thread
username4998248
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MissBeckyx)
But most countries in Europe are feminist, for example Sweden Denmark Norway etc. are arguably even more left wing and feminist than the UK and their women are some of their hottest.

I do see that on Instagram, British girls will have their peers praising them for drinking too much etc. on nights out. I think its sad.
My comment was a bit of a joke, although feminism may play a part (attached a couple articles related to this).

I don't know what the issue is in Britain to be honest.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ing-gender-gap

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/whats...omens_b_289511

https://www.theweek.co.uk/99816/the-...are-so-unhappy
Darelz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know any students who can afford to eat take-out or binge drink regularly, aha. Who are these mythical rich students?!

Seriously though, this sounds partly specific to the people you know and partly due to it being the start of the year. Going to university is most people's first taste of being fully free and in control of their life, so they'll go a bit crazy with it. They'll go out multiple times a week in the first term, then (most of them) will realise it's not sustainable and reign it in. Most people will start learning to look after themselves properly once they've settled in.

Food is a bit different. I've seen people eat unhealthy food because it was cheaper. I shop at Aldi where I can get fruit and veggies cheap, but my university is in a city so there are lots of supermarket options. I know some students don't have as many supermarket options available to them, so they may be forced to shop at more expensive supermarkets. If you also mess up your budget from first-term craziness, then you might be forced to eat pot noodles and baked beans for a while whether you like it or not.
Last edited by Darelz; 4 weeks ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
might have to agree with you compared to other European countries lol...
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Keep them short of food any money as you might. Most will soon have hourglass figures.
Darelz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd like to add that I do think the UK has a binge drinking problem, I just don't think it's as crazy as OP describes. Binge drinking (aka drinking too much in one session) is seen as a normal part of going out in the UK, most people drink beyond the recommended limits when they go out. But people don't binge drink regularly (after the first term), it'll be something they only do occasionally.
Last edited by Darelz; 4 weeks ago
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Cue all the triggered Brit chicks.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm European but moved here when I was a teenager, the way most British girls take care of themselves is shocking. I dont mean any disrespect by the way they are beautiful, although have a different makeup style to girls where I'm from, but young women here do things I don't see girls from other countries doing:

-They binge drink so much.. like a LOT. Yes girls everywhere go out, but only in the UK have I seen girls drink unhealthy amounts again, again realise its bad for them and still do nothing

-They eat really badly, not just on nights out (where girls often eat too much at takeaways, after drinking too much. ?). But in my home country, girls often learn to cook or at least have fresher food whereas here they just eat fast food all the time

-They don't exercise a lot and are active, or if they do they think they can eat what they want as above (again no disrespect, but SO MANY girls I know go to the gym regularly but its not enough to burn off what they eat which is all crap, like a whole pack of biscuits).

So why are British girls so unhealthy? Its a shame because I think you have some of the most beautiful girls in Europe, the classy "British rose." Emma Watson etc.
Which country are you from?
How many British girls do you claim to know?
You are generalising rather a lot.
What about the girls you dont know who arent out drinking or stuffing their faces with takeaway?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you are making an inaccurate vast generalisation.
One based upon almost entirely upon: the exhibitionists of the plus sized body positivity crowds, attention seeking social media users, the loutish "ladettes" whose antics regularly land them in the police station and limited personal experience of real life British girls.

Many British girls & women do eat healthily, cook their own food, exercise and consume alcohol in reasonable quantities.
There is a significant issue with many people (guys and girls) not being taught how to cook or informed what healthy meals are at school.
There is also a widespread feminist leaning social perception that it is archaic and unreasonable of men to expect women to spend time in the kitchen or to attempt to send women to the kitchen to prepare their meals.
MissBeckyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
I think you are making an inaccurate vast generalisation.
One based upon almost entirely upon: the exhibitionists of the plus sized body positivity crowds, attention seeking social media users, the loutish "ladettes" whose antics regularly land them in the police station and limited personal experience of real life British girls.

Many British girls & women do eat healthily, cook their own food, exercise and consume alcohol in reasonable quantities.
There is a significant issue with many people (guys and girls) not being taught how to cook or informed what healthy meals are at school.
There is also a widespread feminist leaning social perception that it is archaic and unreasonable of men to expect women to spend time in the kitchen or to attempt to send women to the kitchen to prepare their meals.
I agree, there are several women who are fitter than I am, however on average (I can find the studies?) the UK is one of the fattest nations in Europe isn't it?

I also applaud Jamie Oliver etc for dealing with the issue of unhealthy eating in schools. Where I am from, we would never serve "turkey twizzlers" or chips etc. to young kids.
username4992338
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t really think it’s anyone’s business what anyone does in any country😂 Why can’t you just live your own dammed life and do what makes you happy? Thoughts like this just piss me off
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I agree, there are several women who are fitter than I am, however on average (I can find the studies?) the UK is one of the fattest nations in Europe isn't it?

I also applaud Jamie Oliver etc for dealing with the issue of unhealthy eating in schools. Where I am from, we would never serve "turkey twizzlers" or chips etc. to young kids.
Ohhh, you’re a Jamie Oliver supporter. That explains it.....
MissBeckyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Darelz)
I'd like to add that I do think the UK has a binge drinking problem, I just don't think it's as crazy as OP describes. Binge drinking (aka drinking too much in one session) is seen as a normal part of going out in the UK, most people drink beyond the recommended limits when they go out. But people don't binge drink regularly (after the first term), it'll be something they only do occasionally.
Well where I go to university (Newcastle), there are always girls lying on the pavement on Friday and Saturday nights, or kneeling down in a puddle of vomit while the world sees their panties.
MissBeckyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by J Papi)
oh lawd this is gonna be one hell of a thread
(Original post by twist-and-shout)
I don’t really think it’s anyone’s business what anyone does in any country😂 Why can’t you just live your own dammed life and do what makes you happy? Thoughts like this just piss me off
and so it begins
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Are you French?
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Speaking as a British woman with an English rose complexion I can tell you I’m neither overweight or unhealthy!
I don’t drink any alcohol either.
You’re generalising a little too much.
We do have a binge drinking problem that affects men as well as women. Sadly I don’t have a solution
MissBeckyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Are you French?
I'm half French half Polish. I grew up in Paris though
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (62)
72.09%
No I haven't decided yet (15)
17.44%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.47%

Watched Threads