When did you decide you wanted to be a doctor and why? Watch

GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok this will have been asked before, but from my search it was a while ago.

At that awkward stage post-GCSEs where I'm trying to think about career choices, and medicine has (err quite recently) become one.

The odd thing is, I have no idea of why. I like science, but there's many other science degrees I could do. I'll like the helping people side, but it's not ever been the be-all and end-all of life for me. So it's not 100% that. I've had serious illness in my family, but I don't want to go into those specialties (well in particular, not syaing I wouldn't full stop).

It's a long time in uni/training, very hard work, a lot of stress and (I'd think) challenging in the way of having to rethink your ethics and maybe even lifestyle. And yet I think I'm falling in love with the idea! :eek:

Soo just want to know why you lot chose or are choosing it. Age old question eh.

On a sidenote - are there ever any overweight or obese people at medical school, or if everyone a healthy eating and fitness "freak"? That slightly concerns me :eek:

All nice and sarcastic (so long as they're witty) comment welcome! :p:
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pulling fit nurses
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
Medicine has always been a possible career choice for me. Since my GCSEs have finished though, I'm becoming more and more certain that Medicine is what I want to do with my life. I think everyone just expects me to do Medicine (for some bizarre reason) and that's why I kept saying "No, I'm going to read English"; however, the more I think about it, the more I realise that there's nothing else I want to do.
There are a number of people who are telling me to opt for Dentistry instead. That is probably due to less time required to train, a more flexible lifestyle, better pay and so forth, but I don't think it is as rewarding as Medicine. No offence intended to any dentists, as obviously teeth are of great importance; however, I don't believe you can compare saving a life to saving a tooth.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by piece_by_piece)
I think everyone just expects me to do Medicine (for some bizarre reason)
Err half your family are Iranian. There, you've found the reason

:p:
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?
(Original post by piece_by_piece)
No offence intended to any dentists, as obviously teeth are of great importance; however, I don't believe you can compare saving a life to saving a tooth.
I guess harder to kill someone too!

At least i'm not the only one without a why.

It's really growing on me! I've spent the last 2 days researching it vigorously (just to decide if I could). I think next step is work experience! :eek:
billet-doux
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Err half your family are Iranian. There, you've found the reason

:p:
Haha, perhaps :p:
AEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've found it frequently unquantifiable to be honest. If you ever try to break it down and think about it, it gets away from you. I suppose that makes it more than the sum of its parts.

From where you are though, it sounds like you should get some work experience done and find out what the job entails. Try to separate out a love of the job from, as you say, a love of the idea (Stethoscopes and titles etc).
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Last Wednesday. It was awesome.
AEH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Last Wednesday. It was awesome.
I can't tell if you're being sarcy or if you had one of those "I love my job" moments. I mean, they do happen but not during forth year exam periods....
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When I was three and I was bought a toy stethoscope instead of a football. My mum was proud and my dad was completely gutted. (sarcasm)
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AEH)
I can't tell if you're being sarcy or if you had one of those "I love my job" moments. I mean, they do happen but not during forth year exam periods....
Aye - it was a HUGE dollop of exam angst blughh!!!

Talking of which, how was today?

xxx
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the monies
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?
(Original post by AEH)
I've found it frequently unquantifiable to be honest. If you ever try to break it down and think about it, it gets away from you. I suppose that makes it more than the sum of its parts.

From where you are though, it sounds like you should get some work experience done and find out what the job entails. Try to separate out a love of the job from, as you say, a love of the idea (Stethoscopes and titles etc).

Yep just got to get some now! :rolleyes:

It isn't the idea of titles and stuff that I like, it's the idea of the job. Long, stressful hours, no time to relax.. perfect

I want to be just like house/scrubs characters! (I'm kidding, don't panic)

If nayone can answer the last bit - as to whether there's ever overweight people at med school - I'd be appreciative.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are lots of overweight people at medical school. Why?
arpeggio
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I started thinking about it seriously during the GCSE exam period, although I had always been interested in some kind of healthcare career. Probably due to the fact that I like being around all kinds of people, listening to what they have to say and taking care of them. I thought I wanted to be a nurse, but work experience made me realise that actually the problem-solving aspect of Medicine was more appealing to me, and I wanted to delve deeper into the scientific side. They're some of my reasons, but it's hard to put into words and I think it's ok to not have a specific reason for wanting to be a doctor - as long as you've thought it through and have done some work experience to find out if it's really for you. Good luck
AEH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Aye - it was a HUGE dollop of exam angst blughh!!!

Talking of which, how was today?

xxx
Today wasn't too bad, nothing to make me fall back off my chair or cry or anything. Although someone has a bit of a thing about kidneys. Usual dollop of guess work and 'say something sensible' along with the barndoors. So we shall see. Tomorrow on the other hand....
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?
There are lots of overweight people at medical school. Why?
Clearly because I'm skinny and want to laugh at them. :rolleyes:

That and I was kinda wondering if they'd think people should all be the right weight to "set a good example" or.. something.

ETA: Thankyou arpeggio
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are lots of smokers, heavy drinkers and, dare I say it, illicit drug takers too. Medical students are human.
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?
There are lots of smokers, heavy drinkers and, dare I say it, illicit drug takers too. Medical students are human.
Awww, I thought I'd turn into some type of alien creature! So not fair

Hmm fair enough. Thankyou
tomster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by graemematt)
When I was three and I was bought a toy stethoscope instead of a football. My mum was proud and my dad was completely gutted. (sarcasm)
That one really made me laugh

I realised during my time in hospital, but now the determination to become one is stronger than ever!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.69%
No - but I will (100)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (622)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise