The Student Room Group

Quick ways to feel less depressed at UNI?

Hey. I feel a bit alone atm. I know it's still the start of uni life but I'm finding it hard to make "friends". I have some friends in my residence and some on my course and on societies, I don't have a shortage of them but they're not like friends I had at sixth form. I know it's still early and you don't always make besties immediately but overall i'm a bit depressed. I walk into lectures knowing anyone and I feel people judge me for that. I'm not incredibly shy but I just prefer not rushing things. Will things get better? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey. I feel a bit alone atm. I know it's still the start of uni life but I'm finding it hard to make "friends". I have some friends in my residence and some on my course and on societies, I don't have a shortage of them but they're not like friends I had at sixth form. I know it's still early and you don't always make besties immediately but overall i'm a bit depressed. I walk into lectures knowing anyone and I feel people judge me for that. I'm not incredibly shy but I just prefer not rushing things. Will things get better? Thanks.

Heyyy, trust me I know exactly how you feel! You feel like an alien going into uni on your own, and feel like people are judging you too. But trust me, nobody cares at uni, everybody has respect for the fact that you’ve even come in tovthe lectures! But you will eventually make friends even if it takes time, one day you’ll somehow make conversation with someone on your course and it will all click from there and you’ll wonder why you were ever worried! So please just remember these things take time, and almost everyone I know at uni feels alone at some point so it’s only natural :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Jaiymes
Heyyy, trust me I know exactly how you feel! You feel like an alien going into uni on your own, and feel like people are judging you too. But trust me, nobody cares at uni, everybody has respect for the fact that you’ve even come in tovthe lectures! But you will eventually make friends even if it takes time, one day you’ll somehow make conversation with someone on your course and it will all click from there and you’ll wonder why you were ever worried! So please just remember these things take time, and almost everyone I know at uni feels alone at some point so it’s only natural :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
I feel so much better now.

Bless.
Hey.

This is the general consensus for a lot of people and it seems like you're no different!
For the most part, you will not have friendships like your old ones UNTIL you make the effort. It's hard being shy, socially awkward, or anything inbetween, but I've seen even those people with good friends.
You just have to speak to a couple people, get your name known, and you'll be on the fast track to getting pals.
Joshua :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending