The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

how safe is roehampton university?

I know some boroughs of london are notorious for being dangerous. Is the borough in which roehampton university lies in, dangerous? Asking since I may study there next year
Original post by lewis6969
I know some boroughs of london are notorious for being dangerous. Is the borough in which roehampton university lies in, dangerous? Asking since I may study there next year

Probably not the most useful reply you'll get as I don’t go to Roehampton myself but I have a few friends who go there and they seem to love it, plus they haven't had any particular safety concerns yet. The same sort of safety precautions apply as with anywhere in London, just be generally sensible and cautious, particularly at night.

Either way plenty of people go to Roehampton and stay safe so if it's where you want to go, I'd say go.
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Utterlyscrewed
Probably not the most useful reply you'll get as I don’t go to Roehampton myself but I have a few friends who go there and they seem to love it, plus they haven't had any particular safety concerns yet. The same sort of safety precautions apply as with anywhere in London, just be generally sensible and cautious, particularly at night.

Either way plenty of people go to Roehampton and stay safe so if it's where you want to go, I'd say go.

sounds good, thanks
I personally live in London and have many friends that live in Roehampton, have been there lots.
I'll put it one way - its not a nice area.
Not that its dangerous, although rough and trampy, one of the worst in South West London.
The uni is next to an estate which is dodgy.
I can't say anything for the uni itself.
If you're from London then it's probably not something you've never seen before but if you're not you might not like it.
It's a small area but lots of estates and chavs and people like that, mostly blocks and in London they're not the best places. The areas surrounding are nice 25min bus to Wimbledon, 15 to Putney and Southfields, also quite near Kingston, but its just Roehampton.
Go on google maps and street view and take a look for yourself. I'm not even considering Roehampton because the area is awful.
Original post by Anonymous
I personally live in London and have many friends that live in Roehampton, have been there lots.
Not that its dangerous, although rough and trampy, one of the worst in South West London.
If you're from London then it's probably not something you've never seen before but if you're not you might not like it.
It's a small area but lots of estates and chavs and people like that, mostly blocks and in London they're not the best places. The areas surrounding are nice 25min bus to Wimbledon, 15 to Putney and Southfields, also quite near Kingston, but its just Roehampton.
Go on google maps and street view and take a look for yourself. I'm not even considering Roehampton because the area is awful.

Also many roadmen on bikes and drug dealers. It's literally in the start of a block of flats so you'd defo see these people. You won't know them though, so they're not scary and they wont do anything. You won't get stabbed its not like that, but the area is kinda trampy, the people there are bad and just overall not the nicest uni. People prob go there because they don't care about the area or they're from London so they won't care.

Literally not biased cos I have nothing against Roehampton but everyone knows its a **** area, even people who live there.
Reply 5

i just looked on google map, its not that bad? its right next to some extremely beautiful parks that i'd love to chill in
Reply 6
Also many roadmen on bikes and drug dealers. It's literally in the start of a block of flats so you'd defo see these people. You won't know them though, so they're not scary and they wont do anything. You won't get stabbed its not like that, but the area is kinda trampy, the people there are bad and just overall not the nicest uni. People prob go there because they don't care about the area or they're from London so they won't care.

Literally not biased cos I have nothing against Roehampton but everyone knows its a **** area, even people who live there.

im sure places like hackney are 100x worse and i bet there are universities in hackney too that people are going to. I live in birmingham and in one of the most dangerous areas in the city. ive been jumped three times a few mins away from my house so roehampton cant be much worse
im sure places like hackney are 100x worse and i bet there are universities in hackney too that people are going to. I live in birmingham and in one of the most dangerous areas in the city. ive been jumped three times a few mins away from my house so roehampton cant be much worse

no hackney is like roehampton but bigger. I was actually going to mention hackney in my last post. roehampton is small so the bad areas are near the estates and central roe. i'm not talking about whats surrounding it, you asked for the area and i told you about the area.
idk but anyone else who lives in south london knows that roehampton is a really trampy and poor/bad area, but like do whatever u want, i'm just telling you because i know the area, and you asked what the area was like.
but surrounding are very nice areas, the nicest is richmond park (like 10 min) and wimbledon (25 min bus drive).
if ur used to those kinda areas its fine like i said u wont exactly care, i just told u.
you'll see what I mean if u go there, thats all i'll say.
Reply 8
no hackney is like roehampton but bigger. I was actually going to mention hackney in my last post. roehampton is small so the bad areas are near the estates and central roe. i'm not talking about whats surrounding it, you asked for the area and i told you about the area.
idk but anyone else who lives in south london knows that roehampton is a really trampy and poor/bad area, but like do whatever u want, i'm just telling you because i know the area, and you asked what the area was like.
but surrounding are very nice areas, the nicest is richmond park (like 10 min) and wimbledon (25 min bus drive).
if ur used to those kinda areas its fine like i said u wont exactly care, i just told u.
you'll see what I mean if u go there, thats all i'll say.

well thanks for your input. Maybe youre right, looks like theres only one way to truly find out lol
Personally I'd avoid Roehampton, too many friends have been the victim of brutal muggings.
The campus is beautiful but the local area has a terrible problem with criminals, illegal drugs and antisocial behaviour.
Lecturers need to start being honest about how bad the Roehampton area is- specially before 9am and after dark.
Reply 10
Original post by londonmyst
Personally I'd avoid Roehampton, too many friends have been the victim of brutal muggings.
The campus is beautiful but the local area has a terrible problem with criminals, illegal drugs and antisocial behaviour.
Lecturers need to start being honest about how bad the Roehampton area is- specially before 9am and after dark.

thats two people now, im reconsidering roehampton as my 5th choice now lol

I don't want to alarm you but the violent crime is absolutely terrible.

15 friends experienced extreme violence in Roehampton; either mugged, attacked by a criminal with an illegal weapon or beaten up trying to rescue someone else mugged/attacked.
Only one friend was living on campus; he was badly injured by muggers during the daytime, twice in 72 hrs and moved out of campus accommodation after nine days.
All the others lived off-campus and were commuting to Roehampton Uni, 3-4 days a week.Two are amateur boxers.

Whenever I have to go to Roehampton during the day, I bring a big and scary looking dog with me.
I'm a 5'1 female and started learning krav maga martial arts while I was petsitting rabbits in Roehampton for a fortnight.
I won't go near Roehampton after dark- ever.
Reply 12

15 friends experienced extreme violence in Roehampton; either mugged, attacked by a criminal with an illegal weapon or beaten up trying to rescue someone else mugged/attacked.
Only one friend was living on campus; he was badly injured by muggers during the daytime, twice in 72 hrs and moved out of campus accommodation after nine days.
All the others lived off-campus and were commuting to Roehampton Uni, 3-4 days a week.Two are amateur boxers.

Whenever I have to go to Roehampton during the day, I bring a big and scary looking dog with me.
I'm a 5'1 female and started learning krav maga martial arts while I was petsitting rabbits in Roehampton for a fortnight.

yikes, sorry to hear. yeah **** roehampton lol. its nothing special anyway

I've never personally expieranced this because I have friends who live there and know these types of people so I wouldn't get touched, but when i've been with my friends they have started to try talk to us and whatnot. I don't personally know them though, but this can be confirmed because those people are the types of people to do that, i know a lot of bad things that has happened in roehampton. it's known to be a really bad area. gangs aswell, knife crime, etc. and these are the type of people that will throw fireworks at you when its guy fawkes time. such a dogdy area.
As someone who lived in Roehampton and still frequently visits, I can say that it has improved from what it was. Just stay vigilant when walking at night and remember to lock your doors lol

I have lived in Kingston ( 10 mins from Roehampton) for 20 years and know Roehampton very well. My doctor's surgery is nearly opposite the university.
Yes there is a council estate near to the uni, but no it is no longer dangerous, since becoming populated by polish people with familys. The rough element of the estate has long since left, it is now families and hardworking people that live and occupy the flats. The Uni is 2 minutes from Richmond Park, the very expensive prestigious Roehampton Sports club is on the same road. 2 mins away is the very expensive area of Sheen where all the upper middle class live. 5 mins from the Uni is the Lawn tennis Association.7 mins is the upper class and extremely expensive borough of Richmond. Roehampton is a small area with one tiny highstreet and one small road . The whole area is sandwiched between the very expensive and upper class areas of Putney, Richmond, Wimbledon Village, and Kingston. What I am trying to say is that Roehampton is situated in a great area with low crime and muggings. Don't listen to people on this forum who don't know what they are talking about, I live in this area, have done all my life and therefore have first hand experience and can give you true and accurate information. I also have a friend that is a teaching assistant at the uni, whoI often meet up with at the uni.
Hey, I just wanted to pop in on this thread. I can’t speak for anyone else here but myself and everyone I know at Roehampton has never felt unsafe, either on campus or in the surrounding areas. London is a lot less safe than less built up areas elsewhere in England but I grew up near the uni and I feel considerably safer at uni than I do in my hometown nearby. Obviously it’s not possible to visit right now but I would say it gets a bad reputation for no reason and I would really hope that a few people thinking it’s unsafe won’t put anyone off of attending Roehampton.

I'm starting at roe in september, and it's like chelsea compared to where I'm from. I lived in a really dodgy town in London for years and my parents are more than happy for me to be moving back to london and going to roe. I guess it helps that I'm used to places like that and also I've got family very close if anything did happen, so it really depends on what you can cope with. People are saying it's trampy but thats kinda my vibe lmao
I have been living in Roehampton since 2016, we bought a flat in the main road 5 min walking distance from the university, I live in a new building, each flat cost half of a million pounds, Roehampton is a mixed of very rich people and very deprived, Richmond park is at my door step which is a blessing! Soon will be a massive council housing demolition and a regeneration of that area will start, the area right now is not the best but is not dangerous neither. I’m a local and I am happy here, I’m looking forward to the regeneration though…

Quick Reply

Latest