Engineer seeking some advice Watch

scottishlad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ive just graduated with MEng Civil & Environmental Engineering 1st class from Edinburgh University. Basically I would like a wee bit of advice on possible jobs within investment banks or, generally, in the finance sector with a numerate degree like engineering.

ECs: Lacrosse (1st team), Debating Club (Social Secretary), Started my own successful internet business while at Uni

Was picked for the ERASMUS programme where I had the opportunity to study at Pensylvania University in my 3rd year.

Won awards for the highest marks in the maths modules in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year.

I also studied Economics as an extra module in 1st year where I scored >90%

Would I have a chance of getting a position within an BB IB?
fonzievision
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course. Why have you not applied yet given that you've already graduated?
scottishlad
Rep:
?
Ive actually got a graduate job lined up for a year already :p: Forgot to mention I had a scholarship while at Uni and was sponsored by Balfour Beattie to get my degree. Once my contract ends with them how should I go about getting into IB? I want a role that involves a lot of numerate ability so something like trading would be ideal. Should I apply for an internship or a graduate position?
uthinkilltellu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
your could also try structuring. thats got quite a bit of hard core maths in it, i hear. You should always aim for a gradute role.
scottishlad
Rep:
?
Thing is I didnt do an internship while at Uni. Will that make is almost impossible to get a graduate role? I was thinking about applying to places like Citi, GS, BarCap, JPM etc.
Will.Storm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scottishlad)
Ive just graduated with MEng Civil & Environmental Engineering 1st class from Edinburgh University. Basically I would like a wee bit of advice on possible jobs within investment banks or, generally, in the finance sector with a numerate degree like engineering.

ECs: Lacrosse (1st team), Debating Club (Social Secretary), Started my own successful internet business while at Uni

Was picked for the ERASMUS programme where I had the opportunity to study at Pensylvania University in my 3rd year.

Won awards for the highest marks in the maths modules in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year.

I also studied Economics as an extra module in 1st year where I scored >90%

Would I have a chance of getting a position within an BB IB?
That actually sounds incredible. Can I ask about your lifestyle during uni, did you actually work your socks off 12 hours a day?

Anyway although I am in no position to advise you, I am about to begin my 3rd internship in business related sectors and I recently spoke to a lady @ GS with a senior position and she basically said, if you have the brains, and you are able to show that you are smarter than the other 50 or so candidates fighting for the place, then you are in. A lot of it is based on the approach you take in the interview, they really want a new background story from the unique individual.

I would bet that you get into an IB and a good chance for the BB ones. Good luck!

(did you go for the ICE quest, and I thought the contract ends after you grad. You seem to be suggesting that you have to work a year for them?)
Will.Storm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also think about roles in quants, swaps etc.
woody87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If your good with Matlab or any sort of language along that line quant roles at places like Man Group might be within touching distance. Loads of places looking for people with top notch quant skills if you search efinancialcareers. Have a look at a text book like Hull - Options, Futures and other derivs for the kind of applications of quant theory that is used in finance.

On an off-topic nature, damm good lacrosse team you played for.
scottishlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Will.Storm)
That actually sounds incredible. Can I ask about your lifestyle during uni, did you actually work your socks off 12 hours a day?

Anyway although I am in no position to advise you, I am about to begin my 3rd internship in business related sectors and I recently spoke to a lady @ GS with a senior position and she basically said, if you have the brains, and you are able to show that you are smarter than the other 50 or so candidates fighting for the place, then you are in. A lot of it is based on the approach you take in the interview, they really want a new background story from the unique individual.

I would bet that you get into an IB and a good chance for the BB ones. Good luck!

(did you go for the ICE quest, and I thought the contract ends after you grad. You seem to be suggesting that you have to work a year for them?)
Well being in the lacrosse team involved a fair bit of travelling for away matches and I went to training a couple of times a week. The debating club was held once a week and I organised social events throughout the semester. I spent around 2 hours developing my internet business every night and now it generates a pretty hefty amount of money :cool: Well maths has always been my strong point so when it came to the more maths intensive modules it was a breeze! ! 1st year was pretty straight forward as it just covered advanced maths from school again. It was only when I got to 2nd year I had to work long hours to achieve a 1st degree in the end...
And no I got my scholarship through Edinburgh Uni so its a bit different I would imagine? Its actually a very interesting job for now until I start applying for a job in IB!
boxface
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't mean to spoil the party but your main problems will be that you went to Edinburgh as opposed to Oxbridge/London, and that you don't have any experience. Your EC's are quite impressive which might get over the former, but in the current state of recruitment the latter is more of a problem - getting straight to a FO IB position (especially in a BB bank) is very difficult without experience. Though getting sponsored is impressive, and any work experience is good if you can sell it as relevant, a year working for Balfour Beattie may actually exacerbate your lack of banking experience if you don't have any by then, as your cv will read "engineering, engineering, engineering!".

To put this in perspective I've just finished a 1st class MEng from Oxford, and also have no IB experience. I applied to around 20 firms last autumn for FO positions (mainly trading) and was unsuccessful in getting a job. My plan now is to get on to recruitment consultants etc and look for whatever experience I can get - these are tough jobs, and it really is very difficult to sell yourself as suitable if you haven't done something similar before.
scottishlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by boxface)
I don't mean to spoil the party but your main problems will be that you went to Edinburgh as opposed to Oxbridge/London, and that you don't have any experience. Your EC's are quite impressive which might get over the former, but in the current state of recruitment the latter is more of a problem - getting straight to a FO IB position (especially in a BB bank) is very difficult without experience. Though getting sponsored is impressive, and any work experience is good if you can sell it as relevant, a year working for Balfour Beattie may actually exacerbate your lack of banking experience if you don't have any by then, as your cv will read "engineering, engineering, engineering!".

To put this in perspective I've just finished a 1st class MEng from Oxford, and also have no IB experience. I applied to around 20 firms last autumn for FO positions (mainly trading) and was unsuccessful in getting a job. My plan now is to get on to recruitment consultants etc and look for whatever experience I can get - these are tough jobs, and it really is very difficult to sell yourself as suitable if you haven't done something similar before.
To be fair not many Scottish people apply to Unis in England as they are far too costly for most and it really isnt the done thing to do. The more able Scottish candidates usually go to Edinburgh/St. Andrews. I know a few folk in my school who got straight A's and they either went to one of the aforementioned unis. BB IBs may take this into consideration but im not totally sure about this.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
With a degree in civil engineering I doubt you'll be in for a shout of any quant jobs, what's the hardest maths you did?
boxface
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scottishlad)
To be fair not many Scottish people apply to Unis in England as they are far too costly for most and it really isnt the done thing to do. The more able Scottish candidates usually go to Edinburgh/St. Andrews. I know a few folk in my school who got straight A's and they either went to one of the aforementioned unis. BB IBs may take this into consideration but im not totally sure about this.
I should perhaps have mentioned I'm Scottish also. What you're saying is true in my experience - I didn't know anyone else who applied to universities in England let alone to Oxford, and met few Scottish students in my time there. I doubt the banks will know or take this into account...

However, as I said in my previous post, your main problem will be lack of experience. Don't get me wrong - Edinburgh is a well respected, prestigious university, and your EC's will help - but especially in the current state of recruitment your lack of experience will make things difficult (this applies to me too!).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.48%
No - but I will (48)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.3%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise