Struggling to speak to people my age Watch

KarmaKit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone

I've been struggling a little at the moment to speak to people of the same age as me. At school I've found that to catch up on school work I've been working through break and lunch and the few times I've had to speak to people it's mainly been through study groups.

My friends and I do make plans occassionally to go out but the problem I've had is that I think I'm too comfortable around the same people. If that makes sense. As in I'm not really sure how to begin a conversation with someone I've never spoken to before.

When I do, I come off as a bit awkward and the conversation isn't great.

Does anyone have any ideas of things I could potentially do to meet people my age and become better at this?
student342
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would suggest maybe join a group or clubs, that can help you meet people.

Are you in high school?

I usually find that finding something in common is great or something to laugh at is a good ice breaker. Believe in yourself, be confident and I think keep it natural as possible is best.
zahrah.rahrah
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I agree with student342. I just recently started sixth form and at first, i didn't enjoy it because I was unable to make new friends and I just wanted to stay with my old friends but then I started joining different clubs especially sports and have made really really good friends from that. Also the key thing to making new friends is to be confident in yourself and have a positive attitude - you will attract the right type of people if you do so. Also, don't try too hard - don't be someone who you are not otherwise you won't be happy - just be yourself. Trust me , at first most people feel the exact same way that you do - it just takes time. Just start by smiling and saying hi to someone and then find things that you have in common with them and remember to be confident in yourself but not overconfident. People usually engage with people who start conversations and if you don't say anything to them then they won't say anything back (i know that sounds a bit basic) but sometimes we all forget this. Hope that helps : )
KarmaKit
Rep:
?
(Original post by zahrah.rahrah)
I agree with student342. I just recently started sixth form and at first, i didn't enjoy it because I was unable to make new friends and I just wanted to stay with my old friends but then I started joining different clubs especially sports and have made really really good friends from that. Also the key thing to making new friends is to be confident in yourself and have a positive attitude - you will attract the right type of people if you do so. Also, don't try too hard - don't be someone who you are not otherwise you won't be happy - just be yourself. Trust me , at first most people feel the exact same way that you do - it just takes time. Just start by smiling and saying hi to someone and then find things that you have in common with them and remember to be confident in yourself but not overconfident. People usually engage with people who start conversations and if you don't say anything to them then they won't say anything back (i know that sounds a bit basic) but sometimes we all forget this. Hope that helps : )
The advice on speaking to people was very helpful, thank you!

But I can't test it at an afterschool club cause our sixth form doesn't have a single one

Not even a sports club
student342
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by KarmaKit)
The advice on speaking to people was very helpful, thank you!

But I can't test it at an afterschool club cause our sixth form doesn't have a single one

Not even a sports club
Are you sure?
Try joining a club outside of sixth form or ask one of the teachers to set one up?
zahrah.rahrah
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you sure?

Maybe try set one up or ask people if they would like to play a sport in a park or something or you could even try and ask people what sports they like and then persuade your school to have a sports club which is popular in demand ( if that makes sense)
Synchronization
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Try joining a performing arts group if there's one near you, as I found performing arts really helped boost my confidence enough to feel confident to speak to the majority of people I have met without feeling like I'm going to break down and now I feel like I'm a little bit too confident at times.
KarmaKit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Synchronization)
Try joining a performing arts group if there's one near you, as I found performing arts really helped boost my confidence enough to feel confident to speak to the majority of people I have met without feeling like I'm going to break down and now I feel like I'm a little bit too confident at times.
Ooh this is a good idea. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads