Ummaliya_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm having doubts about my degree! I'm doing Modern languages with International Relations, I didn't think it was going to be that demanding of a degree lol, it requires 5 days a week and it takes 3 hours for me to commute so not so ideal I guess, while most subjects are 3. It also comes with a year abroad, which I was super pumped about earlier but not so much as I look into it more and more - everything is to be done ourselves as far as the visa and accommodation process goes, and that's pretty daunting. Student loans is already very stressful and that appears to make it more stressful, as finances on a year abroad so far seems unpredictable ( think Brexit and everything lol ) I think I will always find opportunities later with time abroad, as I plan to do masters, seek work/placement/ study opportunities. I'm not sure about an entire year at this point. I also have doubts that my degree might be another Mickey Mouse degree, my primary passion was history and International Relations, but I seemed to have excelled at languages at A levels so took that instead, I guess I don't know if i should take a gap year and really look into at what I want to do, or just stick to it and go for it. I feel like languages is something I should do aside/take classes/teach myself, and invest my £30000 tuition fee that can't be taught like the law/history/international Relations department. Advice would be great pleaseee
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ummaliya_)
I'm having doubts about my degree! I'm doing Modern languages with International Relations, I didn't think it was going to be that demanding of a degree lol, it requires 5 days a week and it takes 3 hours for me to commute so not so ideal I guess, while most subjects are 3. It also comes with a year abroad, which I was super pumped about earlier but not so much as I look into it more and more - everything is to be done ourselves as far as the visa and accommodation process goes, and that's pretty daunting. Student loans is already very stressful and that appears to make it more stressful, as finances on a year abroad so far seems unpredictable ( think Brexit and everything lol ) I think I will always find opportunities later with time abroad, as I plan to do masters, seek work/placement/ study opportunities. I'm not sure about an entire year at this point. I also have doubts that my degree might be another Mickey Mouse degree, my primary passion was history and International Relations, but I seemed to have excelled at languages at A levels so took that instead, I guess I don't know if i should take a gap year and really look into at what I want to do, or just stick to it and go for it. I feel like languages is something I should do aside/take classes/teach myself, and invest my £30000 tuition fee that can't be taught like the law/history/international Relations department. Advice would be great pleaseee
You can try and change course now, but almost certainly too late, check with uni about fee liability.
You seem to have chosen a course with a woeful lack of research into how it works, but whats more of an issue is the crazy commute.
If you are fee liable now for first terms then maybe stick it out and use your time there to access careers and applying for 2020.

Seems you really need to go back to the drawing board and rethink about degree and career. You get one gift year but seems your lack of research has cost you that. If needs be resit A levels for a better uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (66)
73.33%
No I haven't decided yet (15)
16.67%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10%

Watched Threads