Thinking about starting uni at 22 Watch

Myheartsxxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I had a mental breakdown during my A-Levels (not due to the workload) and ended up not applying for uni, getting disappointing results and falling out of love with what I originally wanted to do. I worked from the age of 16 but haven't had a job since I was 19 due to an awful mental breakdown and I haven't been able to do anything about it (I don't receive any benefits or any money from the government). I'm still not 100% okay however I'm getting there but I'm not ready for a job and I really don't want to work in retail and I've been looking into doing a uni course in childhood/youth development but I don't know how I feel about being 25 when I graduate. Is it worth it? I'm overly nervous and haven't applied yet because of this. I just don't want to spend another 3 years doing nothing waiting for life to happen to me but worried I'll get judged for being old
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I really do not know how to answer the question.
Let me reword it.

Is it worth being 25 with a degree?
Or
Is it worth being 25 with no degree and almost no work experience?

I know what I'd prefer.
That being said you need to make sure your mentally ready for university.
Personally I've found the only people who care about age are the ones who worry about it.
Regardless your still really young so I don't understand why it's such a concern. Heck student finance still take into account your parents earnings until your 25.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Myheartsxxx)
I had a mental breakdown during my A-Levels (not due to the workload) and ended up not applying for uni, getting disappointing results and falling out of love with what I originally wanted to do. I worked from the age of 16 but haven't had a job since I was 19 due to an awful mental breakdown and I haven't been able to do anything about it (I don't receive any benefits or any money from the government). I'm still not 100% okay however I'm getting there but I'm not ready for a job and I really don't want to work in retail and I've been looking into doing a uni course in childhood/youth development but I don't know how I feel about being 25 when I graduate. Is it worth it? I'm overly nervous and haven't applied yet because of this. I just don't want to spend another 3 years doing nothing waiting for life to happen to me but worried I'll get judged for being old
Hi there Myheartsxxx

As adam277 says, 25 is still young to graduate university. I was 40 when I started my undergraduate and have no regrets on starting my course or staying on to do an MRes. Genuinely, no one cares about ages at university.

At Liverpool Hope, we have an excellent student support network, where students can drop in daily if they are concerned about anything, so I would recommend that you check with any university you're interested in applying to that they have a good support framework, in case you need it. I also agree with adam277 that you need to make sure you are mentally ready for university before applying.

Fi :horse:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (162)
53.29%
18-20 years old (no) (36)
11.84%
20-25 years old (yes) (49)
16.12%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.32%
25-30 years old (yes) (20)
6.58%