Getting to Cambridge from London Watch

TomTeeTom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Does anyone know how to get to Cambridge from London. I live in East london and could anyone advise me on the quickest way to get to Cambridge by train. Thanks
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
You can go from London Euston. Takes just over an hour. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Edit: Or apparently Kings Cross which is quicker according to others :p:
Jimny
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Train, takes about 40 mins, Go from Kings cross.
Absurd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get a train from Liverpool Street, or even Finsbury Park.
Nikalin
Report 10 years ago
Also Liverpool Street Station, direct line to Camb. with fast and slow trains, leaving approx every 20 mins.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The best one is a direct one from L'pool Street or Kings Cross, I think you can go without changes on either. only about 45mins. I guess since your in East London you could get the central line to L'pool street.
TomTeeTom
Rep:
?
Do i have to pay adult fare? Im 16
Zoedotdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get a student railcard
NilsJohan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It depends on where in London youre going I guess... I used to take the bus every other week or so, it's often late, takes about 2 hours, but is cheaper. And if you are going to somewhere thats closer to the bus stations (Stratford, Embankment, Victoria and so on) it might be about as fast. It depends on how cheap you are I guess. The bus station is also closer to most colleges than the train station in Cambridge.
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You do know you can look all this up online, don't you? With timetables and fares and everything. It's magic. (And less confusing than lots of differing accounts on here!).

Essentially, though, you get a tube to a major station (King's X has the most services to Cambridge -- some just over an hour, some 45 minutes -- but it's not the only route), and then direct from there to Cambridge. Easy peasy.
ukebert
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The train from Kings Cross to Cambridge has a name, like the Flying Scotsman and the Northern Lights. It's called:

"The Cambridge Express"

That's the fast one, takes very little time at all.
psyche87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
London (All Terminals) to Cambridge should cost around £10-15 with a railcard for a day return. I've found the quick (i.e. almost non-stop) train from King's Cross to Cambridge to be the quickest (taking about 45 minutes). I think the train from King's Cross that has quite a number of stops takes 1-1.5 hours, and ditto for the train from Liverpool Street. You can find the times/etc at www.nationalrail.co.uk (as someone has already mentioned). Major downside of taking train is that the train station isn't very close to the Cambridge city centre (about a 30-40 minute walk).

(The alternative is to take the coach - www.nationalexpress.co.uk. It takes about 2 hours to get from London Victoria (central) to Cambridge Parkside, and fares can be as low as £1 (funfares) if you book early enough. Parkside is also fairly close to the city centre (maybe a 5-10 minute walk?).)
rarara2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TomTeeTom)
Do i have to pay adult fare? Im 16
16 year olds technically have to pay, 15 year olds don't..... how old do you look?
TomTeeTom
Rep:
?
(Original post by rarara2)
16 year olds technically have to pay, 15 year olds don't..... how old do you look?
i look about 18 so no chance.
NesQuiK.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I went from London Liverpool Street to Cambridge a couple of days ago on a national express train (1hr) for £7.00 retuern, just a basic ticket with no student discount etc
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Liverpool Street trains are slow and stop, generally, everywhere.

Kings Cross trains are new and fast, you can do the journey in 45 minutes or so. Trains generally go at quarter past and quarter to the hour during the day, slightly more irregularly in the evening. There is a stopping train (Finsbury Park, Stevenage etc.) that takes a little longer, but it still starts at King's Cross.

Looking up trains really isn't rocket science
SunderX
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you book early enough on the internet, you can take a National Express bus with a 'funfare' to Cambridge for a pound each way. Journey takes round 2h 15m on a good bus, runs pretty much every hour on peak times.
Sanyore
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Erm, I've been trying to find a ticket to go to Cambridge around Mid-september, and they all cost around 30 pounds each. I wouldn't be able to get it any cheaper now, would I?
Sanyore
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And yeah, a reply anytime soon would be much appreciated.
ukebert
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sanyore)
Erm, I've been trying to find a ticket to go to Cambridge around Mid-september, and they all cost around 30 pounds each. I wouldn't be able to get it any cheaper now, would I?
Try National Express East Coast and get an Advance single
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads