Help working out? Watch

aka tej
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I need some help devising a workout. I have a couple of problems however.

I am very skinny. At 6ft3' (1.85m) and only 65kg, my BMI is 19, which is quite underweight. I have a condition which prevents me from ptting on fat easily. This may sound like a good thing for some of you, but this means I can't burn off fat to release energy during a workout. If I have not recently consumed enough food to supply me with energy for a specific workout, I can become light-headed and dizzy, suffer from visual migraine (go temporarily blind) and eventually faint. This is not the desired outcome of any workout. Any suggested workout needs to take into account that I cannot burn off fat to cover an energy deficit. My estimated BMR is 2008.

The second problem is probably something you think I could do something about. I am not however, because I am a coward. I do have a local gym - but I know a couple of people who tend to hang around in there during the times I might use it. These people are not exactly enemies, but they're close. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, I will not put a foot in that gym until I have at least a respectable base to work up from. You could probably persuade me to go there and stick it out. I would, but I know I wouldn't return. Therefore, I am for the moment limited to stuff that can be done at home (press-ups etc). I also have access to some dumbells.

I do swim a lot. I think nothing of 5km and can easily swim 10km but any more is difficult becuase my pool keeps on having 'women only', 'seniors only' or 'juniors only' sessions. I have always preferred endurance to sprinting. I would rather walk 20 km (and have) than run 1km.

I would really appreciate any ideas.

btw, I am 18.
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Christ 65kg. You definatly need to put on some weight.

Whats this condition called? is it an actual diagnosed condition, or are you assuming/self diagnosing.

From the sound of it, you need to eat, masses and masses of carbs. Aim for 500g a day. Wholemeal pasta, rice, potatoes, porridge, wholemeal bread etc. This should give you more energy, if that doesnt work, up the carbs. Eat well more than 2000cals. shoot for 3000.

Everyone wants to get big(be a bodybuilder), but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weights. Get down to the gym, get down there. Learn good form for the exercises. What do you expect in a gym? Its all going to be massive 250lbs deadlifting 1000lbs? Its people trying to get fitter, put on weight, lose weight. Being embarssed of where you are now is not and should not be an excuse.

So go to the pool when they dont have the sessions. Walking 20km will do little for CV fitness.

If you want to gain weight do SS cardio as little as possible. Short HIIT sessions are the best.
bansheeee*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
omg i'm 5'8 and 60kg now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (250)
39.06%
No - but I will (44)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise