Can you devise me a workout? Watch

aka tej
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I need some help devising a workout. I have a couple of problems however.

I am very skinny. At 6ft3' (1.85m) and only 65kg, my BMI is 19, which is quite underweight. I have a condition which prevents me from ptting on fat easily. This may sound like a good thing for some of you, but this means I can't burn off fat to release energy during a workout. If I have not recently consumed enough food to supply me with energy for a specific workout, I can become light-headed and dizzy, suffer from visual migraine (go temporarily blind) and eventually faint. This is not the desired outcome of any workout. Any suggested workout needs to take into account that I cannot burn off fat to cover an energy deficit. My estimated BMR is 2008.

The second problem is probably something you think I could do something about. I am not however, because I am a coward. I do have a local gym - but I know a couple of people who tend to hang around in there during the times I might use it. These people are not exactly enemies, but they're close. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, I will not put a foot in that gym until I have at least a respectable base to work up from. You could probably persuade me to go there and stick it out. I would, but I know I wouldn't return. Therefore, I am for the moment limited to stuff that can be done at home (press-ups etc). I also have access to some dumbells.

I do swim a lot. I think nothing of 5km and can easily swim 10km but any more is difficult becuase my pool keeps on having 'women only', 'seniors only' or 'juniors only' sessions. I have always preferred endurance to sprinting. I would rather walk 20 km (and have) than run 1km.

I would really appreciate any ideas.

btw, I am 18.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by aka tej)
I am very skinny. At 6ft3' (1.85m) and only 65kg, my BMI is 19, which is quite underweight. I have a condition which prevents me from ptting on fat easily. This may sound like a good thing for some of you, but this means I can't burn off fat to release energy during a workout. If I have not recently consumed enough food to supply me with energy for a specific workout, I can become light-headed and dizzy, suffer from visual migraine (go temporarily blind) and eventually faint. This is not the desired outcome of any workout. Any suggested workout needs to take into account that I cannot burn off fat to cover an energy deficit. My estimated BMR is 2008.
What condition might that be? Surely if you can't metabolise fat, especially during exercise, fat would accumulate because you have no way of getting ride of it (other than liposuction), rather than making it hard for you to put on fat? The science sounds flawed.

As for not consuming sufficient energy before a workout, it is something everyone faces. It is a fact that if you are hypoglycaemic before exercise, the exercise can exacerbate such a condition, bringing on faintness, headaches, nausea, etc. Aim to consume complex carbs around 2 hours before a workout, if you're still having problems drink a sugary drink before and/or during and/or after, not rocket science.

The rest is pretty irrelevant. If you don't have the confidence to go to the gym that is your problem and something only you can rectify. Women's swimming sessions? Again, not a valid excuse, simply look on the noticeboard once in a while and plan when is free and when you can go, not difficult.

What do you want to gain? Increased muscle mass? Lose fat? Get stronger? Get fitter? Get more flexible? Get more powerful? The dietary and exercise advice varies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (535)
37.84%
No - but I will (110)
7.78%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.79%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (673)
47.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed