Cartmel or County or any others? Watch

minimo156
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey all

I've got my accommodation application form and I'm stuck in choosing between cartmel and county.

I want to stay somewhere quiet and want to share a kitchen with the smallest number of people possible. I don't drink and do not want crazy people living next to me who will leave the kitchen in a state.

Anyway please help me choose ... I will be very grateful and will give rep to all!

Thanks
Lizj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"Crazy people who will leave the kitchen in a state" = "undergraduates". I'm afraid every kitchen is always in a state, even in "quiet" Cartmel. It's a matter of degree. And who you share a flat with in First year is totally random.
Really, if you are planning to live on campus, you will have to cope with a bit of noise and a bit of mess wherever you are.
Unless you can afford one of the studio flats, where you would get your own kitchen area.
michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lizj)
"Crazy people who will leave the kitchen in a state" = "undergraduates". I'm afraid every kitchen is always in a state, even in "quiet" Cartmel. It's a matter of degree. And who you share a flat with in First year is totally random.
Really, if you are planning to live on campus, you will have to cope with a bit of noise and a bit of mess wherever you are.
Unless you can afford one of the studio flats, where you would get your own kitchen area.
In your accommodation application you can always states your specific preferences in a text-box at the end, in Cartmel College for instance there are a number of smaller blocks which have 4 people to a flat, rather than the normal 8 (and only 4 flats in total, rather than the normal 8). The College and Residences are usually pretty good at trying to accommodate your specific requirements, as long as you mention them with good reason
minimo156
Rep:
?
(Original post by michaelbenson)
In your accommodation application you can always states your specific preferences in a text-box at the end, in Cartmel College for instance there are a number of smaller blocks which have 4 people to a flat, rather than the normal 8 (and only 4 flats in total, rather than the normal 8). The College and Residences are usually pretty good at trying to accommodate your specific requirements, as long as you mention them with good reason
Good reason being.....? :confused:

Thanks anyway
Lizj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
o
(Original post by minimo156)
Good reason being.....? :confused:

Thanks anyway
Good reason being that you find noise and mess stressful and would like quieter accommodation. There are supposed to be "quiet areas" in colleges, but I have no idea where they are and have never found one. I think you can apply for quiet areas, but I don't know how the new online application system works.
I think Cartmel is none too popular this year, probs cos it costs a fortune, so if you choose it there is a reasonable chance that you will get what you ask for.
Teao the Cat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey all

I've got my accommodation application form and I'm stuck in choosing between cartmel and county.

I want to stay somewhere quiet and want to share a kitchen with the smallest number of people possible. I don't drink and do not want crazy people living next to me who will leave the kitchen in a state.

Anyway please help me choose ... I will be very grateful and will give rep to all!

Thanks
I don't drink either, btu I adore Bowland, and being in a larger flat (I share with 10) means that there is always someone around. Granted, noise at 3 in the morning can be infuriating, but luckily, a brass band in my room wouldn't wake me up. But less people does not necessarily mean more mess- I happen to have two people who are incapable of cleaning up after themselves in my flat- its them that makes the mess, apart from then we'd be perfectly fine. Why, oh, why am I living wiht them??? But bear in mind that a smaller flat does mean less liklihood of similar people being in it.
minimo156
Rep:
?
^ good point

How far (distance m/km) is cartmel from the management school?
zooeyj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
About a 5-10 min walk. Not even that if you live at the top of Cartmel. Can't you go in a single sex? quiet area? both tend to be quieter
Teao the Cat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^ good point

How far (distance m/km) is cartmel from the management school?
But as pointed out lots (I only know from on here, being an English student), most undergrad stuff is not held in the management school. However, even from south west, nothing is a great distance away. if you really can't hack it, you could always get a bike...
Lizj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Teao the Cat)
But as pointed out lots (I only know from on here, being an English student), most undergrad stuff is not held in the management school. However, even from south west, nothing is a great distance away. if you really can't hack it, you could always get a bike...
I have been known to get a bus from SW to the Underpass, in cases of extreme wetness/exhaustion/laziness!
But seriously, the distances on campus are not as bad as people make out. You can get anywhere in about 15 minutes. Even from the bottom of Cartmel.
minimo156
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lizj)
I have been known to get a bus from SW to the Underpass, in cases of extreme wetness/exhaustion/laziness!
But seriously, the distances on campus are not as bad as people make out. You can get anywhere in about 15 minutes. Even from the bottom of Cartmel.
lol... that is lazy. "extreme wetness" ... well I suppose it is the north west!

Thanks to all that replied. Even if you just replied for the rep :p:
RHShipper
Report 10 years ago
Hehehe, Countys closer to the center of things, I find that anyway. I've only voyaged to Cartmel about .... 5 times this year ^^;; The only college closer is probably Bowland xD

Extreme Wetness is a usual thing up here ^_^ 'specially in winter You'll soon be familiar with weaving along the spine XD Good luck choosing!
jamesjenkinsy
Report 10 years ago
Hey all

Thanks

Choose county, and choose Superior Standard (new building, with very few to a kitchen). Thats why i chose county superior standard. PS i don't drink either.
luke88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jamesjenkinsy)
PS i don't drink either.
Lots of people say that before they go uni.... and the exact opposite happens while they are here. You'll know what I mean when you get here... ;-p
jamesjenkinsy
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by luke88)
Lots of people say that before they go uni.... and the exact opposite happens while they are here. You'll know what I mean when you get here... ;-p
Speaking from experience lol?
luke88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jamesjenkinsy)
Speaking from experience lol?
No, I was drinking heavily before I came to uni and now it's just not the same because I've done it so many times. But some of my mates weren't that big drinkers before they came uni and now they go out every night, maybe it has something to do with my corrupt influence... :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 13 Jul '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (292)
37.63%
No - but I will (55)
7.09%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.07%

Watched Threads