Please can you help me with my Of Mice and Men homework?

Watch
Ruth_O
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In English we need to answer one of two questions in an essay style way but I have no idea how to answer either one of them

Question option - Research Herbert Hoover and discuss how his life is relevant to some of the themes in ‘Of Mice and Men’.
Support your ideas with quotes from the novel

Question option - Despite its success and popularity, the book has been challenged and banned a number of times.Discuss possible reasons for this including quotes and contextual information.

If you can help with either one of them then thanks so much!
KnOwLeDgAbLe
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ruth_O)
In English we need to answer one of two questions in an essay style way but I have no idea how to answer either one of them

Question option - Research Herbert Hoover and discuss how his life is relevant to some of the themes in ‘Of Mice and Men’.
Support your ideas with quotes from the novel

Question option - Despite its success and popularity, the book has been challenged and banned a number of times.Discuss possible reasons for this including quotes and contextual information.

If you can help with either one of them then thanks so much!
I don't know if I can be of great help but I did Of Mice And Men in Year 9. No idea who Herbert Hoover is. But basically talk about:

Herbert Hoover was the american president who wanted to diminish poverty and made statements like "We in America today are nearer to the final triumph over poverty than ever before in the history of any land. The poorhouse is vanishing from among us." however during his time in power there was a huge dip in poverty unlike before. The stock markets crashed and that started what is now known as the 'Great Depression'. The most sever economic crash America has ever experienced. how ironic. So basically, all Hoover did was increase poverty. Taking this back to Of Mice And Men, poverty is a theme that plays a large role in our story. Lennie and George's dream of owning a large farm with various animals portrays the people's desire for economic autonomy and empowerment. Something that was not present during the Great Depression. Despite all the indifference and discrimination between Crooks and Curley's Wife, everyone during the era of the Great Depression is held down by the pressure of poverty
Ruth_O
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by KnOwLeDgAbLe)
I don't know if I can be of great help but I did Of Mice And Men in Year 9. No idea who Herbert Hoover is. But basically talk about:

Herbert Hoover was the american president who wanted to diminish poverty and made statements like "We in America today are nearer to the final triumph over poverty than ever before in the history of any land. The poorhouse is vanishing from among us." however during his time in power there was a huge dip in poverty unlike before. The stock markets crashed and that started what is now known as the 'Great Depression'. The most sever economic crash America has ever experienced. how ironic. So basically, all Hoover did was increase poverty. Taking this back to Of Mice And Men, poverty is a theme that plays a large role in our story. Lennie and George's dream of owning a large farm with various animals portrays the people's desire for economic autonomy and empowerment. Something that was not present during the Great Depression. Despite all the indifference and discrimination between Crooks and Curley's Wife, everyone during the era of the Great Depression is held down by the pressure of poverty
Thanks so much!
KnOwLeDgAbLe
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ruth_O)
Thanks so much!
glad to be of assistance (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.89%
I need help researching courses (5)
6.94%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
41.67%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.78%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.17%

Watched Threads