IgorFierka
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, has anyone, or someone they know, come across work experience in quantity surveying? I am currently in year 13 and after finishing sixth form, I will apply for degree apprenticeships in quantity surveying. I would think that some work experience would give me an advantage in applying.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions on who to contact and how to structure my messages to companies in hope that they offer work experience in the summer?

Thank you.
AT06
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by IgorFierka)
Hello, has anyone, or someone they know, come across work experience in quantity surveying? I am currently in year 13 and after finishing sixth form, I will apply for degree apprenticeships in quantity surveying. I would think that some work experience would give me an advantage in applying.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions on who to contact and how to structure my messages to companies in hope that they offer work experience in the summer?

Thank you.
I’d advise getting in touch with the local office of a national house builder (Persimmon, Taylor Wimpey, Redrow, etc.)

Ring the office up, tell the receptionist that you are a student looking for work experience in the commercial department, and you’d just like 5 minutes on the phone with the Commercial Manager or Commercial Director to see if that would be possible.

Ringing up gains respect, as it’s a lot more daunting to do rather than just emailing. It’s also a lot more personal, and people are more likely to help you that way.
sarahmh_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, retail surveyor here!

Follow this link: https://www.ricsfirms.com/glossary/quantity-surveying/

Select, 'select surveying service' on the side and pick quantity surveyors.

RICS is the governing body of surveyors in the UK - you can find all the contact details for different firms in your area through there, there's bound to be a few that need an extra pair of hands!

Make sure you know why you're interested in quantity surveying and understand how you can provide value to them in your time there, it will make the process a lot smoother.

Morgan Sindall are currently hiring for summer placement schemes at the moment, open to all students.
https://ats.morgansindallgroup.com/V...&source=Indeed

Also, apprenticeships for next year are open now across the board - many students get through without having any experience whatsoever, as long as you show drive and passion for the industry and know about the company you're applying to and the wider sector, you'll be fine.

I hope this is helpful.
Bilzyboss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sarahmh_)
Hey, retail surveyor here!

Follow this link: https://www.ricsfirms.com/glossary/quantity-surveying/

Select, 'select surveying service' on the side and pick quantity surveyors.

RICS is the governing body of surveyors in the UK - you can find all the contact details for different firms in your area through there, there's bound to be a few that need an extra pair of hands!

Make sure you know why you're interested in quantity surveying and understand how you can provide value to them in your time there, it will make the process a lot smoother.

Morgan Sindall are currently hiring for summer placement schemes at the moment, open to all students.
https://ats.morgansindallgroup.com/V...&source=Indeed

Also, apprenticeships for next year are open now across the board - many students get through without having any experience whatsoever, as long as you show drive and passion for the industry and know about the company you're applying to and the wider sector, you'll be fine.

I hope this is helpful.
Thanks for the advice, I am also on the lookout for QS apprenticeships.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (76)
17.84%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.87%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.56%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.68%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.05%

Watched Threads