High Street Bank Grad scheme - next seps? Watch

Malia
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hello everyone..

I hope everybody's fine. I need some advice please. I did an MBA and have luckily landed a job on a grad scheme on the commercial banking side of one of the leading high street banks. Link below:

http://www.personal.barclays.co.uk/B...6874&menu=4264

So far so good except this is a commercial relationship building and sales role and I have ALWAYS set my heart on doing a professional qualification of some sort in finance/accountancy/banking.

Now the CIMA qualification from which I have been exempted 6 exams to start with would complement my management degree and is supposed to pay well. However my grad scheme does not offer the support for practical experinece which is essential to gain the qualification.

Since I am working in a bank now, perhaps I should get a solid banking qualification whilst working in the banking environment. What qualification could that be? What rae the best banking qualifications? I have read the investment banking intro thread but I do not understand the difference between my job and investment banking? Will i justbe selling mortgages to businesses? I have been told we will do some kind of accredited course to do with risk perhaps but it will not be a full blown professional qualification i am seeking.

So the question is, and im sorry to complicate things, what qualification should i do and how will i get the experience that is essential for professional qualifications?
  • Cima with exemptions but no organisation to support it until i actually find one whether or not in the same bank i have no idea. Could i get into the Big 4 later?
  • OR an investment banking qualification with relevant experience if there is any to be found in my grad scheme. What is my job anyways , does it constitute investment banking or is investment banking a different kettle of fish altogether.

I am really grateful to anyone who reads my question and gives me their comments or advice. I really appreciate it.

Good luck with your own jobs/interviews!!

Malia
Malia
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Will nobody answer? If is the wrong forum please advise me whee to post but PLEASE DONT IGNORE ME..
Thank you
perpetual
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
CFA - Chartered Financial Adviser is the usual IB/Hedge Fund qualification.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads