welcome letter Watch

Meuse
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hey,

i am holding an unconditional offer for economics at ucl but apart from the ucas infos, i have not received much information. i would have expected some kind of formal welcome letter, that tells me when and where to be in september or what to read until it starts. and do i have to send a copy of my examination results (which i stated when applying) to the uni?

thanks for your help!
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I suspect you will get something soon. I received a letter about a week ago about sending my examination certificates and with a reading list.

However, we apparently won't hear any real detail on where to go in September/accommodation/freshers week etc until much nearer the time. In the case of accommodation, probably sometime in August. In the case of enrolment information, I've heard that it could be early September. It's worth remembering that UK students who have taken their A-levels this year do not receive their results until mid-August, that's why the timing is arranged this way. A little annoying for those of us with unconditional offers but such is life!
strangelybeautiful
Report 10 years ago
did they send you an acceptance letter and a student package as well? i'm wondering when they'll be sending those out though, i haven't received mine yet, even though i'm holding an unconditional as well.
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by strangelybeautiful)
did they send you an acceptance letter and a student package as well? i'm wondering when they'll be sending those out though, i haven't received mine yet, even though i'm holding an unconditional as well.
They sent me a formal letter saying that it should be good enough for banks (or UK diplomatic missions if I were an international student, which I'm not) etc, so I suppose that would be a formal acceptance letter from UCL. However, I received a letter directly from UCL a few weeks after my interview telling me I was successful and I think most UK banks expect you to use UCAS' AS12 letter as an acceptance letter. Sorry, that's a confused reply! But I guess there is no fixed definition of an acceptance letter!!

Student package? What do you mean by that? The stuff from the union on freshers week and from the university on how we go about enrolment? If so, no. I don't think we get that until much nearer the time.

I did receive, with the letter I mentioned above, a copy of a booklet called "Joining UCL" (which is also on the UCL website as PDF) and the reading lists for my departments (2 as I'm doing joint honours). There was also a letter requesting that I verify my qualifications (which I shall do in person tomorrow, as I happen to have a spare hour or two and will be in London anyway - and my A-level certs would be a pain to replace if the Royal Mail lost them).

What will you be studying at UCL?
strangelybeautiful
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mumintroll)
They sent me a formal letter saying that it should be good enough for banks (or UK diplomatic missions if I were an international student, which I'm not) etc, so I suppose that would be a formal acceptance letter from UCL. However, I received a letter directly from UCL a few weeks after my interview telling me I was successful and I think most UK banks expect you to use UCAS' AS12 letter as an acceptance letter. Sorry, that's a confused reply! But I guess there is no fixed definition of an acceptance letter!!

Student package? What do you mean by that? The stuff from the union on freshers week and from the university on how we go about enrolment? If so, no. I don't think we get that until much nearer the time.

I did receive, with the letter I mentioned above, a copy of a booklet called "Joining UCL" (which is also on the UCL website as PDF) and the reading lists for my departments (2 as I'm doing joint honours). There was also a letter requesting that I verify my qualifications (which I shall do in person tomorrow, as I happen to have a spare hour or two and will be in London anyway - and my A-level certs would be a pain to replace if the Royal Mail lost them).

What will you be studying at UCL?
oh i've only got the UCAS AS12 letter. i'm an international student, so just a bit concerned about when they'll be sending out the formal letter, cos of visa apps! i've verified my qualifications already, so all i need now is what you have received.. i hope it comes soon though! they only required certified true copies for mine though.

so all the enrolment procedures, etc will come later? hmm to calculate how much you'll need for tuition, accommodation and personal expenses for visa or for banks, did you rely on anything ucl sent you through the mail, or you did the calculations based on rough estimations from the ucl website?

i'll be reading law. how about yourself?
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh i've only got the UCAS AS12 letter. i'm an international student, so just a bit concerned about when they'll be sending out the formal letter, cos of visa apps! i've verified my qualifications already, so all i need now is what you have received.. i hope it comes soon though! they only required certified true copies for mine though.

so all the enrolment procedures, etc will come later? hmm to calculate how much you'll need for tuition, accommodation and personal expenses for visa or for banks, did you rely on anything ucl sent you through the mail, or you did the calculations based on rough estimations from the ucl website?

i'll be reading law. how about yourself?
I see. The letter and stuff I received came from the faculty, rather than department, so perhaps the faculty to which the law department belongs has not yet sent out their equivalent mailing. I will be studying Scandinavian Studies and History.

I'm an EU citizen and home student so I don't really know what you have to do to get a UK visa, sorry. Could you not contact the Law admissions staff to ask for proof? I'm sure they'd be helpful if you're holding an unconditional and explain you need to apply for a visa. As for banks, they seem to happily accept the UCAS AS12 letter for at least home students.

I've heard that enrolment procedures, info on freshers week etc get sent out in late August/early September. It's a bit annoying having to wait that long, as it would be cool to be able to read it already...but, such is life!
strangelybeautiful
Report 10 years ago
ahh ok, thanks for the advice! i did visit london, hence ucl, about a week ago, and the law dept said they'd be sending out the mail in a few weeks time, booo and then i got worried cos a friend of mine received hers from lse law dept.

visa apps are frustrating.

scandinivian studies is cool, plus the class size is small! maybe i'll sneak in and sit in for some lessons for fun!
Lacks Organisation
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
I remember when I was applying to UCL I found that formal communication with them took a long time. My offer turned unconditional AGES before I got a formal letter, it's been the same with every letter I've received from them. Also, as someone else has said, banks in the UK consider the UCAS AS12 from to be the only acceptable "acceptance letter" when opening a student account-at least my bank (lloyds TSB) did and everyone else I know found the same with theirs. They really do get quite arsey about it and will simply refuse any other proof of a confirmed place.
cheese_fondue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it always takes about 4 weeks for letters from UCL to arrive where i live (netherlands). always makes me jittery in case i'm missing some deadlines while the letters are on their way...
strangelybeautiful
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cheese_fondue)
it always takes about 4 weeks for letters from UCL to arrive where i live (netherlands). always makes me jittery in case i'm missing some deadlines while the letters are on their way...
oh that's really nerve-wrecking! well good on you that you've managed to cope.
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's crazy, 4 weeks to NL? I lived in Sweden until last year, and post from the UK reached me in typically 2 days - sometimes 3 but sometimes even the day after it was posted! Something must have seriously gone wrong with Royal Mail since then. Although, having said that, I think it differs a lot around the country - perhaps it is just very bad in London.

I hope it improves for you. 4 weeks is a long delay for important stuff like accommodation offers etc.
cheese_fondue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
funny thing is, the UCL letters even come from france! some strange postage system thing going on... i just managed to accept my offer on time, but with a registered letter just in case.
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That is odd. Maybe they use some kind of cheaper mass mail out via France option for their international post, or maybe they use the letter in a bottle method - just drop it in the Thames and hope it washes up in the right country!
strangelybeautiful
Report 10 years ago
funny thing is, the UCL letters even come from france! some strange postage system thing going on... i just managed to accept my offer on time, but with a registered letter just in case.
yeah i know what you mean, my postage from ucl comes from malmo? anyway, i thought you don't have to send back the reply slip for ucl, cos they immediately assume you're joining them?
cheese_fondue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah i know what you mean, my postage from ucl comes from malmo? anyway, i thought you don't have to send back the reply slip for ucl, cos they immediately assume you're joining them?
no, i had 4 weeks to accept the conditional offer (postgrad). i just managed in time ;-)
edd.h
Report 10 years ago
Hi guys. I've got an unconditional offer (accepted) and received my UCAS AS12 and halls stuff through, but have been hearing about lots of other unconditionals having to send in or (if they're lucky enough to be fairly local) hand in their A-level certificates.
The only letters I've got from UCL or the geography department are the UCAS AS12 and the hall offer, so just wondering if any other geographers have had a formal "welcome pack" or know if we have to hand our A-level certificates in. I'll call them up tomorrow and post again if they have an answer.

Cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads