Eu Army - Do We Need One? Watch

CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I think that would be cool All countries in the EU contribute soldiers, aircrafts etc etc. And we form a HUGE army! What do you all 'fink? If you say no, give a reason please.

*Puts on Rambo headband & and takes out toy machine gun*
tucker672
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No.

Reason1: Germany
Reason2: Step towards the United States of Europe
CHAMON
Rep:
?
(Original post by tucker672)
No.

Expand?
_jackofdiamonds
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No we don't. There is no reason the EU needs an army.
MuseValheru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You might see it as cool but there are far to many political complications involved. Remember that NATO already exists as does the UN. Both of these organisations aim to act as a force for good across the world. There is no need for an EU army.

I agree that it would be a step towards the United States of Europe but that far to deep for me to post anything without writing a small novel.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No.

Reason2: Step towards the United States of Europe
Germany aren't the threat they used to be you know. A United States of Europe wouldn't be so bad, we all want the same things as a collective group at the end of the day and the bigger you are the more powerful you are and the more you get.
2PointZero
Report 10 years ago
No mot of the EU countries are pussies anyway and hardly ever do ****.
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MuseValheru)
I agree that it would be a step towards the United States of Europe but that far to deep for me to post anything without writing a small novel.
Same
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CHAMON)
Expand?
Can they be trusted

Who started the two world wars?

:mad:

Grant
DeSiFiEd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm disgusted to think Armies and war excite you, a bit too much COD4?

Army of Europe = Army of the (upcoming and accepted) North American Union = Army of Asia = Army of the United Nations.

Thats a **** load of conflicting regions.

How can you be trying to disarm the streets, by creating new Armies? What are their purpose? US and UK Armies are ****ing over the Middle-East...over what exactly?...LIES.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. We have UN peace keepers.
CHAMON
Rep:
?
Miliband backs strong EU military force· Speech supports French proposal on intervention
· Hostility to union is on the rise, says foreign secretary
Patrick Wintour, political editor The Guardian, Wednesday July 2, 2008 Article historyEurope must develop its military capabilities along the lines proposed by the EU's French presidency if it is not always to wait for America and Nato to be ready to intervene, David Miliband, the foreign secretary, will say today.

In a speech reflecting on Ireland's no vote in last month's referendum on the Lisbon treaty, he will concede that the "EU lacks a clear mission" and the spreading hostility towards it reflects exasperation with seven years of institutional debate.

But in a controversial passage cleared by Downing Street, Miliband will take on the eurosceptics over defence saying he supports the French president, Nicolas Sarkozy's, proposals on EU defence. Sarkozy has argued for a build-up in European military capability, including EU troops going into conflict zones

The Guardian, Wednesday July 2, 2008
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
A United States of Europe wouldn't be so bad, we all want the same things as a collective group at the end of the day and the bigger you are the more powerful you are and the more you get.
Language differences, culture differences, political differences, economic differences.

The united states of Europe wouldnt even be powerful there would be far to many arguments.

Its not like America, they all speak the same language there cultures are very similar and so is there econmics sytem.

Grant
Varsity
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is totally no reason for an EU Military.

My major problems with the idea are

1) Control
There will simply be too many people with too many voices, just take a look at Afghanistan and you can see how hard it is to get people to fight together.

2) Equipment
Starting an EU Army would require everyone to start standardizing their equipment, and you can bet your bottom dollar that will mean we all end up buying French!

3) Doctrine
The different nations of Europe all conduct wars in different ways, and many are at very different levels of training and equipment.

I just can’t see any advantages and I can see loads of problems!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Language differences, culture differences, political differences, economic differences.

The united states of Europe wouldnt even be powerful there would be far to many arguments.

Its not like America, they all speak the same language there cultures are very similar and so is there econmics sytem.

Grant
Language is the main barrier, and could no doubt could be overcome in the interests of its citizens. If we were a fully unified set of states as it were we would be more powerful than America which can only be a good thing.
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CHAMON)
Miliband backs strong EU military force· Speech supports French proposal on intervention
· Hostility to union is on the rise, says foreign secretary
Patrick Wintour, political editor The Guardian, Wednesday July 2, 2008 Article historyEurope must develop its military capabilities along the lines proposed by the EU's French presidency if it is not always to wait for America and Nato to be ready to intervene, David Miliband, the foreign secretary, will say today.

In a speech reflecting on Ireland's no vote in last month's referendum on the Lisbon treaty, he will concede that the "EU lacks a clear mission" and the spreading hostility towards it reflects exasperation with seven years of institutional debate.

But in a controversial passage cleared by Downing Street, Miliband will take on the eurosceptics over defence saying he supports the French president, Nicolas Sarkozy's, proposals on EU defence. Sarkozy has argued for a build-up in European military capability, including EU troops going into conflict zones

The Guardian, Wednesday July 2, 2008
I HATE LABOUR AND THE EU. I only agree with free trade. Who the f0ck do the EU think they are, :mad: it makes me so angry.

Grant
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
Language is the main barrier, and could no doubt quite be overcome in the interests of its citizens. If we were a fully unified set of states as it were we would be more powerful than America which can only be a good thing.
Agreed but we can't exactly impose english on evryone.

Not that we already haven't :P:
_jackofdiamonds
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ireland and Sweden have a policy of neutrality. UK follows American policy. Germany doesn't intervene because of you-know-what. It will be a shambles.

Sarkozy wants to be the next Napoleon. Every time he speaks of the EU it's with some delusion of grandeur.
CHAMON
Rep:
?
Can they be trusted

Who started the two world wars?

:mad:

Grant
Of course they can! That's like saying should Britsh be allowed to have an army incase they decide to regain the empire again! Or the Turks and so on.

We all have a past (the countries) it's very colourful if you take a look at it.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by _jackofdiamonds)
Sarkozy wants to be the next Napoleon. Every time he speaks of the EU it's with some delusion of grandeur.
Why is every French leader with short man syndrome a war mongerer lol. Even his plans for the army are a carbon copy of Napoleons earlier strategies, being as we have already over worked that model and everyone knows Clausewitz's total war model beats it hands down it would be a stupid strategy for us to take.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed