London on saturday Watch

Harvey121
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Heading to london on saturday.

We're going by national express and get their around 11 dropped off at victoria.

Was thinking of walking most of it is that recommended?

things we want to do really are...

walk past the palace.
London eye (not go on it)
sightsee big ben, westminister
shopping...
places like leicester square, piccadilly etc.
Regent street
harrods.
oxford street
then camden market?? (how would we get their?)
then back to victoria station

Any idea's on the best route???
my:favorite:things...
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
last time i went to london for 12 hours i saw:
big ben/wesminster, the palace, the eye, regent/oxford street/carnaby street, leicester square.
It was the day before the marathon and me and my friends walked about the last 2 miles of the marathon route (covered- palace, eye, westminster, cleopatras needle) , not to mention all the way from leicester sq to selfridges (leis, regents, carnaby, oxford st). And we did actually have tube day passes which we used in the middle.
Harrods and camden are quite out of the way of the other things you want to see.

If you want to see Harrods buy tube tickets! Your feet will be in so much pain otherwise!
FTC199
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
harrods is really near picadilly, victoria is a good place to be dropped off as it's only a short walk to the houses of parliament/big ben/the eye/westminster, also in a slightly different direction is buckingham palace, picadilly, oxford street, shopping. tbh i thought camden market wasnt worth it when i went, although paying £5.30 for an off peak (after 9am) travel card for the day will be well worth it i think as it takes you throughout zones 1 and 2, which covers everything you have listed
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
After reaching victoria coach station, walk upto victoria bus station (10min) and get the 73 bendy bus towards oxford street.

-get of at oxford street for shopping, walking along you'll get to regent street which is at cross-rds from oxford street.
-carry on walking regent street south to get to picadilly st, if you get the 38 bendy bus from here or some other you can make it to leicester sq
-take the underground from leicester sq to camden which is up north
- leave westminster till last as its central london (take the tube to westminster) to see Big Ben and walk the distance (5min) across bridge to London Eye
-from central london, get back on tube/bus (if bus; from kings cross to oxford street and change to 73 heading to victoria), arrive at victoria bus station in time for a 10 min walk to the coach station.
ColdVein
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by my[s)
favorite[/s]things...]Harrods and camden are quite out of the way of the other things you want to see.
:ditto: If you find yourself pushed for time (to fit everything in) I would probably cut one or both of these two as (in my opinion) they arent that interesting (compared with some of the other sights and attractions in London) and would result in more time on the tube/bus and less time exploring
Mutiny!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Harvey121)
walk past the palace.
London eye (not go on it)
sightsee big ben, westminister
shopping...
places like leicester square, piccadilly etc.
Regent street
harrods.
oxford street
then camden market?? (how would we get their?)
then back to victoria station

Any idea's on the best route???
If you wanted to fit all of that in to a day you'd be best buying a travelcard, which lets you access the underground. The underground in itself is an experience (a good one if you've been on the NYC subway in my opinion). It'll cost you no more than £10 if you are already in London i expect.

If you go down that route, you'd simply need to hop on to an underground train at Victoria rail station and work your way to each of the sights you want to see. I would advise against going to Oxford Circus tube station (on Oxford Street) on a Saturday, but if you have to just make sure you are aware it will be very very busy. I'll give you a brief summary of what stations to go to for each sight but only some of these do i have a lot of experience with...

London Eye/Big Ben - Westminster will suffice for those
Shopping=Oxford Street - I'd advise Bond Street or Tottenham Court Road (both nearby) but you can just go to Oxford Circus if it's easier
Leicester Square - That'd be Leicester Square station
Picadilly/Regent Street - I'd go to Picadilly Circus from what i can see (haven't specifically tried to get there before)
Camden market - Camden Town station, will be quite clear what way to go. Expect to be offered drugs as you leave the station :p: If there's some sort of trouble getting there or back, you could go to Mornington Crescent station instead but it's a bit of a trek
Buckingham Palace - You can walk there from Victoria tube station quite easily
Harrods - Use Knightsbridge tube by the looks of it

Erm yeah.. It'd probably be best for you to familiarise yourself with how the underground works using the maps here. Also i'd use that site to check if there are any planned closures. Would recommend planning what order to do everything so that you don't go back and forth too much. Oh yeah, www.londontown.com would be worth looking at also.

Alternatively, plan a way of walking to everything and back. It is perfectly possible as a lot of these things are central but i enjoy the underground personally and it can make life easier.. Sometimes. As others have said it's only really Harrods and Camden that are out of the way.
FTC199
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mutiny!)
If you wanted to fit all of that in to a day you'd be best buying a travelcard, which lets you access the underground. The underground in itself is an experience (a good one if you've been on the NYC subway in my opinion). It'll cost you no more than £10 if you are already in London i expect.
it is £5.30 for zones 1 and 2 (so if you use the tube twice you have made a saving)
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
Born in London, raised in London, went to uni in London... that is me.

You arrive at Victoria. Cool. Don't get your travelcard there - it'll take a little while since Victoria is packed full of people - especially tourists, who have come from Gatwick or other places and it's a bit slower getting a ticket there than elsewhere (by a couple minutes, but what the hell, I'll save you those couple minutes).

Have your google maps handy before you come by the way. Walk to Buckingham Palace, it is nearby. Have a look, it's actually kind of dull... people in London never go. Just the tourists. Walk from there up and through Green Park (that time of the morning, it'll be empty).

You turn right from there and will pass the Ritz, to Piccadilly Circus. You'll also pass Fortnum and Mason on your right and on the left, you'll pass the Burlington Arcade (where there is a Laduree - for original macaroons, best in the world, from Paris) and La Maison du Chocolate (my second favourite chocolates in the world).

You're at Piccadilly Circus with Eros statue in front of you and the big but unexciting neon billboards to your left and up (mostly) above the Burger King. From here, you have two choices:

1) Go left to Regent Street and up, to Oxford Circus and so Oxford Street. If you do this, it is then left to Selfridges. Along the way you pass John Lewis/Debenhams/House of Fraser. Just in front will be Nike Town and Topshop. I don't really know what you're looking for. If you double back about 100m from Selfridges, you're on Bond Street. Down here for Gucci/Prada/De Beers/Mulberry/anything high priced and ultra luxury. When you walk down Bond Street, you'll be back at Green Park station.

2) Go straight ahead from Piccadilly Circus, it's pretty slow to walk across (most 'real' London people just use the tunnels with the tube stop or leg it across the traffic). Leicester Square is only about 250m from Piccadilly Circus. Lots of cinemas (at high price) and very little else in there. Keep going forward (refer to maps or look for signs) to walk to Covent Garden.

Smartly enough, Covent Garden and Green Park are on the same tube line. So you can do one route first, the other later. I'd prefer to hit the shops first - before they pack out with any lunchtime shoppers/more tourists.

London Eye is by Waterloo station and from there, there's the South Bank to walk down (which isn't so bad on the weekend, some street performers along the way, generally the Thames to look down). Walk down far enough and you get to London Bridge to see Tower Bridge, the City (from over the river, the financial heartland of Europe) and so forth.

Otherwise, get back to Waterloo.

Now, Camden Market is a little bit out of the way. You go to Camden Town tube stop and it's actually pretty lame in my opinion. Especially since large parts of it are not there anymore due to a fire a few months back. This is on the Northern Line (Waterloo is on it, about 25 minute journey though).

Harrods is by Knightsbridge (their sale incidentally started on Monday so it's rammed in there right now). Piccadilly Line.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From oxford street, there are several busses which goto Knightsbridge (harrods) and from the other end of oxford street (tottenham court rd) you can get the 134 bus to camden, wont take more than 10-12 mins
Harvey121
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Cheers guys.

Did all of it in the day.

Underground for most of it, day pass sorted us out =)

Was a very enjoyable day. =)

And camden market was good too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.75%
No - but I will (13)
4.5%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (144)
49.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed