Do you really have to enjoy your A Level subjects? Watch

imaccstressed
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
People always advise to pick subjects that they genuinely have a passion for and really enjoy for a levels given that a levels are deemed as incredibly difficult. What if you need certain subjects to get onto a certain course at uni? Is the workload and exams at a levels that bad/difficult that you have to pick subjects you enjoy? What if you don't enjoy your subjects; is it still possible to get high grades at a level?
Last edited by imaccstressed; 4 weeks ago
stillcrying
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think enjoying them is only the base for doing well because you might enjoy a subject but not perform well being assessed on it. Obviously don't pick a subject you despise however if you have a certain career path you want to follow in the future that requires a specific subject, I subject taking it. BUT you have to be honest with yourself that you will be WILLING to work at the subject if you struggle with it. Everything comes with practice and that's what you need to succeed in exams, alongside some passion.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I didn't enjoy mine (except English) and the result was I was never there but in the pub instead
Kali.kb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I actually went into A Levels doing English Lit, Media and Business Studies. I chose English Lit because I loved it at GCSE, got a 9 and thought i was going to go off to uni to study English and become a English Lit teacher. I chose media because it looked fun and like an easy pass, and Business because I did it at GCSE and loved it but then I dropped it for a different subject and regretted it.

Now fast forward one month into A Levels and I loved my other subjects, but I found that with media I found it way too easy. My lessons were two hours and I would always finish the work in one hour and sleep for the other hour. As a result, I ended up going to my head of sixth form and changing to Politics (something that I always used to say I'd never study when it came to looking at sixth form) because it seemed more challenging and I'm a very academic person who likes to be challenged.

Tbh it was the best decision I made, it always kept me on my toes and i grew to love it more than English Lit. Whilst i actually ended up hating English Lit as the way it was taught was really bad in my school and the teachers didn't have the same passion as my GCSE teachers did.

Fast forward to August 2019 and I ended up leaving with A*AB with the A* in Business (favourite subject), A in Politics (2nd favourite subject) and a B in English Lit (I actually hate the subject now and would rather choke than do it at uni.) So it goes to show that:

(A) Just because you initially love a subject, doesn't mean you may end up loving it towards the end
(B) However, you're more likely to do better in a subject if you like it and you're invested in it.

But if you know what you want to do at uni: i
e. Medicine, then you'll have to do subjects that line up with it.

If you know you're not going to go into a career that has an emphasis on certain subjects then do what the hell you want. A Level is a stressful 2 years and you don't want to make it worse by doing subjects you don't like
imaccstressed
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kali.kb)
I actually went into A Levels doing English Lit, Media and Business Studies. I chose English Lit because I loved it at GCSE, got a 9 and thought i was going to go off to uni to study English and become a English Lit teacher. I chose media because it looked fun and like an easy pass, and Business because I did it at GCSE and loved it but then I dropped it for a different subject and regretted it.

Now fast forward one month into A Levels and I loved my other subjects, but I found that with media I found it way too easy. My lessons were two hours and I would always finish the work in one hour and sleep for the other hour. As a result, I ended up going to my head of sixth form and changing to Politics (something that I always used to say I'd never study when it came to looking at sixth form) because it seemed more challenging and I'm a very academic person who likes to be challenged.

Tbh it was the best decision I made, it always kept me on my toes and i grew to love it more than English Lit. Whilst i actually ended up hating English Lit as the way it was taught was really bad in my school and the teachers didn't have the same passion as my GCSE teachers did.

Fast forward to August 2019 and I ended up leaving with A*AB with the A* in Business (favourite subject), A in Politics (2nd favourite subject) and a B in English Lit (I actually hate the subject now and would rather choke than do it at uni.) So it goes to show that:

(A) Just because you initially love a subject, doesn't mean you may end up loving it towards the end
(B) However, you're more likely to do better in a subject if you like it and you're invested in it.

But if you know what you want to do at uni: i
e. Medicine, then you'll have to do subjects that line up with it.

If you know you're not going to go into a career that has an emphasis on certain subjects then do what the hell you want. A Level is a stressful 2 years and you don't want to make it worse by doing subjects you don't like
That's so interesting to hear. What did you end up studying at uni if you don't mind me asking? Also I don't know about a career so would choosing subjects I like be better or subjects that would be secure (if you know what I mean, like subjects for Medicine)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (57)
18.94%
Unconditional if firmed (24)
7.97%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.66%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (9)
2.99%
No unconditional offers (209)
69.44%

Watched Threads