The Student Room Group

Moving into Private halls after a month

I'm a second year student and am currently living at home, i've made the decision to move out as i didn't make any friends in my first year due to mental health issues and relied on my friends at home, my friends at home have all started moving away and stuff like that so I'm feeling lonely

I've been going to societies(3 of them) for a month now and have met some friends but always feel second best to their flatmates, which is fair enough as they spend a lot more time together and do a lot of stuff together

I've found a place I really like, the accommodation is lovely and the kitchen was tidy but had plenty of homely stuff that made it seem like everyone got on (possibly friends from last year as the accommodation told me they were second year students), do you think I should move in? I like the idea of moving in with other second years and the flat is the nicest i've seen so far but i'm afraid moving into an already established group isn't a great idea.
Original post by StrangeSupernova
I'm a second year student and am currently living at home, i've made the decision to move out as i didn't make any friends in my first year due to mental health issues and relied on my friends at home, my friends at home have all started moving away and stuff like that so I'm feeling lonely

I've been going to societies(3 of them) for a month now and have met some friends but always feel second best to their flatmates, which is fair enough as they spend a lot more time together and do a lot of stuff together

I've found a place I really like, the accommodation is lovely and the kitchen was tidy but had plenty of homely stuff that made it seem like everyone got on (possibly friends from last year as the accommodation told me they were second year students), do you think I should move in? I like the idea of moving in with other second years and the flat is the nicest i've seen so far but i'm afraid moving into an already established group isn't a great idea.

You M or F?
What is their mix of M/F?
Is is private or uni hall?
Did they know each other?
Any chance you can meet one or two and buy them lunch?
They may just people to live with and far from best friends. Your expectations should be realistic.
If its a pre existing group then you may find it difficult to break in depending on your skills.
They may or may not do stuff together.
You need to talk to them.
How large is the flat? Interview each other if they agree. If they arent keen or you seem a bit too needy it might not work. Once you sign the contract you are bound for the remaining 48 weeks or however many are left. There are two sides to flats.
Original post by 999tigger
You M or F?
What is their mix of M/F?
Is is private or uni hall?
Did they know each other?
Any chance you can meet one or two and buy them lunch?
They may just people to live with and far from best friends. Your expectations should be realistic.
If its a pre existing group then you may find it difficult to break in depending on your skills.
They may or may not do stuff together.
You need to talk to them.
How large is the flat? Interview each other if they agree. If they arent keen or you seem a bit too needy it might not work. Once you sign the contract you are bound for the remaining 48 weeks or however many are left. There are two sides to flats.

I’m M, the flat is a mix, I don’t think it’s possible to contact them because I’m booking with a company that owns the halls and they won’t want to give me their information, all I know is that they’re second and third years and that they may know each other because of the photos posted on the walls in the common area of the flat, it looks to be mainly the same group of people on nights out and the like, something a group of friends might put up there is they know each other. That’s all I really know, i’m pretty much just guessing, and I think generally i’m a likeable guy, I’ve got plenty of hobbies and interests, I can hold a conversation, I don’t mind putting myself out there, I had tons of friends in college just haven’t made many at uni yet
Hey.

No different to moving into student accommodation where they pick your flatmates, really, except you'll have a much larger - more sizable place, and share a couple more facilities.

If you're keen on it, why not?
Joshua :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest