Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I have offers from both Liverpool and Manchester for law. I live in Manchester and I love the city and I know it’s the better uni so to speak but if I stayed in Manchester, I wouldn’t be able to move out (strict parents). I really want to have a good time at uni and make friends so I don’t know what to do.... my plan is to do my placement year in Manchester, and do a masters at Manchester.

Will I be hurting my future by going to the university of Liverpool instead? I don’t want to risk my future for a few years of fun, but then again I don’t want to be miserable throughout my entire university experience
Jaiymes
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As you know, Manchester is a very very good university, but also is Liverpool! Both are Russel groups and Liverpool uni is very nice and I the teaching is still great. The student life in Liverpool is probably up there with one of the best, with nights out and events. It’s a great city to live in and it’s hard not to enjoy living there. What I would reccomend however is having a sit down with your parents and letting them know you need to live your own life and try live in Manchester while studying your degree rather than living at home. If you really aren’t allowed to move out in Manchester then I would say go to Liverpool, but if you can go to Manchester
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have offers from both Liverpool and Manchester for law. I live in Manchester and I love the city and I know it’s the better uni so to speak but if I stayed in Manchester, I wouldn’t be able to move out (strict parents). I really want to have a good time at uni and make friends so I don’t know what to do.... my plan is to do my placement year in Manchester, and do a masters at Manchester.

Will I be hurting my future by going to the university of Liverpool instead? I don’t want to risk my future for a few years of fun, but then again I don’t want to be miserable throughout my entire university experience
How come your parents will allow you to move out to go to uni in Liverpool but will not allow you to move out to go to uni in Manchester? If it's a financial consideration it makes sense but otherwise, it doesn't
cccacademicx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
How come your parents will allow you to move out to go to uni in Liverpool but will not allow you to move out to go to uni in Manchester? If it's a financial consideration it makes sense but otherwise, it doesn't
Because in manchester I have "no reason to move out" as the whole wanting to live the university experience and go out isnt even a reason i can use with them. Whereas in liverpool i have to move out to be there. I havent told them about my manchester offer yet, and they wont make me go to manchester met when liverpool is drastically better. Hope that makes sense, i have ethnic parents its hard to explain
Kali.kb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oh I had this issue with my parents, but i ended up not telling them anything about UCAS. Tbh Liverpool is not as good as Manchester, but it wont harm you if you went there. Also, if you're planning on doing a masters then you should be fine
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by cccacademicx)
Because in manchester I have "no reason to move out" as the whole wanting to live the university experience and go out isnt even a reason i can use with them. Whereas in liverpool i have to move out to be there. I havent told them about my manchester offer yet, and they wont make me go to manchester met when liverpool is drastically better. Hope that makes sense, i have ethnic parents its hard to explain
Well in that case, what Jaiymes said, you won't be hurting your future by going to Liverpool so do what you want to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (363)
66.97%
No (179)
33.03%

Watched Threads