The Student Room Group

Oxford TSA 2020 official thread!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How is everyone preparing with less than a week left? I've completed all the past papers but doing them twice seems pointless as I remember the correct answers.
Hi! I'm doing the TSA for chemistry, so only doing section 1. I want to score 7-ish, but my scores on papers vary from 60-70 - hoping I get the upper end of that! Also, section 2 looks like an absolute nightmare (especially since you can't really mark it yourself and see how you do!) Good luck to you all, and if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it hahaha
Original post by Zahranasid

A4CBACEC-E889-419D-A38F-C3F4CEC8A593.jpeg

Ok so for this one, it's not difficult if you think of it as the more popular version "All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares" (maybe it's because I'm a math person but the way I would go about it is to convert every answer to this same form and compare). In this case, we have the same parallel arguments:

Q: (All trees have leaves) -> All squares are rectangles . (That oak is a tree)-> That shape is a square. (Therefore, it has leaves)-> Therefore, it is a rectangle.

The goal is to essentially create a parallel argument (logically equivalent statement) using the same words for each of the answers to make things easier. All this talk about leaves and trees is designed to make you confused, so this will make it more clear. It doesn't take long to do it in your head.

A: All squares are rectangles.That thing is a square. Therefore, it has to be a rectangle. (Correct)
B: All squares are rectangles. That thing is a rectangle. Therefore, it is a square. (Wrong, because we can't assume that all rectangles are squares. Not only is this not the answer, it is flawed reasoning)
C: All squares are rectangles. That rectangle is pink. therefore, all squares are pink rectangles. (Obviously wrong)
D: All squares are rectangles. That thing is a rectangle. Therefore, it is a square. (This is the answer that you were confused about in the PM, this is not right for the same reason as (B). I like the rectangle and square example because it is obvious that although all squares are rectangles, the opposite statement is not true. This statement is the equivalent of saying all rectangles are squares)
E: All squares are rectangles. That thing is not a square. Therefore, it's not a rectangle. (Again, flawed logic here but in the negated form. So it's incorrect)

Hopefully that helped a little, I know my way of thinking might be a bit weird but I think the answer is more clear when you do it this way. In the end, all of the incorrect answers had flawed logic

If you (or anybody else!) have any other questions, I might be able to help with those too!
Good luck next week :smile:

*edit made bc I messed up one of the answers
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jsjsjsjs333
Hi! I'm doing the TSA for chemistry, so only doing section 1. I want to score 7-ish, but my scores on papers vary from 60-70 - hoping I get the upper end of that! Also, section 2 looks like an absolute nightmare (especially since you can't really mark it yourself and see how you do!) Good luck to you all, and if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it hahaha

Dang, you're lucky not to have to do Section 2. It's really hard to prepare for bc you have no idea of what's coming. 70 is a pretty good score for chemistry. Good luck!:smile:
Good luck everyone! Just do your best and try not to stress - not much we can do now! TSA is so tough to prepare for. I’m sure whatever happens, you’ll all do amazingly well in your degrees (be it hopefully at Oxford, or even anywhere else, I’m sure you’ll all succeed and so awesome things). Try not to worry too much and remember, it’s not the be all and end all, applications are multi-faceted and whilst the TSA is pretty important there are still many other factors that count. Sending positive vibes!
Reply 25
Original post by kkkkkkkkkkken
Ok so for this one, it's not difficult if you think of it as the more popular version "All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares" (maybe it's because I'm a math person but the way I would go about it is to convert every answer to this same form and compare). In this case, we have the same parallel arguments:

Q: (All trees have leaves) -> All squares are rectangles . (That oak is a tree)-> That shape is a square. (Therefore, it has leaves)-> Therefore, it is a rectangle.

The goal is to essentially create a parallel argument (logically equivalent statement) using the same words for each of the answers to make things easier. All this talk about leaves and trees is designed to make you confused, so this will make it more clear. It doesn't take long to do it in your head.

A: All squares are rectangles.That thing is a square. Therefore, it has to be a rectangle. (Correct)
B: All squares are rectangles. That thing is a rectangle. Therefore, it is a square. (Wrong, because we can't assume that all rectangles are squares. Not only is this not the answer, it is flawed reasoning)
C: All squares are rectangles. That rectangle is pink. therefore, all squares are pink rectangles. (Obviously wrong)
D: All squares are rectangles. That thing is a rectangle. Therefore, it is a square. (This is the answer that you were confused about in the PM, this is not right for the same reason as (B). I like the rectangle and square example because it is obvious that although all squares are rectangles, the opposite statement is not true. This statement is the equivalent of saying all rectangles are squares)
E: All squares are rectangles. That thing is not a square. Therefore, it's not a rectangle. (Again, flawed logic here but in the negated form. So it's incorrect)

Hopefully that helped a little, I know my way of thinking might be a bit weird but I think the answer is more clear when you do it this way. In the end, all of the incorrect answers had flawed logic

If you (or anybody else!) have any other questions, I might be able to help with those too!

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. It does make better sense now thinking in terms of flaws in the rest. I’m finding the math questions more challenging. Quite a hassle. The section 2 is alright tho.
201910261831261000.jpg
How is one supposed to answer this question? I suspect it has got to do with arithmetic progression but dunno how to proceed.
Reply 27

I’m getting C but it’s saying D. What am I doing wrong 6BF5161C-7DBD-4822-8DFB-BFC826D8D64E.jpeg
I’m getting C but it’s saying D. What am I doing wrong 6BF5161C-7DBD-4822-8DFB-BFC826D8D64E.jpeg

So the 58 could be at the start:
The first 8 could be the 8 in the 58, giving 10 more solutions:

And finally the scrap may be upside down giving the final answer:
So 12 solutions
i keep giving up on my essay practices 😣
Original post by ephemeral02
i keep giving up on my essay practices 😣

I have a video on how to approach the essay if you want to have a look.
Reply 31
Original post by political right
So the 58 could be at the start:
The first 8 could be the 8 in the 58, giving 10 more solutions:

And finally the scrap may be upside down giving the final answer:
So 12 solutions

Ohhhh, I didn’t add the “0” option. Thanks soooo much. Can we share essays?
Reply 32
Original post by Fasih178
I have a video on how to approach the essay if you want to have a look.

I’d like a link too please. Is it the one by Jesus college or..?
Ohhhh, I didn’t add the “0” option. Thanks soooo much. Can we share essays?

My essays haven't been great compared to section 1 so don't feel like sharing them. More than happy to discuss it with you though, feel free to PM me!
My essays haven't been great compared to section 1 so don't feel like sharing them. More than happy to discuss it with you though, feel free to PM me!

How have your practice test scores been?
How have your practice test scores been?

Generally 70-75 range but a bit worried as I just got 64 on my last go. How about you? Applying for HumSci btw
Generally 70-75 range but a bit worried as I just got 64 on my last go. How about you? Applying for HumSci btw

I started at around 75, went down to in the 60s, then after some specific things to study I worked up to 80s and a 92 at my highest... Hopefully I won't get nervous and mess it up on test day tho. I'm applying for PPE, idk the general scores for Humsci but I think your score range will set you up well! :smile:
Original post by Fasih178
201910261831261000.jpg
How is one supposed to answer this question? I suspect it has got to do with arithmetic progression but dunno how to proceed.

Okay. Looking at what you wrote you're probably overthinking, because there is way more work written there than necessary.

At first glance, in the first patch you can see that the mushrooms are in a 4x4 square, which is 3 meters x 3 meters. Then the next day its 6x6 mushrooms, or 5x5 meters. So every day the square expands by 2 meters on each side (the pattern). So it will go 5 (today), 7 (tmrw), 9, ..., 101 at which point it's done because it covered the whole 100x100 field. From there it's not difficult, because there are 49 numbers in that progression ( (101-5)/2 +1 ) so it will be 49-1=48 days until the field is covered. Therefore answer is A, not B. This was a question on the 2016 test if I'm remembering correctly.

Let me know if you have any questions.
(edited 4 years ago)
I started at around 75, went down to in the 60s, then after some specific things to study I worked up to 80s and a 92 at my highest... Hopefully I won't get nervous and mess it up on test day tho. I'm applying for PPE, idk the general scores for Humsci but I think your score range will set you up well! :smile:

Sounds like you're going to do great! I am with you when it comes to nerves though, just hope I'll be calm on the day. Best of luck to you :smile:
how are people going about essay planning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending