The Student Room Group

[Official] Oxbridge Philosophy, Theology or Religion Applicants 2020!

Hi guysss,

There was no thread for us so I thought I would start one, however I know there aren't many people applying for our courses so I am not expecting a multitude of responses.

Name:

Oxford or Cambridge?

Course you have applied for:

College you have applied to:

Subjects currently studying:

Predicted grades:

GCSE grades:

Other unis have you applied to:

Extracurriculars:

My name's Maanya and I'm applying to St Peter's College, Oxford for Theology and Religion.

Currently studying: Music Pre-U, History of Art and Biology

Predicted grades: D2AA (A*AA hopefully will get A*A*A)

GCSE grades: 999888A*A*A*A*A*A

unis you have applied to: Durham (2 courses: Theology and LibArts), Bristol and Edinburgh

Extracurriculars: Music, violin/viola, Horse Riding, Ancient History, Archaeology, Cooking, Art and Pottery.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by fiddletrio
Hi guysss,

There was no thread for us so I thought I would start one, however I know there aren't many people applying for our courses so I am not expecting a multitude of responses.

Name:

Oxford or Cambridge?

Predicted grades:

GCSE grades:

Extracurriculars:

My name's Maanya and I'm applying to St Peter's College, Oxford for Theology and Religion.

unis you have applied to: Durham (2 courses: Theology and LibArts), Bristol and Edinburgh

Extracurriculars: Music, violin/viola, Horse Riding, Ancient History, Archaeology, Cooking, Art and Pottery.

Hi,

I’m applying to Robinson College, Cambridge for Philosophy

Alevels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Philosophy

Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A*

GCSE grades: 9A* 2A

Also applied to Durham, St. Andrews, Warwick and Exeter (Insurance) but those we’re all for PPE rather than Philosophy.

Do a few extracurriculars like Music and Sport but didn’t actually these on my PS- only said that I do MUN and Debating in about 2 sentences really...

how how are you guys preparing for your interview?
Reply 3
Reply 4

What made you decide on Homerton as your college?
Reply 5
Original post by Snelljh
What made you decide on Homerton as your college?

I made a big spreadsheet of all the colleges initially and put in stats/comments of things that were important to me, such as ensuite, rent, societies, distance, college size, and so on. Homerton was the college that had most of the things I wanted: Its a large college, it was really beautiful when I saw it on the open day, it offers onsite accommodation for the whole 3 years, it has the lowest rents in Cambridge, and alot more. Of course a (very big) downside is the distance but on the same token its closest to the train station and other shops so I guess its not that bad. Cycling every morning might be good for me in the long run :P
Reply 6
Original post by Georgi.a
I made a big spreadsheet of all the colleges initially and put in stats/comments of things that were important to me, such as ensuite, rent, societies, distance, college size, and so on. Homerton was the college that had most of the things I wanted: Its a large college, it was really beautiful when I saw it on the open day, it offers onsite accommodation for the whole 3 years, it has the lowest rents in Cambridge, and alot more. Of course a (very big) downside is the distance but on the same token its closest to the train station and other shops so I guess its not that bad. Cycling every morning might be good for me in the long run :P

Wow that is really smart! I chose St Peter's in Oxford on the basis that the tutors are all researching niche topics of my interest which I wish to research in PostGrad and also it is very central (near the Sainsbury's) and I have many friends there already. I wouldn't mind if I get pooled though as long as I get in fingers crossed.
Reply 7
Original post by Snelljh
Hi,

I’m applying to Robinson College, Cambridge for Philosophy

Alevels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Philosophy

Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A*

GCSE grades: 9A* 2A

Also applied to Durham, St. Andrews, Warwick and Exeter (Insurance) but those we’re all for PPE rather than Philosophy.

Do a few extracurriculars like Music and Sport but didn’t actually these on my PS- only said that I do MUN and Debating in about 2 sentences really...

how how are you guys preparing for your interview?

@freddiesehgal02 and I have done some practice interview questions this week based on each other's personal statements, and possible questions which the interviewers may bring up.

Oh yh I barely mentioned extra-curricular other than music essay competitions/scholarships/internships won.
Hi there! I'm so glad I've found this thread as I'm the only philosophy and theology Oxbridge candidate at my sixth form, I feel a lil less alone now :smile:

Oxford or Cambridge? Oxford!

Course you have applied for: Philosophy and Theology!

College you have applied to: Worcester

Subjects currently studying: Religious Studies (Eduqas), Politics (Edexcel), English Literature (AQA

Predicted grades: A* A* A!

GCSE grades: secret :wink:

Other unis have you applied to: so far just Birmingham (Philosophy, Religion, and Ethics) and York (just plain ol' Philosophy). I've got offers from both of them!

Extracurriculars: I do some human rights activist stuff, did an EPQ which sort of counts (predicted an A), and I also volunteer with some mentoring for GCSE students!

Best of luck to you all!
Also, if anyone is doing similar A-Levels to me I'd love to have a chat!
Reply 9
Original post by graciefergo
Hi there! I'm so glad I've found this thread as I'm the only philosophy and theology Oxbridge candidate at my sixth form, I feel a lil less alone now :smile:

Subjects currently studying: Religious Studies (Eduqas), Politics (Edexcel), English Literature (AQA

Other unis have you applied to: so far just Birmingham (Philosophy, Religion, and Ethics) and York (just plain ol' Philosophy). I've got offers from both of them!

Extracurriculars: I do some human rights activist stuff, did an EPQ which sort of counts (predicted an A), and I also volunteer with some mentoring for GCSE students!

Best of luck to you all!

Hey, what areas of Philosophy did you focus on in your PS?
Reply 10
Hi guysss,

Name:

Oxford or Cambridge?

Predicted grades:

GCSE grades:

Extracurriculars:

My name's Zam and I'm applying to Keble College, Oxford for Philosophy and Theology.

Currently studying: Government and Politics, History (Modern) and English Literature. I've also done an EPQ. (ALL AQA)

Predicted grades: A*AA

Unis I have applied to: Durham (Liberal Arts), Lancaster (Philosophy and Politics), NCH London (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) [Phil Major], Nottingham (Liberal Arts)

Extracurriculars: Debating, politics, environmentalism, MOOCS
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11

Best of luck to you all!

whoa hello there! I'm applying to Worcester this year as well! (though for theology+religion)
Original post by Pwoper
whoa hello there! I'm applying to Worcester this year as well! (though for theology+religion)

Hello there, fellow Worcester applicant! It's so great to meet someone who's applying there too, and for a similar course, bc everyone at my school is applying to a more sciencey or mathsy college to do sciencey or mathsy degrees! What drew you to Worcester?
Reply 13
Oxford or Cambridge? Oxford

Course you have applied for: Theology and Religion

Subjects currently studying: Philosophy, Politics and History

Test grades: Predicted A*A*A*

Other unis have you applied to: Durham, Bristol, Exeter and St Andrews (had offers from the first three!)

Extracurriculars: Music (singing), drama, shooting, riding, debating and politics!
Reply 14
Original post by Verve

Other unis have you applied to: Durham, Bristol, Exeter and St Andrews (had offers from the first three!)

Extracurriculars: Music (singing), drama, shooting, riding, debating and politics!

Oh and 8A*, 2A for GCSE :smile:
Original post by Verve

I've gone for Worcester too! What swayed you to the college?
Reply 16
I've gone for Worcester too! What swayed you to the college?

It was too beautiful not to apply to! What about you? So annoying we now have the dreadful wait to find out about interview offers!
Reply 17
Reply 18

What areas of philosophy are you most interested in/ what books did you talk about on your PS?
Hi guysss,

Name:

Oxford or Cambridge?

Predicted grades:

GCSE grades:

Extracurriculars:

hello! i'm H.

i'm applying to St Catharine's College, Cambridge for Philosophy.

i took Economics, English Literature and Psychology for my A-Levels. i've completed my A2 and currently on a gap year before i go to university next year.

other than Cambridge, i've applied to Leeds, York, Royal Holloway and Sussex and i've received offers from all four so far.

i'm not much of a sports person and i'm very much into writing and i enjoy debates and MUN.

have you all heard back regarding the interviews and how are you preparing in general?

Quick Reply

Latest