OhHeyItsSoph97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi!

Need a bit of info for after PGCE. It’s my dads 50th in Sept and we’re wanting to take him away but that leaves me with a problem for my NQT year. I can’t see myself having a job straight off the bat but I’m wondering if all full time sub positions start at the beginning of Sept ie term time or would it be possible for me to start one later on? How would this affect my NQT year? I’m feeling a bit lost at the min but it’d be great if someone could help!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by OhHeyItsSoph97)
Hi!

Need a bit of info for after PGCE. It’s my dads 50th in Sept and we’re wanting to take him away but that leaves me with a problem for my NQT year. I can’t see myself having a job straight off the bat but I’m wondering if all full time sub positions start at the beginning of Sept ie term time or would it be possible for me to start one later on? How would this affect my NQT year? I’m feeling a bit lost at the min but it’d be great if someone could help!
Long term supply positions will come up as and when during the year. They may be advertised well in advance, or come up suddenly if someone leaves a school unexpectedly, or has an unexpected illness. Maternity cover etc will start throughout the year, as it will depend on the mother's due date. However, they can also start early, if the mother has to leave work early due to complications in the pregnancy or giving birth before their due date.

To do your full NQT year in the school, you'd need to be in the school for a full 12 months (more if you are part time). You can change schools during your NQT year, but AFIAK it is trickier- and finding two long term supply posts one after the other might be difficult too, if you're worried about finding a job anyway.

TBH, I'd suggest going away during the summer holidays, and trying to get a full time post from September- you're much more likely to get a year long contract if you can start in September. If you're looking to start after September, you might face issues like not being able to find the right post and having a few months out of work (can you afford this?) or only being able to find relatively short term posts, rather than a year long contract.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (162)
18.82%
Labour (371)
43.09%
Liberal Democrats (168)
19.51%
Green Party (48)
5.57%
Brexit Party (22)
2.56%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.35%
SNP (11)
1.28%
Plaid Cymru (7)
0.81%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.12%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.12%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)