How to convert a UK law degree to an Australian/New Zealand one

Watch
Shobhalovelace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there! I'm a Malaysian who holds a UK law degree and I am interested to know if I am able to convert my degree to an Aus/NZ degree and qualify as a lawyer there? My family is planning to migrate to either of these two countries and I'm wondering if there is anyone who has done this and if it is possible to get a job there?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shobhalovelace)
Hi there! I'm a Malaysian who holds a UK law degree and I am interested to know if I am able to convert my degree to an Aus/NZ degree and qualify as a lawyer there? My family is planning to migrate to either of these two countries and I'm wondering if there is anyone who has done this and if it is possible to get a job there?
https://www.lpbwa.org.au/Becoming-A-...-and-Qualified
A person who holds an overseas law degree but is not admitted overseas may only apply for assessment if the legal qualification was completed over the equivalent of 3 years full-time study and if their qualification meets admission requirements or qualifies them to undertake practical legal training in their home jurisdiction. All other overseas law graduates must complete an approved or corresponding Australian law degree .
It is a matter for the university to determine what, if any, advanced standing can be given for the studies completed overseas, but in any event, advanced standing would not usually be given for any of the 11 required subjects of an Australian law degree.

Yes but you will have to do further exams and training, just like you would in the UK. You should also find out what the job market is like and your desirability will depend n part on the quality of your degree and uni. A google will give you plenty of articles on this so as a law graduate with developed research skills, I will leave you to it.

Sure its similar for NZ. That is enough to get you started, its all there ive just had a check.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.35%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.88%
Not bothered either way (33)
12.94%
I'm really nervous (48)
18.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed