This discussion is closed.
MedicalMuffins
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

So I’m currently intercalating with a classified masters.

One thing I’m really worried about is getting a rubbish grade this year.

1. If I do end up with a 2:2, for example, will it be frowned upon during speciality applications?

2. Could I be asked about it during interviews as to why I haven't got a 2:1 or 1

I’m aware of all the benefits of intercalating beyond grades. I feel like I’m developing so hopefully it’ll be okay! I’m having a little crisis so I just wanted some thoughts
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MedicalMuffins)
...1. If I do end up with a 2:2, for example, will it be frowned upon during speciality applications
It wouldn't be frowned upon, you just don't get any extra points (for Medicine - IMT / ST4 anyway).

2. Could I be asked about it during interviews as to why I haven't got a 2:1 or 1
I don't think they can, but I could be wrong. You wouldn't get asked at med school interviews "why didn't you get 10 A*s" so why would you be asked that?

I’m aware of all the benefits of intercalating beyond grades. I feel like I’m developing so hopefully it’ll be okay! I’m having a little crisis so I just wanted some thoughts
Just to let you know, for IMT they have recently reduced the number of points you get for intercalating.

6 points for 1st class, 3 points for 2:1 (used to be 8 and 4 respectively) for application points.
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
It wouldn't be frowned upon, you just don't get any extra points (for Medicine - IMT / ST4 anyway).

I don't think they can, but I could be wrong. You wouldn't get asked at med school interviews "why didn't you get 10 A*s" so why would you be asked that?

Just to let you know, for IMT they have recently reduced the number of points you get for intercalating.

6 points for 1st class, 3 points for 2:1 (used to be 8 and 4 respectively) for application points.
That’s so helpful, thank you ecolier

I’m hoping the year is a good one. So trying to be optimistic but just overly thinking about the end grade.

The med school keep emphasising a masters is harder than a Bsc but I’m worried I’m not up to scratch.

Deffo thinking medicine or GP as opposed to surgery so those scores are helpful thank you!
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Just an update of this thread I got a 1st *happy dance*

This wasn’t a brag (I completely trashed my bachelors dissertation at a 2:2 hence why I posted) so spent the year dragging it up.

If Mods want to lock this thread that’s okay!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.34%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.22%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (29)
10.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (81)
30.34%

Watched Threads