students who live in London - would you choose to study in London or not? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
if you live in London (or hypothetically if you can imagine that you lived with your parents in London during 6th form), would you want to apply to university in London and expect to live with parents for your studies (to save money) or...would you rather avoid London entirely? Why or why not?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Don’t care. Mums intent on sending me away though, wants to make me stay in accommodation even if London
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Don’t care. Mums intent on sending me away though, wants to make me stay in accommodation even if London
Same situation
Anonymous #4
Report 3 months ago
i assume this goes for anyone going to uni in the city they grew up in, but attending uni in london to me wouldn’t feel like going to university? it would just feel like i was off to secondary school or sixth form - it doesn’t have that university vibe. also, just the layout of london uni’s aren’t my cup of tea, seeing as they are so spread out and many share the same buildings (eg: ucl shares buildings with soas)
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
if you live in London (or hypothetically if you can imagine that you lived with your parents in London during 6th form), would you want to apply to university in London and expect to live with parents for your studies (to save money) or...would you rather avoid London entirely? Why or why not?
Regardless of where I go I would live out for the first year. Probably cos I live in a strict brown household but for the first year as a minimum. I feel like it depends on how social u want to be as well as some towns/cities offer good nightlife others don't. With London it's a good but expensive nightlife imo. But being a londoner in used to everything being expensive
Anonymous #5
Report 3 months ago
im a sixth form student from london and i cant wait to get away. Its mainly my parents because i dont like my mum but i also think university is a good time to learn to live on your own and be free, which you cant really do at home.I understand if its for financial reasons though.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
i assume this goes for anyone going to uni in the city they grew up in, but attending uni in london to me wouldn’t feel like going to university? it would just feel like i was off to secondary school or sixth form - it doesn’t have that university vibe. also, just the layout of london uni’s aren’t my cup of tea, seeing as they are so spread out and many share the same buildings (eg: ucl shares buildings with soas)
I mean with London being so big, and if you live on the outskirts of London then going to a London University (away from home) would be different
AmazingPhysicist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
3 weeks ago I started Physics at Imperial College London. The main campus, the one I go to, is in South Kensington. I live in Woodford. It's about an hour on the train plus 20 minutes of walking in between. I don't mind it. Most of the time the trains are working fine. As long as the trains are running and there's room to stand then it's fine. I don't mind waking up early. I wasn't ready to move out yet. I like living at home. Of course I will learn to cook and use a washing machine and all that stuff before eventually moving out, but right now I like living at home. It depends on your circumstances. London is an expensive city to live in. Most people in year 13 at my old school were put off applying to London unis due to high prices. If you can budget well then it's ok, I usually bring packed lunch because I have several food intolerances (gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast, egg, nuts, soy, seeds (including sesame)). During the train journey I usually listen to music, not too loud, as it relaxes me a bit. This is especially good for when the train is crowded. I intend to keep on living at home for the entirety of uni, I don't mind commuting. It's about finding alternative routes if some of the trains aren't working and getting yourself to and from uni safely. It depends on where you live, but I'm fine with it. Living at home is great for someone like me. I have my own bed, my own books, my own parents who will support me no matter what. I know that not everyone is as fortunate, but I am fine with my current situation. Imperial is a great university and I'm happy I'm there.
AmazingPhysicist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I mean with London being so big, and if you live on the outskirts of London then going to a London University (away from home) would be different
Woodford, where I live, is on the outskirts, I don't mind getting the train every morning. I'm used to it now. I got the bus to and from school every day for 7 years. That was an hour each way. So I'm used to commuting. Of course it depends on your circumstances.
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
I grew up in London and studied at a top university in London. My parents made sure I moved out and got the true university experience. It was great. However, I am now debating applying for a masters, if I do I will be applying outside of London. I want to get that campus experience and outside of London is much cheaper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (57)
34.97%
I really love the subject (42)
25.77%
I don't know what else to do (21)
12.88%
I can't get a job (12)
7.36%
My parents want me to (4)
2.45%