eclipseis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey !
this is my first post ever on here so if it's in the wrong place or something please tell me haha

I'm in Year 11, and yesterday I had a sixth form open evening. For my GSCE choices, I did History and Spanish (not way am I doing either for A levels), music and computer science. But, I always regretted not doing drama for GSCE and I really wanted to do it for A level. Before the open evening, I was set on wanting to do psychology, politics and drama because they all sounded interesting. However, after that I've realised I don't really want to do politics, I really want to do music since learning you study pop and musical songs, performance is 35% and composition is only 15%!

But, my parents will not let me do music and drama, but I really really really want to do both, I don't know what to do. I feel like the only way I can do drama is if I do a fourth A level (maybe biology?). But what is doing a fourth A level like, is it really hard? Or are my parents right that I shouldn't music and drama for A level?

thank u to anyone who took the time to read / reply to this !!
Last edited by eclipseis; 1 year ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do the subjects you really want to do because you won’t be able to do well in a subject you won’t like because you won’t be able to motivate yourself in that subject. Doing a fourth a level isn’t hard if you are able to balance your subjects so if you wanna do a fourth a level go for it and if you can’t handle 4 you can drop it. However you have to bear in my mind want you wanna do after sixth form and if you are able to have access to the option you want to go in through your a levels (e.g. if you wanted to go into medicine degree, you would need defo chemistry and maybe biology depending on the degree at uni)
kelsie23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
think about what career you would like, it doesn’t have to be your final decision you can change your mind. research the a levels you need for this career and aim towards that. if you really have no idea what you want to do, which is completely normal and okay, then do what you enjoy. you can always begin with the 4 a levels if you wish to do biology. you may cope well with all 4 and stay in the courses. or you may struggle under the pressure and have to drop one or even change your subjects completely. both options are completely fine. but ultimately you need to do what you want to do and ignore everyone else because you need to be in control of your life in order to be happy. i think that doing music and drama together will be great as they compliment each other. also, don’t forget the psychology is an academic subject which will balance your creative subjects and widen your options in the future. good luck! don’t forget you have plenty of time to figure this out!
Last edited by kelsie23; 1 year ago
claudia_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by eclipseis)
Hey !
this is my first post ever on here so if it's in the wrong place or something please tell me haha

I'm in Year 11, and yesterday I had a sixth form open evening. For my GSCE choices, I did History and Spanish (not way am I doing either for A levels), music and computer science. But, I always regretted not doing drama for GSCE and I really wanted to do it for A level. Before the open evening, I was set on wanting to do psychology, politics and drama because they all sounded interesting. However, after that I've realised I don't really want to do politics, I really want to do music since learning you study pop and musical songs, performance is 35% and composition is only 15%!

But, my parents will not let me do music and drama, but I really really really want to do both, I don't know what to do. I feel like the only way I can do drama is if I do a fourth A level (maybe biology?). But what is doing a fourth A level like, is it really hard? Or are my parents right that I shouldn't music and drama for A level?

thank u to anyone who took the time to read / reply to this !!
Pop songs and musical numbers aren’t the only sections in A Level Music. You have to study classical, baroque, romantic, fusions, early experimental 20th century - that’s about 52 piece for most exam boards. These pieces have to be studied in depth. At the end of the two years you will answer one paper consisting of SAQs, melodic dictation and two essays, lasting two hours. Performance standard should be at least grade 7 to be able to achieve full marks (anything lower the most you can get it 40/60).
Composition is fine so long as you can read music and get creative, but it isn’t worth much of your A Level.
As for taking Biology as a fourth a A Level…it is often though of as easy but it is far from it! A Level Biology is a very content-heavy subject (more so than subjects such as chemistry) and will require a lot of your time. You will take three papers at the end of the two years each about 1hr30/45.
As for taking both Music and Drama, it really depends on what you want to go on to study in the future - taking many arts subjects can limit your options in the future. It’s always better to have a broad range of subjects (eg. a science, an arts subject and one other such as another science or humanities). Normally I would defend the arts subjects, but I’ll have to agree with your parents on this one…sorry!
Science subjects include: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology.
Taking a fourth A level will take a lot of commitment and effort, and I would also think very carefully about the subjects you wish to choose - it’s seems you may have underestimated some of them. Do a lot of research before you make your final decision.
I don’t mean to sound harsh - you’re still young and it seems like ages away until you go to uni/get an apprenticeship or whatever your plans may be, but I promise it will roll around fast! But please do think before you leap - A Level are hard and you want to make sure that you are taking ones that you will thrive in, but will also keep your options open.

(I took A Level Biology, Chemistry and Music and will be starting Biomedical Science this September if you’re wondering. )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads